It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Post About the Dairy Queen Hypo-T commerical

Well is anyone else offended by the commercial? I think we should all write to complain and maybe Dairy Queen will mail us a bunch of free coupons. Seriously, its a rude thing to use in advertisements. Why pick on hypo-T's? If they'd said diabetics or anything else they would have already had a lawsuit against them. I really like DQ's dipped cherry cones, so I may have to write and complain. But I don't think eating too much ice cream caused me to be hypo.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
OK fill me in I don't watch TV all that much, what is the commercial and what do they talk about? Or even better any place where I can ******** a capture of it to know what you're talking about? (I doubt they'd object to the increased advertising really)

I got to thinking the last commercials I've seen were for the REd white and blue blizzard with the dumb guys turning their blizzard cups upside down doing stupid things with them.

[This message has been edited by Sky_Eagle1 (edited 09-13-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Inactive

roni624 HB User
Angela....yes...please fill me in. I don't understand why would DQ make fun of hypo's unless they meant eating the ice cream would make you hyperactive. But even that would not be a good advertisement for business. I hope you are still up because now I am going to want to know this.-Roni

Old 09-13-2003, 04:29 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Mary Shomon's newest newsletter had a tidbit on this commercial that has someone going back for more icecream saying that they have a thyroid problem. It is pretty insensitive. It's bad enough when a doctor does not want to hear about your weight issues as a thyroid problem, this will just reinforce the stigma. I went online to try to e-mail DQ and the only way to contact them is by phone, how annoying.

Old 09-13-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
Inactive

roni624 HB User
You can email DQ when you scroll further down the public citizen page. It is highlighted for the media and I left them a detailed letter about this commercial. I hope they will respond to me but not expecting it.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:08 PM   #6

AngelicaB HB User
I saw this commercial too and I thought it was very rude but didn't even think of emailing them. I will have to do that!

Old 09-13-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
So no one has a blow-by-blow account of this commercial, nothing more than just a vague series of events? I'd like to make something of this if I can, but it's hard with just a vague description of what they did.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
SkyEagle- The ad is like this... a customer keeps going into the Dairy Queen again, and again and again for an ice cream blaming the frequent visits on a thyroid problem. About as humorous as the another recent ad with the two dumb guys. That's a weird sort of plunge for DQ to make insulting others trying to be funny. Reminds me of a child trying to get attention. All they gotta do to sell ice cream is show pictures of their sundaes. The food is good, well the ice cream is, so I don't see why they have to resort to taking low blows. Will the next commercial pick on hypoglycemics stopping by to raise their blood sugar??

Old 09-13-2003, 07:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Oh I just gave them a piece of my mind! I wish you guys could see what I wrote. I suggested they use the truth of hair falling into Blizzards. I suggested that they run a contest. Throw a cancerous thyroid into a shake and tell the people if they find the prize, they'll be the proud owners of a large, spacious thyroid with a special all inclusive option-cancer. I wonder if they're going to e-mail me back-NOT!!! I just can't believe any company can be so ignorant as to put such steriotypes in their commercials. My husband laughed his butt off and said "Man you really laid it into them, didn't you?"
Oh yes! Tell all your family and friends to e-mail their opinions to Dairy Queen. I sure will! I never saw the commercial but I'm glad I heard about it.
THERE! GOT IT OFF MY CHEST! LOL!!!
Barb

------------------
"Life, for all its agonies...is exciting and beautiful, amusing and artful and endearing... and whatever is to come after it-we shall not have this life again."

Old 09-13-2003, 07:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
I think the DQ customer service is going to be putting in some overtime the next few days answering complaint letters. I got a response by email within 15 minutes apologizing to me. However I asked for a nationwide apology to be carried by the media and they made no mention of that. They only said they would take my complaint seriously and consider it when making plans for advertising for remainder of year. Oh-good so next year we can anticipate more ads making fun of health conditions? An FYI-the advertising genius responsible for the commerical is Grey Worldwide.

I anticipate making some calls to the two local DQ's, just to let them know I am offended and won't be paying them a visit anytime soon. The woman that owns one of the local restuarants is a real nice lady, so just going to tell her how appalled I am and to please pass it on. No use being ugly to those that have nothing to do with the stupid ad. I don't care if their corporate headquarters is long distance I will call them too!

Old 09-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I think you guys have missed the point. You have to catch the very beginning of the commercial, which I didn't get the first three times I saw it.
The announcer says it might be a good idea to give away free "Triple" chocolate sundaes to sets of triplets as a marketing gimmick. Then the twin girls bring this tall, beefy guy dressed as they are with them to get their free ice cream. To explain why the guy doesn't look like the other two, he give a series of excuses... For the last one he shrugs and says, "I got a ty'roid issue?"
I have to disagree with y'all ... I think it's hilarious. It makes me laugh each time it's on. People who just eat too darn much and don't move enough have been using the thyroid excuse for centuries to explain why they're big. This is the premise the advertisers are using. They aren't saying anything about anyone who is truly hypo.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 09-14-2003).]

Old 09-13-2003, 09:24 PM   #12
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
I am definitely going to spread the word about this to every place I can. I am even going to write my first letter to the editor and put it into some newspapers.

One more question though about the ad...was this customer male or female? Fat or thin? Muscular?

[This message has been edited by Sky_Eagle1 (edited 09-14-2003).]

Old 09-13-2003, 09:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Sky, he is tall and muscular... not fat. That's why he looks so ridiculous trying to pass himself as a petite, cute cheerleader type like the other girls.

Old 09-13-2003, 09:48 PM   #14
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
The implication here, though, is that they feel they can make fun and belittle with the idea of thyroid disorders. They wouldn't dare even consider substituting that with "hypoglycemic" or "diabetic" because they know their world would crash down on them. But because of the ignorance and limited awareness, thyroid disease is still OK in their eyes to link to gluttony through this stereotyping. It's not good to stereotype diseases like this in any way, even if it is a horrid attempt at comedy.

Do I need to try to explain WHY this is offensive?

[This message has been edited by Sky_Eagle1 (edited 09-14-2003).]

Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Sky Eagle, Big dark beefy(chunky guy), if I remember. I thought it was funny. I'm sorry. IWL P.S. My husband thought they probably started with pituitary gland, but decided alot of people wouldn't understand.

[This message has been edited by Iwannalife (edited 09-14-2003).]

Closed Thread