It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Inactive

igy76 HB User
Post Very Startling Discovery - Am I Shrinking?

I REALLY hope someone can give me some insight from this board, I wasn't sure where best to post this problem.

I'm a 27 year old male. I've been the tallest one in my family (at just a HAIR under 5'9"). It's always been a source of much ribbing that I've had a good 2 inches or so on my very fit and buff 34 year old brother. But the last couple years we keep joking that he's noticing it seems like the difference in our height is getting smaller. Well, I happened to be playing with the tape measure tonight while doing an online personal ad, trying to get a sense of the height of the woman I'd be comfortable with. For the hell of it, I thought I'd measure myself, I hadn't in a long time.

I am very legitimately freaked out right now. I measured at the best 5 feet, 7.5 inches. I say at best because first we did it on carpet, then I gained a fraction of an inch on hard bathroom tile. My brother's been right, this is no joke. I know it's very common for humans to shrink, but at at least 60, not 27!!

Now, for what's it worth, I've had chronic lower back pain for around two years, what was only until early this year diagnosed as a herniate disc (but even only a slight herniation). Could this possibly mean anything? I'm trying to remember if the joking with my brother started BEFORE the back problems, and I think it did.

I don't know, quite frankly this really upsets me. At the risk of sounding vain, considering in the context in which I discovered it (the personal ad), it seems even worse. Even 5-9 is too short for a good amount of women. Does ANYBODY have something to say about this? I greatly thank you for your reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Your best bet would probably be to go to the back boards. They can give you more information there. Good luck!
Barb

Old 09-17-2003, 12:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

have a bone scan ... you probably don't have osteo (probably your disc), but it never hurts to check, and it's painless and easy...

Closed Thread