It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 04:38 PM   #1

Meghan2003 HB User
Angry Help!!! My mom's thyroid is destroying my family!!

My mom has had thyroid problems for ~ 20 years but the past 6 have been unbearable. She had hyperthyroidism and then went to hypothyroidism and has sooooo many medical complications that I cannot even get into them. In the past years she has sunk into a deep depression and our family has changed to cope with this. But the problem is is she keeps getting worse... she doesn't get dressed anymore, never cleans or cooks for herself, calls us kids and blames us (and my father who basically kills himself waiting on her hand and foot) for all of her problems. She wont (cant) listen to reason.. she has become a hateful person and none of us kids know what to do. Her youngest, my brother, has basically ran away from home because of her mood swings and the filth she lives in. We are all at our wits end and don't know what to do. She doesn't seem to be willing to do anything to help herself (she just broke 5 years not no smoking to take up chain smoking this past April) and none of us feel that we can express how we feel about this whole situation because we are accused of being unsympathetic to her thyroid problems. How much longer can we all hold on?? She wants me to leave my children with her during the day but I can't... not with the chain smoking and the filth of her home. Someone PLEASE PLEASE give us and idea of what we can do... PLEASE!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 08:03 PM   #2

Haley1234 HB User
I have a BAD case of hypothyroidism. Basically, my thyroid doesn't spit out any hormone. I was very, very, depressed before they diagnosed me. I thought I was blue because I had gained weight and had started to have health problems. Once on the thyroid meds, which took a year to get me up to the full amount, I felt much better.

However, the depression came back. I hate to admit it, but much like your mother, my house was a mess (big time), and I started chain smoking again after 7 years of not smoking. After talking to my primary care dr., I'm on Zoloft and it makes a HUGE difference. I have energy, my house is clean, and I'm not beating myself up any more.

It sounds like your Mom takes her depression out on you. If I were you, I’d start treating this like depression rather than a thyroid problem. Call her doctor and tell him/her what is going on. He’ll start by checking her thyroid. You, or your Dad, may need to accompany her to the appointment to make sure she goes and that she is honest. Help her understand that with treatment her life will get better. If she’s stubborn, you may need the whole family to do an intervention. Check out this link, it has a list of symptoms and explains depression: [url="http://www.************.com/communities/depression/related/support_6.asp"]http://www.************.com/communities/depression/related/support_6.asp[/url]

Try to understand that people with depression don't act like themselves. Your mother is ill and needs help.

Good luck! I'm sorry this is so hard on you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 10:54 AM   #3

Ibis HB User
want to ask you if your Mom has a Dr? Can you get her to get some tests? Is she on any Meds?

Good luck, but she sounds very ill. I hope you get help for her soon.

Closed Thread