It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 07:45 AM   #1

Rachelyne HB User
Angry Thyroid surgery

Please can anyone tell me what I have to do before the removal of half of my thyroid. I heard to take lots of calcium. What other advice do you have for me? My Surgery is this coming tuesday. Thank you.

------------------
Rachelyne

Old 09-13-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
I don't know anything about that since I am fairly new to hypothyroidism. I'll bump you up to the top of the list so someone who knows answers to your questions might see it. Good luck!
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 05:21 PM   #3

McButter3 HB User
Rachel,

I can't think of anything special to do before thyroid surgery. I had my entire thyroid removed. Taking extra calcium will not matter, your body will only take and use what it needs. Any extra you take you will pee right out.

Try to take care of yourself. I have 3 young kids so I had car pooling and all of their stuff to deal with prior to surgery. Good Luck you will do just fine!

Old 09-13-2003, 07:31 PM   #4

Rachelyne HB User
Thanks so much for bumping me. I have two children that go to school also. I have to get better as soon as I can so I can take care of them.

ArtfulD,
I remember reading about your surgery long time ago. Please if you read this let me know what you did before and after your surgery. I believe in homeopathy too. I will have half my thyroid removed. Since my needle biopsy was suspicious they will check the frozen section after the surgery (we agreed on two day surgery). Then I have to go back for another surgery to remove the rest if they find cancer. I think I have the same surgeon. His last name starts with F. Please answer me. Thank you.

Old 09-15-2003, 02:06 PM   #5

Rachelyne HB User
Hi:
Thank you so much for responding to my questions. You do not believe how happy you have made me. I was not sure what I will be going through. Now I have a better understanding. I have to remove half of my thyroid tomorrow and then if it is cancerous to remove the rest like yours another time. I do not know that well about papillary or follicular. But because of your note I can read my needle biopsy better. I have to go and check. I have two school age boys 13 and 12. I wanted to know after I get home from overnight stay at the hospital, when will I be able to cook and take care of my them and my husband. My husband is not a very good help. I guess I spoiled him. By the way, how many children are yours?
Thanks again. I wish you the best.

Rachelyne
p.s. I e-mailed you first but it did not work.

Closed Thread