It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

donsabi HB Userdonsabi HB User
Question Symptom Flare Up - Why?

I have had hypothyroidism for a long time and taking 75mcg Synthroid with minimal problems. Without any warning my symptoms became so bad I couldnít work. I have been diagnosed with Hashimotoís and they increased my meds but Iím not doing much better. I have asked the docs why my symptoms came on so suddenly and they have not given me a reasonable explanation. Can anyone explain why the symptoms can be almost dormant for many years and then suddenly flare up? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

happy4us HB User
Donsabi,
What are your symptoms? Do you have current labs including thyroid panel, cbc w/ dif, and ana?

I suffer from Hashi's but I see a rheumatologist because I have extremely high ANA. My rheumatologist is watching me for Lupus (which can cause Hashi's) and told me that if I develop Lupus that the many symptoms would come on quickly and in extreme. The labs would also look very much different. One example is the wbc. Mine is always high or high-normal. He told me that if I develop Lupus it will drop to 3 or 4 thousand instead of the 10 or 13 thousand that it runs now.

Of course there are many other indicators in your labs but the point is that you obviously feel much worse suddenly and don't know why.

If you could share more about what you're going through then maybe someone with more experience could also lend their expertise.

Hope this helps,
happy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 01:12 PM   #3

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

I,too,have had what I call "Thyroid Blow-up". About once every two years or so(usually after weight lose) my symptoms return. Right after I notice the symptoms my thyroid gland will start to swell. The most likly answer(I think)that I have been given is that my thyroid gland is producing it's own T4&T3, which throws me into Hyper-T. Hyper-T symptoms look like Synthroid overdose. My guess is that the thyroid gland may cotrol the body and the body controls the gland. I know that for me some of these blow-ups follow stress,illness or pain. I know too,that we are all looking for THE ANSWER.I hope it comes soon. Lab work has not been my answer,only how I feel when I lower/raise the dose for a while. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis will come and go away without doing anything.BUT, you will have symptoms until it does go away. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-14-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

donsabi HB Userdonsabi HB User
Thanks to happy4us and ANNETTH for responding. These are my latest labs.
7/14/03
Free T4 = 1.1 (0.8 - 1.8)
TSH = 5.25 (0.40 - 5.50)

Increased Synthroid from 75mcg to 88mcg.

9/5/03
Free T4 = 1.01 (.071 - 1.85)
TSH = 1.93 (.032 - 5.00)

Thyroid Perox Ab = 26.4 H Range <2.0
Anti= TPO Antibodies

Fatigue and brain fog are my worst symptoms. I do have some hours of relief but most of the time I am just to tired to do anything. Symptoms came on suddenly with the heat and humidity of summer. I feel better on cool days. I have a slightly lower body temperature. No fever at all.
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by donsabi (edited 09-14-2003).]

Closed Thread