It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 07:15 AM   #1

cowgirl27 HB User
Post Thyroid and weight

When I first found out that I had hypothyroidism, I was actually relieved that there was an actual reason for my tiredness, irritability and weight gain that seemed to happen out of nowhere (among other symptoms). I don't want to have this, but the idea of taking a pill that will give me back my energy and everything else sounds good right now. But I am wondering about the weight I have gained. Of course, its nice to have something other than myself to blame for it, but I'm wondering how much of it is due to the hypo. When I was in high school, I weighed 105. I couldn't gain weight at all. I felt I was too skinny and actually wanted to gain a few more pounds. (I wish I had that problem now)I got pregnant when I was 18 and stayed pretty skinny. After I had her, I started gaining weight. Rapidly it seemed, but I guess it could have been more gradual. I don't remember. She's 8 now, so that was awhile ago. Since then I've had another baby and I have continued to have problems with my weight and now I weigh 132. I know being pregnant changes your body, but due to the way my body was before, I'm wondering if I've had hypo since my first pregnancy. Can pregnancy increase chances of hypo? Would my dr. be able to tell me approx. how long I've had it according to my test results? What do you guys think and what have you heard about hypo in correlation with weight gain?

Old 09-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #2
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User
Hi, you might feel like you are overweight at 132, but depending on your height you could be in the right range. I am 4'11" and weigh about 90 pounds. Somebody with my height and frame should weigh anywhere between 94 and 119 pounds. Granted, if I were up toward 119 I might freak out a little because I can't imagine myself almost 30 pounds heavier... can't even picture myself with 10 more pounds. Anyway, I would maybe ask your doctor what weight range you should be in. I know losing weight is a big factor for people, but we still need to be healthy.

About the rapid weight gain... when I first started using Synthroid, I gained 20 pounds in 2 months (I had been only 70 Lbs to begin with). It was definitely frightening. Maybe, because of your thyroid condition, losing weight after pregnancy became even more difficult because of your slowed metabolism.

Sorry I couldn't say more. I really don't have any issues with my weight yet, so it is hard for me to respond. Just make sure you don't lose too much weight, though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
I know what your going through. I was always very thin. After my first daughter I was ok for many many years. 10 years later I remarried and had another child. Well this is where my problems started. I went hypo after having her about 15 months ago and gained weight which I am unable to lose no matter what I do or how little I eat. I am really shocked at how much my body has changed. I said to myself I would never be fat again. (I was overweight from 17 to 18 years of age and lost 80 pounds). Im not sure if I was slightly hypo before pregnancy because I never really felt that great as far as having alot of energy, but the pregnancy sure made my system go haywire. Im afraid I will never lose the weight. Now the problem is im pregnant again (a surprise) and Im really starting to panic that this is it for me.

[This message has been edited by Ginger9708 (edited 09-16-2003).]

Old 09-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #4

cowgirl27 HB User
Ginger-Are you taking a thyroid hormone? Because I'm really hoping that once I'm on it for awhile, my weight will come off.

TinyTot-I'm 5'5", maybe a little under. I think I'm supposed to be between 108 and 112. I'm definately carrying around too many extra pounds. Sometimes I still can't believe it from where I was 8 to 9 years ago. I look in the mirror and still don't see me. I'm really hoping that I will resemble my old self after my thyroid is regulated.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
Inactive

mezzaluna HB User
hypothyroid can definitely show up after giving birth. i don't know how common it is for it to show up and stay, but it is very common to happen for a while after having a baby.

i have lost a lot of weight since starting thyroid treatment - 50ish pounds, down from 204 to 156, and I'm 5'8" but... this took 4.5 years. i wouldn't say it caused the lbs to melt away - it certainly took a lot of hard work, but i think it was more possible to get back in the normal weight range when my metabolism was back in shape again.

good luck!
-rosemary

Old 09-17-2003, 10:12 AM   #6

dmsdrcs HB User
Wink

having a baby knocked me over the edge so to speak, i had been border line for a long time then after baby #3 all heck broke loose. my meds are finally ok but i haven't lost much weight. after baby #3 lost nothing kept gaining no matter what, docs told me to quit trying to exercise diet so much until meds got stable, (not often you hear a doc say that baby #4 i only gained 5 pounds because body went into overdrive, med nightmare, had to get labs every 4 wks. after delivery i lost 30 pounds, but still have much more to loose that was left over from first 3 babies
good luck
minetta

Old 09-17-2003, 10:43 AM   #7

cowgirl27 HB User
I have about 20-25 pounds to lose and the nurse said that I should start losing it once my thryoid gets regulated. I think I got my hopes up that its going to be that simple. But I also think that once my energy comes back, I will be able to excercise like I used to and that will help as well. I wonder when its too soon to start working out?

Old 09-17-2003, 12:53 PM   #8
(female)

TinyTot2 HB User
I never had to worry about my weight before, but now every pound I gain I am starting to freak out. I just realized that I should really start watching what I eat, exercise more, ect. I can't keep taking my weight for granted.

Closed Thread