It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 06:24 PM   #1

Kacey1 HB User
Post Thyroidectomy recovery time

I'm scheduled to have a thyroidectomy on Tuesday 9/16 because of a nodule that is suspicious of follicular cancer.

I currently take care of my 7 month old daughter during the day. She weighs about 20 lbs. The surgeon told me that I would probably be fine to take care of her by myself 3 or 4 days after the surgery. This would work out well as my husband has arranged to stay home that week and return to work the following Monday. But yesterday I went to the hospital for a pre-surgery appointment and the nurses told me that I shouldn't be picking the baby up (especially not off the floor) for at least two weeks!

I know everyone recovers differently but since I may need to arrange for childcare it would be helpful to get a ballpark idea of recovery time from the thyroidectomy veterans out there.

Thanks very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Kacey,
I had my thyroid removed in July due to follicular cancer. Recovery time seems to be a little different for everyone. I had 2 surgeries and my recovery was pretty quick with the first one. My husband took a week off work and I was able to take care of the kids(4 yrs and 5 months) again by the time he went back to work. The first few days after my surgery I remember feeling sore and really tired, but after that I seemed to recover pretty fast. My neck was still a little sore, but I was able to pick up the baby without any problems.

Take care and good luck with your surgery~
Hilery

[This message has been edited by hilery79 (edited 09-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
mine was a little different
I had a partial done on the 5th of August, and since then, I've had quite a few additional problems that may or may not be related to the surgery, but definitly to the recovery. The surgery went awesome, went home two days after. The following week I went to the er because of a very swollen incision area...turned out it was a throat infection which was causing the area to be extra swollen because of the glands...few days later, I went back because part of my incision was oozing and they were very worried about it getting infected, so that caused another glitch in the recovery process. During this time, I was taking medicaiton that I am slightly allergic to but its the only one that really works...I took it for 22 consecutive days where normally you only take it for ten. It caused rashes, yeast infections, diarreha- besides the dizziness, vomiting, headaches and so on that came with the throat infection...I HAD A FUN 5 WEEKS!!! So know I have two little bubbles along the incision line that will turn into teo lovely little scars...ANYWAY, I think my recovery was just because my body hates me. But the second day I got up I felt awesome!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #4

KazKan HB User
I am glad you posted this. I am scheduled for a partial on 9-25. Third biopsy came back with atypical cells. I have 2 and 6 year olds at home. What pre-op things have you had to do? Tests, fasting??? I have heard I will be down for rest the first week then work on getting back to regular activity. Good luck with your surgery and thanks for the post!! KK

Old 09-15-2003, 02:14 PM   #5

cuello HB User
Hi, I just had a total thyroidectomy 10 days ago. The worst of it was the residual discomfort from the breathing tube but otherwise the incision caused no pain. As for recovery time, I was told not to lift anything over 10 lbs for approx. 10 days. I feel great now and up to lifting but am heeding the doc's advice. I too have a toddler and have refrained from carrying him too much lately.
My rec. is to insist on 2 Motrin asap. I had no need for morphine or codeine. The Motrin really did the trick. Throat felt fine in 4 days. The worst discomfort lasted for 2 days or so but you are mobile and able to eat almost immediately.
Good luck!

Closed Thread