It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran

Citykittie HB User
Post Can't fight any longer.

I have had my TSH tested 3 times in 3 months. Each test came back HYPER. Except all the symptoms I complain about are HYPO. When I went to the Endo he said "You don't want to by Hyper." And gave me tests for everything including liver problems. The only test that came back abnormal was ONCE AGAIN my TSH levels. He then gave me a freeT4 and at that point announced that my thyroid problems were gone and to come back in 2 months.

Meanwhile this way I am living is RUINING my life. I sleep and sleep and sleep. This is why no one can understand why my tests come back HYPER. But over the years I have been put on meds for panic and anxiety.

Could it be that the fact I am HYPER is causing me to have the panic and anxiety and the meds I am on for that are causing me to be sleepy???? And if so, do I really need to spell this out to the doctors?

I just need some words of hope. My life is not where I want it to be.

Old 09-11-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Hi,
I see you live in Houston, I live in Spring just north of Houston. I know a really good doc in The Woodlands, not sure if I can post her here, I will check though if you are interested in seeing her. I know she will listen to you and help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
citykittie, what symtoms do you have? Have you ever had a sleep study done? The reason I ask this is that I was diagnosed as hypo early last month. Doc said my TSH was just a bit high at 8.6 (I know that's more than just a bit high). Was put on 50mcg and checked 6 weeks later. TSH was 6.056. I was still sleep almost ALL the time. Doc suggested a sleep study. I thought he was NUTS! I told him I sleep great-never wake up even to go potty. I humored him by going to the consultation with the Doc that does the sleep study. Then I decided to prove my doc wrong. I went for the sleep study. Got the results back.Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (11x per hr where my breathing was reduced by 50% or more). Aparently, I also snore so loud that I bring myself to a lighter stage of sleep (my hubby's been telling me I snore too loud but I thought he was kidding)and my oxygen saturation dropped to a low of 84% from a baseline while awake of 95%. It also showed evidence of an upper airway resistance syndrome that awakens me too. From the snoring, I was aroused to a lighter stage of sleep at least 22x per hr in addition to the actual obstructive events.
And if that's not enough, I apparently move my limbs so much (55xper hr) that I wake myself and don't even know it!
And I thought I was sleeping well!
I go for the CPAP titration on the 15th and I have to take MORE medicine for the limb movements!
I was attributing all my sleepiness to the hypo. Turns out I got more problems too. Well, I guess all we can do is take it one day at a time. I find that I can tolerate things a lot better if I break it down into small increments of time. I try not to think "Oh my God, is every day going to be like this for the rest of my life?". I tell myself "I can get through it, just for today". It really helps me.
I have an aunt who has terminal cancer. She's in remission now but has been told that when it comes back, it's going to get her fast. I also have a friend whose cousin (29 yrs old) also has cancer. She's just recently diagnosed and scared as heck. So I think of my illnesses as a temporary setback. Sure, I have my bad days just as most of us do. But I try to look at it this way. I'm alive and I'm not going to die of this. I wish you the best of luck. I know it's hard to go through this but you'll get past this stage once you get your meds regulated. It may take finding another doc if you're not happy with him.
Barb

Old 09-11-2003, 08:38 PM   #4
Veteran

Citykittie HB User
I would love a better docs name. I don't know what the rules are on here. I posted something once and was threatened to be banned.

But I feel the same about a sleep study. I sleep just fine. I never wake up. I sleep for hours and hours and hours. My hubby says I have begun to snore too. It is hard for me to even believe I snore. I am looking toward the anxiety part of my life causing me to have chronic fatigue.

Thanks for your insight.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Did you have a free T3. That is the ONLY way to know if your body is able to use the thyroid hormone. If TSH is high, then you're hypo. If TSH is low, it doesn't mean hyper or hypo necessarily. It can mean other things. The only way to know is with the FT3. Did they do antibodies? IWL

Old 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Cool

i snore too, but don't THINK i have sleep apnea, and apparently sleep apnea/snoring is one of the symptoms of being hypo ... i dunno -- get another doctor?

i just took a tablespoon of coconut oil (well, an hour ago), and am still absolutely disgusted by it -- any hints??

jb

Old 09-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Citykittie,
I ask and was told I could post the Drs name and city only, so here it is...her name is Leslie Brown, she works out of an office in The Woodlands and I believe she also has an office somewhere in Houston, so if you look up her name maybe you can get both numbers. She is not an endo, but very knowledgeable about thyroid and a lot of other things. She does not just treat symptoms, she looks at the whole person and tries to get to the bottom of the problem.

I have a friend that sees her also, she was having heart trouble, thyroid problems and was a severe diabetic, this doc listened to her complaints, sent her for bloodwork of all kinds, found her thyroid was very out of whack (even though she was suppose to have been treated by an endo) and she was on all the wrong meds for diabetes. My friend had other docs tell her there was nothing wrong with her it was all in her head.
Now for the really good news, my friend no longer needs heart meds, or diabetic meds, her blood sugar is now normal, all she needed was to have her thyroid under control and this doc knew if she corrected the thyroid everything else would fall into place.

Also a good endo is Dr Zia, he is in Tomball, but hard to get in to see at short notice, but he is good.

Hope this helps you out some.

Closed Thread