It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 12:50 PM   #1

Ibis HB User
Post Has anyone stopped their HRT?

My sister, younger sister, is after me to stop my permarin. I have been on it for 12 to 15 years? I am mid 50's.
What will happen to me if I do?? Will I grow a Moustache? I am worried I will really change a lot. Does anyone know about this?
Thank you,

Old 09-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
I was on HRT from my early 40's until I was 55. It was great in the beginning, but it went from bad to worse. Had lots of trouble with breakthrough bleeding. The last thing they tried me on was Ortho-Prefest that had me bleeding almost constantly. As an added bonus, it threw me into a depression that was unbelievable. I started keeping a journal, and reading it today makes me wonder why I didn't jump off a tall building or use a shotgun on my husband. Terrible. Anyway, I quit cold turkey. Within a week all spotting stopped. I had maybe 2 hot flashes in the following 6 months. Two years after stopping, I was finally diagnosed Hashi/Hypo. The more I analyize how I felt when they started HRT, the more I'm convinced that it was my thyroid taking a nosedive. In all the years that I was on HRT, not one doctor did any testing to determine my actual hormone levels. I have an occasional hot flash, but that's it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Redford Phyl, This is very personal, but did your sex drive suffer after you stopped the HRT or become not as good. Any facial hair or other things? I'm 50 and have no symptoms that menopause is near(my mom was 64), but I am still convinced I'm goint to take HRT, maybe? Thanks, IWL

Old 09-12-2003, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
I am 44 yrs old and have been taking HRT off and on for the past 3 years. I had all sorts of bad side effects while on it. I went from one HRT to another trying to find one that I could tollerate. I finally stopped using any when I woke up one night with what I thought was a gallbladder attack. I said enough is enough and threw out all of my HRT and have been off of them for almost a year.

If you feel like you don't want to go cold turkey wean yourself off of the HRT slowly by using a lower dosage and then stopping.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:56 PM   #5

Ibis HB User
Thank you for your information. However, I am in the best relationship of my life with a wonderful man almost 10 yrs younger. I don't have any problems with the HRT, but my sister says it is risky. My Mom had ovarian cancer 6 months ago at 87. She had treatments andseems to be OK. So It is for health reasons, but I want to keep my relationship strong too. Any suggestions?

Old 09-12-2003, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Ibis-
It's really up to you if you want to take HRT or not. Read all you can about it and then make a decision.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:26 PM   #7
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
There is no problem with any kind of HRT as long as it is of completely natural sources.

The warnings and everything has to do with the synthetic stuff that the doctors all seem to like.
As a thought (don't read any farther in my post if you have an appetite and are ready to eat), Premarin comes from horse urine. While the estrogen is natural enough and checked to be consistent, the progesterone in the mixture is a synthetic analog called progestin and this is where the problem lies with all the news reports.

They convienently forget to mention that completely natural sources are just fine

Old 09-12-2003, 03:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Sky Eagle, If I can eat pig thyroid, horse urine isn't going to bother me. I assume it's steam cleaned or something? So could a person take the Premarin and instead of the Provera, use the progesterone cream. There isn't a "natural" progesterone pill is there? Thanks, IWL P.S. The increased risk of ovarian cancer looked like it was for women on unopposed estrogen(Premarin without progesterone)?

Old 09-12-2003, 04:29 PM   #9
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
I can tell you that I had no adverse effects from stopping HRT. My sex drive is the same as ever, I'm not growing facial hair (something all of us Italian women are accused of), and I still look a lot younger than I am. At 59, my hair is still chestnut with not more than a few dozen strands of white. I'm not loaded with wrinkles. The drug companies have us convinced that we MUST have hormone replacement. My mother never had a hot flash in her life, but a doctor who has since lost her license convinced her that even with a heart damaged by a bout of rheumatic fever she needed Premarin. She died from a heart attack at the age of 62. 'Nuff said.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:43 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
I agree with you that the drug companies have us convinced that we need HRT.

Old 09-12-2003, 06:55 PM   #11

Ibis HB User
Sky_Eagle1
What are the natural sorces of HRT, forgive me if aI am asking a question that has been spoken about.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:04 PM   #12

Ibis HB User
Hi all, FinallY!! dragged my self to a OBGYN. My Wonderful thyroid Dr has not gotton around to it, and I feel like a school kid that did not get called on when I get out . scott free!
So I did the adult thing and went to a very nice Lady OBGYN. She said if I had any negetative bone density tests, I should stay on the Premarin. It helps bone density. I am on Fosamax and have not taken it because I have to take the thyroid 1 hr before breakfast. But, my new DR says Fosamax is not Calcium?? Does any one know??
Have a friend in from CA tomorrow, will ckeck in when I can.
Thank you so much, for your support. I feel like I can talk to you about all of this.
I

Old 09-13-2003, 06:36 AM   #13

jewels4255 HB User
Question

Hey Ibis,

I too was concerned about stopping my HRT. I have only been on Premphase for 9 months due to full menopause after my thyca surgery and RAI back in Oct. of last year. I am just as concerned about all the Menopause symtoms, my low sex drive, vaginal dryness, dry hair and yucky skin returning, since I am married to a wonderful man 10 yrs. my junior (I am 49). I also do not want to lose any of my energy(what little I have these days)!After speaking to my Pharmist she told me I could quit cold turkey in the middle of my dial and that I may have slight headaches for awhile but that it would not have any adverse effects. She said to see if any of my meno symptoms returned and to what degree, then make a decision about going back on the Premphase.
I found that the HRT added 12 lbs of weight and major fluid retention even though I am at a TSH level of .001 as of my July blood work. My Endo reduced my Synthroid to 88mcg and left the Cytomel dose the same. I feel alot better since the dose reduction. My next lab work is due again in October so I will see where my levels are then. In the mean time, I stopped my premphase 3 days ago and so far so good...I will let you know how it goes!
jewels ‹

Old 09-13-2003, 02:39 PM   #14
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Ibis:
Sky_Eagle1
What are the natural sorces of HRT, forgive me if aI am asking a question that has been spoken about.
Well basically you just have to look for the proper name of the substance. As far as telling you more, I don't really know that much about it.

Closed Thread