It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #1

missymouse HB User
Angry New Doctor Troubles

Hello everyone. I just stumbled onto this website accidently this morning and hopefully someone can give me some advice. My husband is in the military and we were recently moved to an overseas base. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 2.5 years ago and have been treated with PTU (propylthiouracil) for the majority of that time. My doctors at my old base were wonderful and went above and beyond to take care of me. I was fortunate enough to begin seeing them before I was 18 and was allowed to continue treatment under them even though my main endo speciallized in pediatrics. Sadly, all good things must come to an end and they did when we moved. My new doctor is a talented physician and I would trust her to take care of a broken bone or something, but she was nothing less than livid when I showed up in her office with an active thyroid condition. Unfortunately for my new doc, who is not an endo, there isn't a single endocrinologist anywhere near our hospital and unfortunately for me, I don't have the option of going off base to find one (unless someone knows how I can learn Japanese overnight) <grin>
It would all be ok if she was willing to help me, however I practically had to beg for her to order up my blood tests and when she finally did, I had to wait *2* weeks before someone contacted me with the results. Now i am going crazy because I know that I need to have my levels monitored, but I get sick just thinking about going into her office again and arguing my way into getting the tests ordered. Can anyone offer some piece of mind?
Oh, by the way, at my last (and only) appointment with her she said she would give me a referral to the internal medicine clinic... that was 2 months ago and I haven't heard a word... Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
What a shame...Japan has much higher remission rates with ATD's than we do in the US. They also only use RAI as a last resort for hyperthyroidism/Graves disease. Is there any way you could hire an interpreter to translate for you?

You are right that you will need close monitoring while on PTU or Tap/MMI. Maybe you can buy this doc the book "Thyroid for Dummies" by Dr. Alan Rubin. If she wouldn't view it as an insult, it's a GREAT book that covers all the basics. I especially like page 79 where Dr. Rubin states that ATD treatment is his choice for treatment of his patients with hyperthyroidism/Graves.

Sorry I don't have any good answers. I've had 3 crummy Endo's here in the US, so it's not necessarily where you are...it's who you know!

Old 09-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #3

missymouse HB User
Thanks for your reply! I may just have to get that book,however I'm not sure how my doc would take it if I showed it to her I forgot to mention something that is probably kind of bad.. since that first appointment with her, I've kind of been weening myself off of the PTU... I guess i'm a little scared to be on it without a doc that knows how it works and such following me. Thanks for the headsup about that book, I'm going to go look for it at our bookstore thid afternoon.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
(female)

happy4us HB User
missy,
My hubby was stationed in Germany so I am familiar with the problems of medical care overseas. Could you talk a national who works on base to be a translator for you so you could see an endo? Hubby had a couple German nationals who worked in his building that were very willing to help Americans in any way they could. We had one translate for us when we had a landlord/tenant dispute in the German courts. I've always heard the Japanese are even more accepting of us than the Germans. Hope this helps. Rhonda

Old 09-14-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
I just thought of something else....are you avoiding iodine in your diet? Iodine is the fuel the thyroid needs to make thyroid hormone. Being in Japan, I'm sure the food is different. The seaweed wrap used in sushi is LOADED with iodine...so you should avoid it.

Eating high iodine foods is like throwing gas on the thyroid fire.

I sure hope you can find a way to get in to see a doctor that will work with you. Not being treated is dangerous.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:53 PM   #6

missymouse HB User
I want to say thanks for all of your replies. I was really feeling stressed out about this because it was feeling hopeless. I have kind of an update. I spoke with the techie that was working at the front desk and was actually able to get him to order my blood tests and schedule me for an appt with a *different* doc next week!I guess he's new and doesn't know he's not supposed to switch care providers without making me fill out a mountain of paperwork and get approval, but that is OK, i'm not going to complain at all. My hopes are that seeing a new doctor and actually having my current levels available that day will help me to get some things done
I will avoid iodine in my food, I had never really thought about that thankfully I'm not much of seaweed eater (give me McDonalds anyday) so I'll just have to start watching myself a litte.
I went out to my bookstore and they did not have that book, however I plan on poking around online to see if I can order a copy.
Hopefully my new doc will help me out a little more now so that i don't have to go off base, but I now at least have the number I need to call to track down a translator.
Thanks a lot!
Missy

Closed Thread