It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 04:02 PM   #1

Burning_Inside HB User
Post 2 OTC supplements you hypo people may be interested in

Maca:

"Maca has been gaining a reputation as a legitimate sexual stimulant since it increases
frequency and rigidity of erections. If that isn't enough to sell you, it also looks as if it
may improve thyroid function! It's uncertain exactly how and why Maca works but
studies have shown it to have a direct influence on the hypothalamus/pituitary axis. The
pituitary gland directly affects the thyroid and therefore may be at the cause of many
thyroid deficiencies. Anecdotal evidence is strong in support of the use of Maca, but it
doesn't come from the bodybuilding community or a supplement company. It comes
mostly from post menopausal women, who are most a risk for hypothyroidism. T4 levels
have increased up to 2 points in one month in most patients. (Comparable to a pre-contest
cycle of Triacana.) I've personally tested the effects of Maca with a blood test. Blood
tests don't lie. T4 was indeed higher with it than without it."

7-keto-dhea:

"Research has shown that 7-Keto DHEA increases thermogenic enzyme activity and
supports proper thyroid function. Test subjects have shown to lose up to 10 pounds in
three weeks from daily doses of 200 mgs a day. 7-Keto DHEA (which will not convert to
testosterone or estrogen) has been proven so effective at raising thyroid function that doctors who prescribe thyroid hormone replacement often warn their patients NOT to use
7-Keto DHEA because it will increase the effectiveness of the thyroid drugs! Well, why
not try the 7-Keto DHEA first and see if that helps! Or use it in conjunction with a lower
dose of drug? Doctors. Eeeerg. Don't get me started.
7-Keto DHEA has been shown to be free of side effects in therapeutic dosages. Most
reassuring is the fact that body temperature will not exceed 98.6 when using 7-Keto
DHEA, even in high dosages."

Taken from the book "Bottom line bodybuilding"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Good sleuthing. That sounds like a good book. I would like to see the source of their information, for corossreferencing and verification, but from what I have already read over the years, I don't doubt the information completely.

I take Maca, personally, I haven't compared blood tests or levels, bu tI do know that I feel better on it, and I DO know that when I feel better, my sex life improves. My lovely fiance will attest to the fact that since I started back on Maca several weeks ago I have been more frisky.

7-keto-DHEA is good for women, too, I have read, though I know less about it. I have been tested low on DHEA, so I take DHEA (when I remember). Being Male, though, the advantages of the 7-keto-DHEA are less obvious for me than plain DHEA, so I haven't tried it.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-11-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Meep, Oh so that's why we haven't seen much of you lately. That wiley Maca drug has lured you away. Okay, now a serious question about it. I think I need my T4 a little lower and my T3 a little higher. Would Maca be bad for me? Thanks, IWL

Old 09-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #4

Burning_Inside HB User
i dont think yuod want maca then

Old 09-12-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwannalife:
Meep, Oh so that's why we haven't seen much of you lately. That wiley Maca drug has lured you away. Okay, now a serious question about it. I think I need my T4 a little lower and my T3 a little higher. Would Maca be bad for me? Thanks, IWL
*sheepish grin* What can I say? It works for me.

I dont' think taking Maca woudl be a bad idea, but I think Selenium make more sense, if you aren't already taking it. 80% of the T3 in your blood should be converted from T4 by the liver (i.e. it isn't actually from the thyroid gland). SO, if you are deficient in Selenium, the liver can't convert as much T3 as it should, adn you'll be a little low on T3.

Start with 200mcg a day for a month then drop back to 100mcg a day for maintenance and see if that helps your T3 come up some. Since that T3 will be from T4 that has been converted, your T4 should drop slightly, too.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-12-2003, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
I've been taking 200mg of selenium for almost 3 months. I have always been stubborn. I think the only way for me to get my T3 up is to take it alone. As for my liver, I have almost never drank(1st drink when I was 30), never did any meds or drugs, don't have hep., have never taken birth control pills. My liver should be perfect. One thing that's weird about me(oh there are many), with pain meds, dental anesthesia, nitrous, general anesthesia: they work on me really well for about 10 minutes, then poof they're gone. I always wished I could do that with calories. Maybe I do that with selenium too, but don't want to take more. LOL IWL

Old 09-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
I think I need more information on Maca. Who would benefit from it and who wouldn't? Is it for post-menopausal women? Does it effect our thryoid levels?

Sorry if I sound confused http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif but I am.

[This message has been edited by dlkk (edited 09-12-2003).]

Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
What is 7-keto-DHEA? What is it good for? Very interested in it though if anyone wants to comment. Thanks http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-12-2003, 10:45 AM   #9

Burning_Inside HB User
you guys can find all the info you need on this stuff by going to *********** and most likely typing in the name of the supplement with the word thyroid

Closed Thread