It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 05:42 AM   #1

donna2.75 HB User
Post Anyone still have twitches?

I am having the overall body twitches really bad right now. They come and go with me. They are usually more prevalent when I lie down to go to sleep and through the night. It is terribly scarey for me and I get really anxious and start to shiver, etc. thinking I have MS or something really really bad with my muscles. I do believe, however, the twitches then get worse and then I get more anxious and so on and so on. What can I take to stop the twitches? Does anyone know?

Thanks, Donna

Old 09-11-2003, 09:18 AM   #2

Hillary HB User
Donna,
I had twitches pretty bad too and thought I had a fatal disease. I now take calcium/magnesium and this helps alot. I take 1 twice a day and 2 before I go to bed. But I don't drink a lot of milk or eat cheese so you may have to go down to 3. The magnesium helps your nerves and muscles and also helps you sleep. Hope this helps.
Hillary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Cool

i have just begun to have minor ones, and shall take magnesium as recommended ...

jb

Old 09-12-2003, 01:00 AM   #4

Dave Y HB User
Donna,

I've had the twitching all over (even on my tongue!) for almost five years now. It seems to be rather common with thyroid disorder, and my neurologist thinks it's linked, even despite the synthroid.

whatever you do, don't go looking up neurological causes. One disease in particular will keep popping up (not MS, and twitching isn't a typical sign of MS anyway). The odds are overwhelming that you don't have that disease (it's a different kind of twitching generally)... but you wouldn't know that from what you read on the internet.

There isn't anything that you can take long term that really helps unfortunately, but the twitching will fade and for some goes away altogether.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:27 AM   #5

donna2.75 HB User
Dave, thanks for your reply, however, I did the search for twitching on the internet over a year ago. Yes I about fainted reading all of it. My twitching will be mild for a few weeks then get heavy and then when it is heavy I lie in bed and have anxiety over it wondering what the heck it is. I just called my doctor today to see if he would prescribe me something for the anxiety at night because I need to sleep for one and the other, I just can't stop my mind from thinking the worse.

thanks again
Donna

Old 09-12-2003, 09:59 AM   #6

poizngypsy HB User
Hi. I didn't have this problem with twitching until I increased my Levoxyl about 5 weeks ago. Then I started getting this twitching/muscle spasm in the crease of my left eyelid and it was nonstop for about 3 weeks. Lately, it comes and goes but starting yesterday, I've had twitches or spasm in my cheek on the left side of my face too. I don't recall having this problem before...at least not this continuous. Usually, I'd have a muscle spasm in my leg or something and then it'd go away. But now with these in my face, they are more irritating and annoying then anything. I assume that it is the thyroid...and hope it is nothing more. Like right now....it's not twitching but earlier it was... what a pain.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
I've had muscle cramps, eye twitches, twitchs in hand and fingers you name it. Take some extra magnesium, potassium and calcium citrate w/vit D. I've also found a yummy way to get some potassium & magnesium is to take a packet of Emer'gen-C before bedtime. If you aren't familiar with it, it is a fizzing drink mix that contains a nice shot of electrolytes with almost no carbs that you put in 4-6 ozs of water. It comes in little foil packets at health food stores or recently I have seen at Walgreens and Osco's drugstores you can buy a case of it for around $8. It comes in lots of flavor, my faves being the tangerine and lemon-lime.

Closed Thread