It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 04:45 PM   #1

whatcanido HB User
Post Where do I go from here?

I was diagnose with hypothyroidism in 2000. I went off of my meds for eight months...I should have known better. I recently had my levels checked and now they are ok. The doctor will not fill the prescription. He required a ultrasound and I will find out the results in a few days. My thyroid is palpable but the sonographer did not seem to think anything was out of line. Am I crazy or has anyone else been through this? Any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2003, 05:32 PM   #2

DeadPaladin HB User
You say your thyroid is palpable...
BY WHOM??
By your doc?? cause in that case there are two explanations ...either your doc cannot palpate your thyroid good enough...so that he thinks that your thyroid is palpable...OR the radiologist who took the echo test is dumb and cannot see if you have a goiter or not.I would count on the first explanation...

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 05:41 PM   #3

whatcanido HB User
Thanks for getting back with me. All this stuff is new to me. When I was first diagnosed with hypo...I had no clue what this was. I was put on synthyroid 100mcg and took it for 2.5 years. My blood was drawn every six months and my levels were maintained. Like I said I went off the meds...knowing I should not have but did....now my symptoms are back and stronger than ever but all levels are within normal ranges. My T3 has not come back yet but TSH and T4 were ok. My doc did not give me the levels. He seems to think that my thyroid has grown in order to produce the levels of hormone that I need. Someone please explain this to me. I recently went for a physical for a job and have found out that my blood pressure is borderline high and my cholesteral is out of this world. I have gained about thirty pounds and feeling like a dog. Maybe I need to find a new doc!!! I getting ready to turn 30 and I feel like I am falling apart!!

Old 09-15-2003, 06:03 PM   #4

DeadPaladin HB User
OK
first of all...Hypothyroidism has many many many causes and symptoms.
Hypothyroidism means that your thyroid gland produces smaller amounts of hormones than normal and that affects your whole body because thyroid hormones are responsible for the metabolism of every single cell and tissue of your body...so a dissorder of thyroid hormone levels means a complete change of your body.
In your case of hypothyroidism your metabolism is slowing down.
I do not know the cause of your hypo..or even if it's primary hypo.
SO...
as for the goiter thing now...
on the vast majority of Hypothyroidism cases a goiter is present and it's usually a simple one.
A goiter means that your thyroid gland gets larger and larger.
This happens due to the hormone called TSH(thyroid stimulating hormone).
When thyroid hormone levels are low in blood your brain produces more of this hormone which goes to your thyroid and tries to bring the thyroid hormone levels up to normal range.The overproduction of TSH makes your gland grow larger.
So your doc is right thinking of that.BUT...without the levels of T3 T4 TSH I (and i believe none on this board)cannot give you an opinion on matters like these..
Though i can say to you that T4 AND T3 tests prove nothing.
FREE T3 AND FREE T4 are the tests that can show how your thyroid works..
Also you should know that normal tsh levels can be for some docs the upper limits of the normal ranges...
That BTW is considered a mistake because the lower to normal range the TSH is the better you feel...

IMO stay connected to the boards ..read other threads about thyroid function adn probs similar to yours..search the internet about thyroid info...ask your doc for YOUR TEST RESULTS AND LEVELS and ask for second opinions from other docs or endos

Last but not least...thyroid probs can be a real hell...i know ..we all know..but there is hope and many ways to treat thyroid dissorders ...be strong and do not lose hope

Best wishes and good luck to you

------------------

Old 09-15-2003, 06:04 PM   #5

DeadPaladin HB User
BTW what's your blood pressure and cholesterol levels?

------------------

Old 09-15-2003, 06:11 PM   #6

whatcanido HB User
Thanks so much for the info!!! I think I do need a new doc because he is the one who diagnosed me to begin with. Anyway, my blood pressure is 142/84 which is borderline and my cholesterol is 206. Neither of these are extremely high but does the thyroid affect you BP and cholesterol? THANX...glad to have the help!!!

Old 09-15-2003, 06:25 PM   #7

DeadPaladin HB User
your BP is fine (i believe you're overweight a bit or am i wrong?cAUSE I am ..and i have the same BP as you do and a chol level of 230-240)
AS long as The perfect BP is 120/80 you can see for yourself that it's not that high...
And of course YOU DO have a prob
TSH AFFECTS the chol levels SO hypo sufferers do encounter chol probs.
Chill out ...try to eat fat-free foods and try to fix your thyroid prob.
By fixing the thyroid prob you'll fix the other probs too.

------------------

Closed Thread