It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 10:22 PM   #1

Noa24 HB User
Post top doc? uugh!

I went to a new doc today after my last one basically blew me off. About a month ago, my NP started me on Synthroid (b/c my labs are low-normal TSH AND low- normal FT4), which seemed to help my symptoms. She told me she believes I have thyroid problems--not "regular" depression or bipolar disorder--but monitoring thyroid meds is pretty much out of her scope of practice (she's a psych NP).

Well, the new doc (Dr. G. Miller in Oregon...I found him on the top docs site) went really heavily on the adrenal possibility. Okay, maybe a possibility, but there is a definite thyroid history in my family... Didn't particularly seem to like the fact that I'm on the Synthroid, although he will refill the prescription, since it's working. Gee... So, he ordered a whole "spit test" workup (cortisol, DHEA, progesterone, etc) and "succumbed" to my request for the antibodies tests...and even added a new TSH, FT3, FT4. I'm interested to see where this goes, to be honest...

BECAUSE...

he suggested somewhere in the middle of the appointment that I take some "diagnostic" tests during the appointment...which I knew immediately translated into "he thinks I just need an AD." I told him I won't do a depression test...so he suggested a "bipolar" one. I was upset then and told him that I don't have either...and HE seemed visibly upset that I was blowing him off. When I told him that he could talk to my NP--and even my counselor--he said that we can't really do that now (so why not take the test in the meantime?).

He didn't put depression on any of the lab forms... and even used hypothyroidism as one of the diagnoses.

So, my feelings are mixed right now. He seemed kind of condescending at times, but he did at least request the labs. Hmmm... Suggestions????

Noa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Just my opinion. He did do what you requested. That's more than my doc would EVER do for me. That's why I'm going to switch docs soon. My opinion, for what it's worth, you want a good doctor. You already have good friends. Do you really care if he's condascending if he gets you to where you feel better?
Maybe he just had a bad day. Lets just hope he's in a better mood the next time you see him.
Barb

------------------
"Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things".

Old 09-18-2003, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
It's my feeling, too, to give him another chance or two. Like Bosmom said, he did agree to your request, even if reluctantly. Plus, he didn't enter the dreaded "D" word on your record. That's worth something.

My sister is always looking for doctors who are "so nice". She finds really personable but wholly incompetent quacks that way. If I have to choose between nice and competent, I want competence on my side.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:07 AM   #4

Noa24 HB User
Yes, I agree...it's more than my past docs have done, and I AM glad he was open to ruling things out. I have no problem hanging around for a while to see what else is up his sleeve.

Noa

Closed Thread