It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 11:27 AM   #1
(male)

pdb123 HB User
Post Does anyone actually feel better with a higher TSH?

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who thinks they actually feel better when their TSH is at the higher end of the normal range?

A little background on my situation: Diagnosed as hypo one year ago with a TSH of 14.5. At the time I truly did feel awful - sleeping all the time, anxiety, dry skin, etc. Went on 25mcg of Levoxyl and TSH came down to 6.5. Dr. increased the dose to 50mcg and TSH came down to 2.5. By this time I felt pretty good. Skin and anxiety had improved, and I had more energy.

Then 2 months ago, I went in for my periodic thyroid test and TSH had gone up to 4.7. I was actually surprised by this because I didn't have any symptoms and I still felt good. Dr. increased my dose to 75mcg. Since then I have had a decrease in my appetite, I have trouble sleeping through the night, and I have a constant nervous feeling in my stomach. Went back to the Dr. last week sure that I would now be hyper, but TSH level is now at 1.95 which he says is good (lab range is now 0.4 - 4.0).

Do you think I just need to give my body more time to adjust to the higher dose? It's already been 2 months and I still feel so hyper. Or maybe some people (myself included) just feel better with a higher TSH?

Old 09-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Anything I believe is possible. Everyone is different. Your doctor should have let you stay at 50mcgs if you still felt well. Though your TSH had gone up, you were still feeling good. He should have listened to you instead of the TSH. On the other hand, did he do fT3 and fT4? Antibodies? If not, you should try to get him to test these and see where they're at. It could be that these are out of whack and that's what's causing your symptoms. Generally speaking, TSH should normally be at the low end. fT3 and fT4 should be closer to the high end. Hope this helps.
Barb

------------------
"Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 05:38 PM   #3

poizngypsy HB User
I actually did read about someone who had a higher TSH and they were surprised to find that out because they didn't feel they had any symptoms and when they were put on T4 they ended up feeling worse.

Closed Thread