It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #1

kc2ckj HB User
Post high level of antibodies-question

Hi,

Just picked up my lab results, and would like to hear from someone what they think. I have never had an antibodies test done before, so I'm not familiar with how to interpret them. My last TSH was 0.16. My tests today were: Free T4 - 1.7 (.9-1.8) and the Thyroid peroxidase autoantibodies was 64 (0-40). He also did a C-Reactive Protein test and that was <0.03 (0-0.8mg/dl)
Anyone have any thoughts on these tests? I haven't felt right since May. Would appreciate what you think.
Where I live they don't do the T-3 anymore. It was replaced by the Free T-4. Anyone else discovering this where they live? Thanks again,
Kathy

Old 09-16-2003, 11:52 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
How can a T3 test be replaced by a Free T4? That is so silly. I could underdstand a T3 test being replaced by a Free T3 test. That's like saying a pregnancy test is being replaced with a rabies test. T3 and T4 isn't comparing apples to apples, but apples to oranges. If your doctors office really told you that......then run as fast as you can....out of there!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #3

kc2ckj HB User
It wasn't the doctors office that told me that. It is the lab that has changed it. They NO longer to a T3. So whether I find an endo or not, they aren't going to do it anymore. I can't believe that it is just my area. I go to a lab in Md. Anyway, just wondering about the antibodies and what they really mean. I thought I read that if you have high, you have a thyroid problem. DUH! I know that already. Have had it for a very long time. So why did he test me for them? Just thought I could get some answers. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
The antibodies indicate an autoimmune form of thyroid disease, either Hashimoto's or Graves', usually. This helps differentiate the incurable conditions from the temporary ones that may get better with time.

I'm totally confused by your T3 - FT4 situation. I can see why they'd stop doing Total T3 in favor of Free T3. That's because Total T3 is useless, as is Total T4. No lab I know of would use FT4 in place of a T3 test. Maybe you misunderstood?

Old 09-17-2003, 03:29 PM   #5

kc2ckj HB User
There were two different times that two different doctors asked for the T3 test. When I got to the lab, I was told by those who work there, that all the doctors got a letter stating that the T3 was not being done anymore. They told me that the Free T4 was replacing that test. So it was two different doctors, two different times, and both times I was told the same thing. The next time I go back, I will ask again why? In all the years of having a low thyroid, I have never been to an endo. Just went to my regular doctor. And they NEVER did a T3 on me. None of the doctors. I changed maybe 5 times throughout the years. NONE of them ever asked for a T3 until I moved here to Pa. My doctors are in MD because of insurance. I've been trying to do some research on it on google to see if I can find some truth to it. Will let you know what I come up with. I read your response to the antibodies, but still am confused. What is the difference between the diseases and being underactive? If I'm diagnosed with one of those diseases, does that mean that medicine won't help me anymore? Sorry if I'm being slow here. Thanks for any and all the help that has already been given.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of underactive thyroid disease. [Graves' disease causes overactivity.] For reasons not well-understood, the body manufactures antibodies to its own thyroid tissue. As the gland is slowly destroyed, it is no longer able to keep up with the demand to supply the necessary amount of T4 and T3. The treatment is the same for all forms of hypoT, no matter the cause.

You aren't "being slow"... You're learning, as we all are.
Let us know about that T3 thing. Strange. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 09-18-2003, 09:10 AM   #7

kerryhinch HB User
Hi,

I agree with the other posters. I just wanted to add that here in the Uk they do not tend to routinely do the free T3 unless requested specially as it is more expensive for some reason. My drs now do the Free T4, Free T3 and TSH (they do the free T3 with no questions now that I am 25 weeks pregnant).

I was a post partum thyroiditis, but now we think that it is hashimoto's as my TPO antibodies were over 4,000 (below 60 normal). I have not had them rechecked this pregnancy as it would scare me to know ! and my drs would not do anything different. However, the fact that they are so high points to the autoimmune longterm Hashimoto's in my case.

I take synthetic thyroid hormone, selenium. The selenium is supposed to help with the antibodies, I take a reduced dose of 100mcg as opposed to 200 as I am pregnant, but took 200 before the pregnancy like the research suggests.

I hope that this helps.
Bets of luck

[This message has been edited by kerryhinch (edited 09-18-2003).]

Closed Thread