It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 09:54 AM   #1

iceangel1229 HB User
Unhappy Feeling dizzy and lightheaded

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I had my thyroid removed due to cancer a few months ago and am now taking 150 mcg Synthroid. I have been taking it for about 3 weeks now. For the last week or so I've been having a very rapid heart beat when I do light activity and have been feeling very lightheaded. I feel dizzy and lightheaded constantly. My dr says this will go away once I get used to the medicine. I also have problems with panic/anxiety, but I'm pretty sure my recent symptoms are due to the Synthroid.
Has anyone else had these kind of side effects with Synthroid? Will they go away after awhile?
Thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
If you told your doctor of your complaints and he just blew it off by saying it'll go away, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR!!! Your body is telling you to listen to your instincts. Something is WRONG! My guess (and I'm no doctor) is that your doctor probably should have started you on a lower dosage and gradually ramped you up to 150. That's a real shock to your system. And for him to blow you off like that was just plain stupid and callous on his part!
I'm sorry but it just pees me off when doctors do that crap. You know your body better than anyone else. And if you think something is wrong, it probably is. Please see another doctor. This one's not listening to you or your symptoms.
Barb

------------------
"Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
I definately don't have any answers, but I wanted to let you know I've experienced a lot of the same symptoms. I had radioiodine done last November and started on Levoxyl 100 back in January. I was on Levoxyl 150 in July when I started having anxiety and panic attacks. My endo ordered my labs and surprisingly, I'm STILL hypo and we upped my dosage again to 175. I've actually been feeling better this last week, but I've had a real hard go of it lately with all the panic attacks and fear of having another one. I don't really understand how I can the two correlate (meaning hypothyroid and anxiety) but I feel CERTAIN that they do. My doc wanted to start me on Zoloft and I begged him off until we get my thyroid under control. Just stay on top of your labs and ask questions! I agree with the previous post. If your body is telling you something and your doc isn't listening to you, find another one (or see someone else in his clinic!) good luck!!

Old 09-16-2003, 11:19 AM   #4

iceangel1229 HB User
Thanks for your replys!
Yes, I agree that I probably need to find a new Dr. Actually, I haven't even seen an endo, yet. The Radiation Onconogist that did my radioactive iodine treatment also prescribed my med. He said he didn't want to lower my dose any because it is important to get my TSH back down to prevent the cancer from coming back. I will be going back to him in October to have my hormone levels checked.

brandekristene,
I also think that hypo and anxiety seem to correlate, even though it doesn't really make sence. I had my worst anxiety symptoms when I was really hypo right before my rai treatment.

[This message has been edited by iceangel1229 (edited 09-16-2003).]

Old 09-16-2003, 12:57 PM   #5

ltw HB User
Before I started taking synthroid, I used to have lightheaded/dizziness everyday. Now I never have it anymore. I'm taking 75 mcg. I guess it's because I was hypo before the medication.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Thank you for posting the dizzy/lightheadedness subject I thought I was losing my mind. My MD increased my Synthroid from 50mcg to 100mcg and for three weeks I was in a ‘brain fog’, but I did get used to the increased meds. Then I became anxious and unsettled and my endo told me to change to 75mcg one day and 100mcg the next. I became dizzy and lightheaded and I still am. My MD told me to start taking 88mcg yesterday and I think I am worse. Not only am I dizzy and lightheaded, but I am also having anxiety. I am on my second day at 88mcg Synthroid. I see my endo next Monday and I sure hope she has a better idea

Old 09-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Rading these other posts made me think back to about 10-12 months before I was diagnosed hypo. I had almost forgotten (don't kmow how I possibly have done that!) I was having a LOT of anxiety and a few severe panic attacks. I din't know anything about hypothyroidism then. My doctor put me on Xanax. That seemed to help me quite a bit. Maybe that could be something to dicuss with your doctor. I no longer have to take the Xanax. I think, with me, it was just everything coming together all at once. My husband and I had seperated. My 14 yaer old son was going through a lot as a result of the seperation. We got back together though not knowing if we wanted to stay together. We almost lost the house we built seven years ago. We sold it just days before we went to foreclosure. I was, by then, off work on medical leave because of all the stuff that was going on in my life.
Now that I look back on it, I think my thyroid had a LOT to do with everything that was happening to me. I WAS CRAZY!!! For a while, I thought I was going to end up in the psych ward of our local hospital. I even drove myself there one night. Went into the emergency room and told them I thought I was going to kill myself. Jez, was I NUTS! But that's what the panic was doing to me. Heart skipping beats then pounding fast and hard. I thought I was going to die. Anyway, I am getting on the right track now. I can recognise situations that bring me to that point of anxiety (most of the time). My husband knows I have a bad thyroid AND PMS (boy, do I feel bad for him at that time LOL). We are together and working on ourselves. Tommorrow is our 15th wedding anniversary and things are getting better. I think he'll be really happy with his present. I bought him a Home Entertainment Center. I hope he likes it. Anyway, sorry for getting side tracked. I just wanted to tell you it'll get better. In the meantime, shop around for another doctor.
Barb

------------------
"Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things".

Old 09-17-2003, 09:52 AM   #8

poizngypsy HB User
I was on Levoxyl 75mcg and feeling tired a lot. Checked my TSH and it was 5.185 so my doc increased me to 88mcg. A week after upping the dose, I started having sporadic episodes of my blood pressure going up (mine normally is low) and a couple of instances of racing heart. So my doc says, it's just my body getting used to it. After 3 weeks of the increased dose, my doc told me to start taking the med every other day to see if that would help with the symptoms of increased heart rate and blood pressure. Well, now after two weeks of that, my TSH is up to 7.4 and my Free T4 levels have dropped. So, I dont know what to do. I'm still having instances of my BP going up and heart palpitations.

So, I'm confused too. I don't know if my body is STILL adjusting of if it's too much. 5 weeks of increased dose, 3 of which were taking it every day and 2 weeks of every other day. There is no dose between Levoxyl 75mcg and 88mcg so I don't know what to do and my doc hasn't called me back.

Closed Thread