It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 05:50 PM   #1

fish HB User
Post Synthroid in A.M.?

I'm going to start synthroid .075 (I think that's the dosage) tomorrow. The literature says not to have calcium products for 4 hours. The pharmacist said 1 hour. When in the world do you take it, and then have cereal and milk? Fish

Old 09-13-2003, 07:08 PM   #2

fish HB User
I also need to know if it's better to take the medicine in the morning or at night. It seems to fit into a night schedule better food wise, but I've always heard of people taking this medicine in the morning. Thanks for all your help! Fish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #3

fish HB User
Hey, I'm new to this medicine. I'm sure lots of you take synthroid. I need some advice! Fish

Old 09-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I asked the same question about milk and cereal a few months ago. Here's the link to that discussion: [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/002915.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/002915.html[/url]

Realistically... You still shouldn't take the med within 4 hours of a calcium supplement or antacid; but my doctor said that it would not hurt to eat cereal with a little milk after one hour. The med should have entered the small intestine by that time, and would not be bound up by the milk's calcium once it's there. (Of course, he's been wrong about other things. You could double check with a pharmacist... Their knowledge is primo!)

I don't think it would hurt if you take the med at night; I've seen other people do it that way. You must be sure your dinner has digested and that you haven't had any snacks within the previous three to four hours, though. It's still better to have an empty stomach when you take it.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
My dr and pharmacist both told me take thyroid replacement in the morning. I think that's the golden rule, though have heard of some that take it at night. According to my dr you need to take the thyroid meds no later than noon or else you are working against your circadian rhythm. I saw an article in a recent Readers Digest on what they called the new trend with dr's to prescribe medications for specific time frames only.

As for the breakfast dilemma, change your meal to something else. Protein in the morning is better for you energy wise than is carbs & sugar which is what cereal and milk is. Have your calcium 4 hours apart from your thyroid meds or else it will bind to the T4. This includes avoiding calcium fortified antacids, fruit juices, cereal, some breakfast bars and multivitamins.

Old 09-14-2003, 08:49 AM   #6

fish HB User
Thanks for the replies. When can I eat anything that does not have calcium after I take the pill? Do I have to wait for eggs, etc.? By the way, what do I eat? I like whole wheat cereal with a little milk in the morning. I can't eat eggs every day! Fish

Old 09-14-2003, 09:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Did you click on the link I gave you to read the whole discussion? There are a lot of suggestions there. In the end, though, I chose to go ahead and eat my cereal at least an hour later... longer if I wasn't very hungry, and I still managed to get hyper on my dose. It doesn't seem as though it hurt the absorption for me very much.

This is what I've read in several places: If you choose to eat the cereal/milk each and every day, at the same time without fail, you may end up on a higher dose than you would need without the milk. You'll still absorb what you need from the dose in spite of the calcium content. But if your breakfast habit changes dramatically, and you no longer have the milk, your dose may become too high for you and need adjustment. It's probably more sensible to pick one plan and stick with it. Adjustments are difficult to do.

Does that make sense?

Old 09-14-2003, 09:18 AM   #8

fish HB User
I have now read your whole link. Thanks. I am new to that part of this board. My mom and sister have taken synthroid for years and years. Don't think anyone ever told them about calcium interraction. I would go back to bagels and jam, but they are high in carbs and now seem not so good for you. I do love eggs, but can't have that everyday. Any other suggestions on good breakfast stuff? Fish

Old 09-14-2003, 09:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Midwest- I think that's a very good advice. I wish I had thought to mention that last night when I responded! If you must eat milk for breakfast you may just have to be on a slightly higher dose of thyroid med. But it also depends how fast your stomach empties and that varies by person and by meal. I would just not have milk, calcium fortified cereal AND calcium fortified juice. A lot of breads have calcium added too. I prefer to avoid calcium in the morning but I am hypoglycemic thus was put on the hi protein diet. eat bacon, eggs, sausage or peanut butter for breakfast.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:42 AM   #10
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Hi,
I set my alarm for 6.00 am,and take my thyroxine with a little water,then when I get up at 8.00am,I eat what I want which is usually a protein supplement,and maybe some croisants,with honey.
Garry

Closed Thread