It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Smile Lab Results Interpretation

I went to the Endo on Wednesday and just picked up my lab results today (I always pick them up on my own so that I can look at them even before I see the doctor). I'm hoping some of you can help me understand them so that I might have a better idea how to respond to his interpretations and might be able to come up with some additional questions. Thanks so much to all of you!!!

TSH 1.0 (.40-5.5)
Anti-thyroglobulin AB 8.3 (0.0-2.0)
Anti-TPO Antibody <0.5 (0.0-2.0)

I have never had the antibody tests done before and really don't understand what they mean. He suspected I might have thyroiditis and I'm still a little vague on what that is. I'm having SO MUCH mental fog today that nothing really is making sense. My TSH was 2.6 a year ago - is it "normal" for it to go down?

Old 09-13-2003, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by tinamarie0914:
TSH 1.0 (.40-5.5)
Anti-thyroglobulin AB 8.3 (0.0-2.0)
Anti-TPO Antibody <0.5 (0.0-2.0)

...He suspected I might have thyroiditis and I'm still a little vague on what that is....

My TSH was 2.6 a year ago - is it "normal" for it to go down?

OK, the test results he gaqve you are a bit shy of what I liek to see run, but they'll give us something to chew on. The TS test is right about where most people feel their best, BUT it is not a good indicator of symptoms at all.

The other two tests are for thyroid antibodies. The Anti-thyroglobulin Antibody is slightly elevated, inidcating that your thyroid gland and the protein that carries much of your thyroid hormones around in your blood is under attack. This can cause a fluctuation in free thyroid hormone (Free T3 and Free T4) levels in your blood, and can cause symptoms even if your TSH and Total T3 and Total T4 are "normal".

This is a problem that needs further investigation. Taking thyroid meds now, might suppress the antibodies some, and many doctors treat based on elevated antibodies, knowing that the symptoms may be caused by the antibodies and that taking the meds will possibly lower your antibody count. Most doctors, however, seeing the "normal" TSH would prefer to wait like your doctor.

My advice? Try Selenium. It has been shown to helpp reduce the antibody count in many patients and help alleviate symptoms, since it helps you utilize thyroid hormones more efficiently. Start at 200mcg a day and stay at that dose for a month. After that drop to 100mcg a day for maintenance.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread