It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #1

ltw HB User
Question questions for oncologist and radiologist

Hi all!

Last month I had a total thyroidectomy because they found a papillary cancer on one of the nodules on my left lobe. I'm going to see an oncologist tomorrow. Can someone give me some suggestions on what to ask him?

I'm also going to see a radiologist next week. What should I ask him?

I have no idea why I'm supposed to see these two people. I know one of them need to see if I need to get RAI to make sure all the thyroid cells are completely gone to prevent any recurrence.

Which of these doctors would make the decision? Is there any chance that I might not get RAI at all? My surgeon told me there is a big chance that I will have to get RAI.

Thanks so much for all the info.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:39 PM   #2

iceangel1229 HB User
Hi,
I had a papillary/follicular mix cancer. I had my thyroid removed in July and had RAI last month. I saw a Radiation oncologist for this treatment. From what I understand, it is almost always necessary to have rai with thyroid cancer to make sure ALL of your thyroid cells are gone. I have heard of some people who didn't need this because their tumors were very small and their surgeons were able to get all of their thyroid, but this is rare.
I'm not sure why they're having you see an oncologist and a radiologist. I would think they will probably work together in deciding about your RAI. I would ask questions like:

~if you'll have to stay in isolation and how long

~precautions you will need to take once you're home(including how long to stay away from kids)

~ask about the low iodine diet

~ask about when you will have your body scans

~if you're on meds, you'll need to know when to stop taking them (and when you can start them again after treatment)

I'm sure there is more you'll want to ask, but this is all I can think of right now.
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 09:28 AM   #3

ltw HB User
Thank you, iceangel. I'm still praying that I don't have to go through the radiation iodine thingy http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif

Old 09-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #4

ltw HB User
Talking

The oncologist called me and let me know that I don't have to see him today. He said he just saw my record and he doesn't think he is the correct person to follow up with. He follows up with people with aggressive type of cancer and I don't fall into that category. I just need to see the radiologist next week.

Closed Thread