It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Post synthroid and antiacid - just took em - help

Hi all,

I took my 50 mcgs of synthroid this morning and then HAD to take something for heartburn. (gaviscon with aluminum and magnesium)...I've read that they shouldn't be taken close together - but why? Am I going to get sick or does it just decrease the effectiveness of the synthroid??

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
You won't get sick. The absorption of the synthroid will be somewhat decreased for this dose only. Don't worry about it, but don't do it again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Antacids can bind to the T4 and prevent absorption. Don't worry it won't make you sick. You just won't likely absorb as much of your thyroid med. You can miss a couple doses without it affecting you.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Thanks guys!! Maybe with a little less I can sleep tonight!! (only about 11 days into this and only slept 2 hours last night! ARGH!)

Thanks for your help!

Kathy

Closed Thread