It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #1

poizngypsy HB User
Exclamation MEEP?--Anyone. Advice Please

(ok since no response that way, we'll try it this way)

I am so confused and want to get things clear in my head before I call my doctor if I can.
on 75mcg Levoxyl

7/31/03
TSH 5.185 (0.350-5.500)

8/1/03
T4 12.1 (4.5-10.9) increase probably due to birth control pills
T3 uptake 26.0 (22.5-37.0)

8/20/03
Free T4 1.59 (0.89-1.80)
Free T3 3.0 (2.3-4.2)

8/10/03 started 88mcg Levoxyl. About a week on the increased dose started having episodes of high blood pressure, increased heart rate, palpitations. Sporadic episodes, not continuous.

8/29/03 doctor advised me to start taking the 88mcg of Levoxyl every other day because of the blood pressure increase.

still had sporadic episodes of increased BP and heart rate.

Labs drawn again on 9/15/03
Free T4 1.27 (0.89-1.80)
Free T3 3.0 (2.3-4.2)
TSH 7.437 (0.350-5.500)

My TSH has gone up even more and my Free T4 has gone down. Why? Could the every other day dosing make this big a change? Wouldn't it seem that if I'm on every other day then I'm not getting as much as when I was on 75mcg EVERY day and therefore why is my heart rate and blood pressure going up when I normally have ALWAYS had low blood pressure? Is this still an adjustment period?

Advice please.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Quote:
My TSH has gone up even more and my Free T4 has gone down. Why? Could the every other day dosing make this big a change? Wouldn't it seem that if I'm on every other day then I'm not getting as much as when I was on 75mcg EVERY day and therefore why is my heart rate and blood pressure going up when I normally have ALWAYS had low blood pressure? Is this still an adjustment period?
You're severely hypothyroid and the doctor keeping you that way proves he's a severe id10t. You need to get away from him quick...that being said...

Yes the every other day dosing can produce that big of a change, especially if you have hashimoto's and your requirements go up.

Then too, with your blood pressure, you could do much better if you were on a sufficient replacement dose for a while on that.

It's sad that a doctor misrepresents themselves and act like they know what they're doing when they don't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #3

poizngypsy HB User
Thanks for your response, Sky. Well, I called my doctor's office this morning with my latest increased blood pressure episode and faxed them my latest labs (I had them drawn at work since I work at doc's office) and guess what?!?! No surprise...they never called me back. SO, that said, I sent a release of records request and have an appt with a doctor who practices alternative medicine but it's not till the 26th of this month. So that's a week and a half away and I'm not sure what to do until then. Stick with the every other day dosing (they tell me my body is adjusting) or do I go back on my 75 mcg of Levoxyl until I go to the new doctor.

Any advice on that?? I'm tired of these symptoms.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:37 AM   #4

poizngypsy HB User
so by those numbers though, it looks like I need to be on a higher dose of my Levoxyl. But the higher dose seems to be too much. I'm just so upset and don't know what to do and no call from my doctor still. I mean, I need to know something.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #5

Ibis HB User
Can you cut the pills in half?? Can the Dr you work for help? Or refer you to some one?

Old 09-17-2003, 10:10 AM   #6

poizngypsy HB User
but I was on 75mcg when my TSH went up to 5.185 then when they increased my dosage to 88mcg and now on it every other day my TSH is up to 7.4 So cutting those in half would not get my TSH down. My doc's I work with won't help cause of it being a liability issue you know..which I understand as I am not their patient...they are oncologists. I am going to an MD who works with alternative medicine next Friday but I don't want to wait that long because these symptoms are really upsetting me more and more and scaring me. I've never had high blood pressure and I'm really worried now.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
How high is your BP? It can be somewhat elevated for short periods without being an imminent risk. If it's in the area of 180 systolic or above, I'd be worried.

Also, I can understand your employers not wanting to give any advice... But I can't imagine they wouldn't have a network of doctors to steer you to.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:59 AM   #8

poizngypsy HB User
Bless you guys for responding to my post. When my BP has been up, I can physically feel it and it's usually around 145/80 with my heart rate around 112-117 bpm. I usually always have low blood pressure..even when I go to the doctor, it's not unusual to be in the low 100's over 60's or 70's. So this is high for me.

I just talked to one of my oncologists that I work for and he said with my prompting..that I might need T3...I almost feel over b/c all the other docs have brushed that off. So, my employer said, I may have too much T4 but I'm still hypo cause my body isn't converting.

I have a doctor I am going to go see for the first time next Friday. I just want to see someone now.

