It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

tootootired HB User
Question Ritalin for energy?

Saw a new doc last week who won't let me try Cytomel with Synthroid(my FT3 is at low end, 2.7 of a 2.3-4.2 range). He suggested I could try Ritalin if my energy is low! I have an appt with an endo in October. I just called his office and found out he only uses Synthroid. So, do I give the Ritalin a try? I'm sick of being so tired.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
If you want to use an amphetamine liek Ritalin to increase your energy, that has to be your decision. I can't say I recommend that approach.

Have you tried Maca? It is good for increasing energy levels and helping to balance hormones. Many people who take it report increased energy levels.

Have you tried Selenium? It is VITAL to the process that converts T4 to T3 in your liver. Since 80% of the T3 in your blood should come from the liver and not the thyroid gland, it makes sense to try it. Start out at 200mcg a day for a month, then drop back to 100mcg a day for maintenance after that.

My feeling is that I woudl try those two things before resorting to an amphetamine.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 09:24 AM   #3
(female)

tootootired HB User
Thanks Meep. I haven't tried selenium, except in a multi vitamin. Is there a particular one you would suggest? Selenium sounds like a better idea than Ritalin, but having energy sounds sooo good!

Old 09-12-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
If you taken Ritalin it would be pointless if your symptoms are related to your under active thyroid. That's what kills me about those doctors that prescribe antidepressants to thyroid patients. What is the point if it is not going to help?

Try the selenium, I swear by it. Be sure you take it with vitamin e supplements and zinc as the 3 of these supplements work together. Be sure you look for brands that do not contain soy, especially the vitamin e. If it doesn't specifically say that it doesn't contain soy, it probably does contain it. I have called many manufacturers to find out. You might want to try health food stores. I found a natural vitamin by country life that doesn't contain soy (if it is a gel cap or oil base then it is a good chance it is soy.) I found a brand of selenium by solgar that also does not have soy. I hope this helps you. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by girlygirly (edited 09-12-2003).]

Old 09-12-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Ritalin actually is not defined as an anti-depressant, but it's more speed-like....amphetamines. Actually one of the drugs they use for things along the lines of Ritalin IS METHAMPHETAMINE (think Gradumet, and Desoxyn as brand names). Why is it not illegal for pharmecutical companies to produce and distribute this stuff? Seems pretty hypocritical of the legal system isn't it? It's illegal to distribute and produce this stuff privately with the justification that it's nasty and addictive and unhealthy, yet it's perfectly fine for the pharmaceutical companies to get people hooked on these useless poisons?

I don't get it.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

tootootired HB User
I'll go to my health food store and get the selenium tomorrow. How much do I take each day? Will the selenium raise the FT3?

Old 09-12-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
I have been taking the 100 mcgs. That is a good place to start (Anything over 400 mcgs is not safe.) You also will need the vitamin e and the zinc. As I said before they work together.

Closed Thread