It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 09:16 PM   #1

TXgirly HB User
Post thyroid,, armour question,,....

HELLO I HAD MY TSH LEVELS DONE FOR MY THYROID, THE DRS SAID THEY WERE ABNORMAL I KNEW THEY WOULD BE,, BUT HE WANTED TO PRESCRIBE SYNTHROID AGAIN AND I ASKED FOR HIM TO RUN MY FREE T-3 AND FREE T-4 BEFORE HE GAVE ME THE PRESCRIPTON, I ASKED HIM IF I COULF GET ARMOUR THATS ITS A NATURAL ONE AND HE TOLD ME NO THAT ITS NOT ONE THAT IS APPROVED BY THE FDA,, IS THIS TRUE>>> HELP,,,,,,,,

Old 09-11-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Not true. It does have full approval, unlike some of the synthetics that have snuck by for odd reasons. Go to the Armour website, print info out and bring it to your dr. if you want to keep seeing him. Insist on FT3 & FT4 tests. They should be at the top end of normal. What was your tsh? Your dr. probably doesn't know he's lying to you. Mine thought Armour cost alot more and insurance didn't cover it. Not true either. Good luck. IWL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #3

TXgirly HB User
ok i dint find that web site that said it was fda approved,,, help...

Old 09-11-2003, 11:27 PM   #4
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
If you look, there's an acronym called USP...if you research that, that indicates all you or the doctor really needs to know. That means it has to be approved and meet standards as to quality and consistency.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Armour was approved by the FDA in 1939. Synthroid wasn't ever approved and I think they've had to do some fancy footwork to keep it on the market. Big industry though, they can buy whoever they want.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
IWL is right. Armour has been approved and dispensed for over a century. Synthroid and all the other T4 synthetics are relative newcomers and tried to bypass the usual FDA application procedures. But the FDA is catching up with them. Synthroid has several major lawsuits against it and I would recommending reading up on those before considering whether you want to take a drug with that kind of history. Your poor dr is just confused. The drug reps tell them crazy stuff against their competitors like Armour because this is a BIG industry. Remember this... the synthetics cost several times more than the old standby Armour. My 2grain dose of Armour I used to take is $9 a month. That is actual cost not a co-pay. If you have insurance your co-pay on Synthroid probably costs more than that. I switched recently to Naturethroid 2gr because it is hypoallergenic though same as Armour just made by another company. It costs $7 a month. You can bet the synthetics manufacturers don't want you to know about Armour, Naturethroid, Westroid or Bio-throid.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:06 PM   #7

Ibis HB User
I think you can find the Armour wen site on the web, search Armour thyroid. Print it out and take it to him. I will never take synthroid again! Terrible stuff. However, i did not know Synthroid was not approved. Your Dr has it backwards!!
Good Luck!!

Old 09-12-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Dee44- If you can't convince your doctor about the Armour, try asking for Westhroid or Nature-throid. Chances are he has heard nothing about them, so can't argue with you. Both are FDA approved. Westhroid has been on the market since 1934. Nature-throid came out sometime in the 1960's as a response to those allergic to corn found in both Westhroid and Armour and red & yellow dyes found in Westhroid. Western Research Laboratories has a website (under the same name ) where you can read about both these meds.

Closed Thread