My doctor that prescribed my increase in Levoxyl said that my body was adjusting to the increased dose but I've never had my BP go up like this before and I wouldn't think it would still be adjusting after 5 weeks but then again...I don't know.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Well, I'm no doctor, but I feel sure that although your BP may be high for you, and that such an increase surely would be a problem if it continued for years, you are not in a dire situation at this point in time. Worrying so much about it is probably keeping it a few points higher too. I think once you get your dose stable, it'll probably return to normal. Try to 'hang in there' until your next appt. This Friday, or next?

For what it's worth - as my untreated hypo got worse, my normally lowish BP went up an average of about 15 points systolic. Once I started on T4, it came back down. Now that my endo has discontinued my T4, my diastolic has been creeping up about 12 points higher than my normal reading. It's one of the main reasons I really need to find another doctor.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #10

poizngypsy HB User
Why did they discontinue your T4? What med do you take? I'm trying to hang in there until the 26th when my appt with the new doctor is. But I can't decide if I want to stick with taking my 88mcg every other day and stick it out or go back to my 75mcg every day until I get to the new doctor. I can physically feel when my BP is up so it makes me not feel good and then the stress and anxiety on top of that upsets me even more. I try not to worry about it telling myself it's my thyroid and my body adjusting to the increased dose but I'm sure subconsciously, it's affecting me.

Do you know much about lab results? Do you think my body is converting T4 to T3? Does anyone else know how else I can tell. I'm not very good with the lab results. And if I have too much T4 then why did my Free T4 levels drop?

I'm just tossing out questions that are running through my mind as I try to make sense of this.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

In the beginning, I took .075 Synthroid. After 7 weeks, my TSH dropped too low, so the dose was reduced to .050. Six weeks after that, my TSH almost disappeared altogether, so that's when the endo said it was as low a dose as she prescribes, so she made me stop. Just thinking out loud here, I don't really know, but maybe I overconvert... who knows.

It'd be really, really unusual for a person to 'feel' blood pressure increases. That's why high BP is called the "silent killer". Perhaps you do need some T3... It's said to help with the anxiety and neuropsychological aspects of the disease. Wish I knew more to help you with test interpretation and such. Different bodies react so individually to treatments, it's hard for a layperson like me to know what would work exactly for you.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:48 PM   #12

poizngypsy HB User
All I know is every time I have ever had my BP checked it is always on the low end. One week after my Levoxyl being increased, I felt like the sides of my face were warm...kind of felt like it would if I had been hit, like it should be swollen and warm to the touch but my skin wasn't warm. I get one of our nurses to check my BP and it's high. And every time I've had that feeling and had my BP checked it's high. So, I don't know why I'm feeling it b/c I know it's the "silent" killer. But I do feel flushed when it's up and I can tell...like my whole head sometimes is warmer than it should be. Who knows.

Do you have your Free T4 and T3 checked? That could indicate how you are converting from what I'm told. Did you have symptoms of being hyper when your TSH got that low?

Old 09-17-2003, 01:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

It looks as if you may be a person who is exquisitely attuned to your body's physical sensations, if you are able to feel a BP increase. There certainly are such people. Hope I didn't offend you by saying most people aren't that sensitive.

At the height of my "overdose", my FT4 and FT3 were at the very top of their ranges, but my TSH was only .02. I can't honestly say most of the symptoms I felt were much different from the hypo ones, except for sporadic high pulse rate and increased BMs.

Old 09-17-2003, 05:36 PM   #14

poizngypsy HB User
yes, I am oversensitive to the "goings ons" in my body...unfortunately, I think. I didn't used to be that way until I started having panic attacks. So, now, I notice and feel every little thing. I'm also sensitive to medicines too...it doesn't take a big dose to have an affect on me..I don't know if that's related or not though.

I hope you get your thyroid problems worked out.

Now, I'm thinking that if I had too much T4 in my body...wouldn't my Free T4 be in the high range??

Old 11-23-2003, 05:33 PM   #15

Sandy Starr HB User
Re: MEEP?--Anyone. Advice Please

[/COLOR][COLOR=Black]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poizngypsy
so by those numbers though, it looks like I need to be on a higher dose of my Levoxyl. But the higher dose seems to be too much. I'm just so upset and don't know what to do and no call from my doctor still. I mean, I need to know something.
[COLOR=Black]

You need a doctor that will treat your symptoms and not just your numbers. I found my doctor from a web site called Dr. Broda Barnes. They can help you find a doctor in your area that will treat your symptoms and not just the numbers as so many doctors do that don't know much about the thyroid. I would be dead today if I had not found my doctor. He literally saved my life. Take your regular dose and slightly increase the doseage. Cut the other pil in half or thirds. You can take one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. Taking a full dose all at once can cause the heart palpatations. Also, try putting it under your tongue to dissolve. This way you get the full dose and it will all be absorbed into your system.

Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.

Closed Thread