It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 05:10 PM   #1

2tired HB User
Post Hair regrowth

I want to know if anyone that has lost hair due to thyroid disorders has grown it back when they get on medications. Also, does hair go back to its normal texture? Mine has gotten thin and coarse. I hate it!

Old 08-23-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. I've lost a lot of hair. Seems like I'm always cleaning out my hairbrush. My hair's always been thin so if it gets much thinner, it won't be there to fall out! Just kidding. Gotta find the bright side of things, ya know? At least I have a reason why my hair looks like crap!!!!
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2003, 06:06 PM   #3

lillyandme23 HB User
I have been on hypo meds for nearly four months and am losing more hair than ever before. It comes out in whole strands now instead of just a handful of loose hairs. I guess we will all be supporting the wig industry before too long. Connie

Old 08-23-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
hey-maybe we ought to buy stock in the wig industry???
After all, if anyone should make money off of this, it should be us!

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 08-23-2003).]

Old 08-23-2003, 07:14 PM   #5

2tired HB User
That is discouraging news. I was hoping that the hair that I've lost would grow back! Is it common to lose even more hair after you're put on medication?

Old 08-23-2003, 07:21 PM   #6

lillyandme23 HB User
It very well may grow back after you have leveled off on your thyroid medication, who knows? My doctor tells me that the hair loss should subside after my levels are normal, however, my levels have been "normal" in her opinion for over a month now and I am losing more hair than ever before. Connie

Old 08-25-2003, 01:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

2tired, I'm newly diagnosed as hypo (6 weeks ago). But I have been told that once my meds are adjusted to where they need to be, My hair should stop falling out and I should be back to normal (whatever that is!). In the meantime, I'm going to have my hair cut today so hopefully what I do have now will stay a little longer. HAHAHA. I don't mean to make light of your situation but at this point, I have to look for humor in things. If I don't, I will be "nuts"! So I poke fun at myself and my situation. I'm bumping you up so maybe someone who has been through a situation such as ours and has come back from it will read this and give you the answer you're looking for. Good luck!
Barb

Old 08-25-2003, 04:10 AM   #8
(female)

sgc123 HB User
Hi! I had hair loss associated with Grave's disease. I was losing hand fulls of hair each day. It did slow down and eventually stop with treatment. However, it does take some time. This is how it was explained to me: Hair has an active and a resting cycle. Stress, surgery, giving birth and thyroid disorders cause more hair to go into the resting cycle. After the resting cycle the hair falls out so that is how we end up with more hair loss than normal. The good news is that as soon as the hair falls out, it starts regrowing in the active phase again. It just takes awhile to feel any improvement because the hair has to grow from scratch again. It can take up to 6 months for the hair to stop falling out and up to a year before it feels like normal. I hope this helps. I know that it is like adding insult to injury for hair to fall out. The good news is it will never cause complete baldness.

At least with a wig we wouldn't have to do our hair every morning
J

Old 08-25-2003, 05:34 AM   #9

Blaana HB User
I had alot of hair loss and then hair regrowth within about a 2 month period after I started treatment for hypothyroidism. Also, my hair had become thin before I was diagnosed. Now it is thick. The texture is about the same but not as dry. I don't know why I had such rapid hair regrowth, but these are some of the things I did:
took a B-12 supplement
took a zinc supplement
did Tae-bo to build muscle
ate plenty of protein

I don't know if those things had anything to do with the hair regrowth. I was taking a biology course at the time and did some extra studying on thyroid hormone in the cells. Thyroid hormone is utilized in the cells of the muscles. That is why it is important to build up your muscles, so that more of the thyroid hormone can be used. Also, eating plenty of protein is helpful.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #10
KarenDesmondC

Yes, I also understand that thyroid is necessary for your muscles to function. I exercise a lot, but was not seeing any results. It made sense to me when I found out my T3 was .08. When I started on Cytomel with the thyroid, I started feeling better quickly.

Also, why I replied to this post, I think my hair loss has slowed down. I see less hair in the shower, and I see short hairs sticking up especially around the part in my hair. So I am hopeful. The news letter I got from Mary Shomon Friday talkked about a new German shampoo that was helpful for hair growth? Any one check it out?

Old 09-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #11

yogajan HB User
I similarly had lots of hair loss, it continued on synthroid (a side effect my dr. said is hair loss) with hair loss, and fairly recently changed to Armour. In addition, like Blaana, I added B-complex, and started eating lots of protein (protein at every meal), as well as taking inisotol (sp?). In a week and a half the loss has dramatically lessened as well as the texture is slightly better (less coarse & limp). Anyway, I have no doubt the hair I've lost will begin to grow back (I have little hairs sticking up at the part-- cute!)but better yet, I don't have the anxiety of seeing all the hair come out. YJ

Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
(female)

Pumpkin59 HB User
Smile Re: Hair regrowth

im a newbie i just found out i have a thyroid im on synthroid 1 tab 75 mg for past 2 weeks, i saw on the internet i had like almost all the signs then i had a blood test i have super big time thick hair then i noticed i didnt have to have hair cut in 2 months or my bangs not growning my sides are thining out big time not noticeable to most but to my self hubbie tried to find excuses for it now i work from home an i notice on my keyboard hair long strands ive been trying not to wash my hair as often to scared it will come out at least im not only one that has this problem... i was to scared to come to this fourm but i decided to give it a try, have a great day all !!!

Closed Thread