It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 11:43 AM   #1

imsotired HB User
Question Meep, others- Why are these foods bad?

I've been checking out the food "no-no's" and for the most part, I have either never heard of most of them or don't like them anyway. I do however like brocolli and ESPECIALLY sugars/carbs!!! I want to know why exactly these are bad and should I give them up completely or just cut back?

BTW- I only eat the brocolli 2-3 times a month, but my diet almost entirely consists of carbs and dairy, some fruits/veges, and very little meat (I'm not a vegetarian...just don't care for meats much).

Thanks for your explainations ahead of time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 11:46 AM   #2

imsotired HB User
Also- Why/how does grapefruits, oranges, etc. effect thyroid tests?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by imsotired:
Also- Why/how does grapefruits, oranges, etc. effect thyroid tests?
i didn't know they affected thyroid tests ... in what way?

jb

Old 09-15-2003, 05:27 PM   #4

imsotired HB User
Question

I don't know- I was hoping someone else might know the answer to that. I read on the synthroid website to avoid grapefruit when taking the meds (my husband has the same warning on his BP and Chol meds) and I read on another website (of course I don't remember which one) that it can alter test results, but it didn't say in what way or how significantly. I'll try doing some sort of search to see if I can find it again. What about the other foods...broc., sugars, etc....anyone know?

Old 09-15-2003, 05:51 PM   #5

imsotired HB User
....Still looking, but I did find this....

Special Considerations:
Drugs that can increase TSH measurements include antithyroid medications, lithium, and potassium iodide.

Drugs that can decrease TSH measurements include aspirin, dopamine , heparin, and corticosteroids.
[url="http://www.thailabonline.com/sec11thyroidfunction.htm#TSH%20(Thyroid% 20Stimulation%20Hormone) "]http://www.thailabonline.com/sec11thyroidfunction.htm#TSH%20(Thyroid% 20Stimulation%20Hormone) [/url]

Old 09-15-2003, 06:27 PM   #6

DeadPaladin HB User
Never heard of that before...
I doubt that orange grapefruit juices and food produce probs in your medication or proiduce a thyroid prob...
The only thing i do believe a bit is soy.
I do believe that some people who consume large amounts of soy on daily basis may encounter after years a thyroid prob...

never heard of anyone who had thyroid probs to stop eating broccoli etc etc...

IMO try to chill out with the food n staff ..IMO it's the last thing that affects thyroid function and hormones.

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Old 09-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
imsotired,
Brassica family vegetables - broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc. - are goitrogens, meaning they inhibit thyroid function. They're only a problem when they're eaten raw and excessively. Cooking destroys the component that causes the problem. There is a list of foods and drugs to avoid in our Information Archive.

Grapefruit (but not oranges or any other citrus) is a problem with many medications because it increases the blood levels of those drugs, creating in effect, an overdose. I've never heard of that problem in conjunction with T4 meds, however. Not to say you aren't right, I just never heard it.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #8

Ibis HB User
Good Morning, I am reading with interest the foods it avoid topic. Where is the Information Archive? I am very interested in this subject.
Thanks,
I

Old 09-16-2003, 12:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Here's the link for you, Ibis ~ [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html"]Information Archive[/url]

Old 09-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #10

Ibis HB User
Thank you!!

Old 09-16-2003, 01:10 PM   #11

Blaana HB User
Hi Everyone,
I quit eating bread, sugar and potatoes (modified atkins diet) over a week ago because I was having alot of problems like: anxiety, panic attacks, high blood pressure, confusion, depression, and things like that. I feel a whole lot better and my blood pressure dropped drastically. It was running around 145/95-to-190/110. After 2 days on the diet it started dropping. Now it is around 124/80. I think that's amazing!!!

I had some blood work done a few weeks ago to try to find out why my blood pressure was so high. The only abnormality was that I had too much insulin which the doctor called hyperinsulinemia. The atkins diet says that it will lower your insulin and blood pressure, so I decided to try it out. Now I really am amazed that it works that fast.

I am also less anxious, have more energy, can think better, and I'm really happy(most of the time).

I still get anxious some days(but with good cause) but it doesn't get as bad as it was getting.

I hope everyone has a great day!!!

Blaana

Closed Thread