It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #1

justgina HB User
Post Newly diagnosed thyroid nodules with herthle cells-need info please

Hi,

I am a 35 year old female recently diagnosed with thyroid nodules. I am scared to death and need information/advice/support/et cetra.

I went to my internist last thursday for a sinus infection. while checking my throat she noticed my thyroid was enlarged. Fast forward to ultrasound where they found a ~1cm nodule on the right lobe and 2 nodules on the left lobe, one 4.5 cm and the other 1.4 cm. The path report from my FNA says

"abundant colloid, hurthle cells, hemosiderin-laden histiocytes and calcium oxalate crystals. Consistant with Hurthle cell nodule with cystic changes and hemorrhage."

Here are my questions.

Do the Hurthle cells mean its usually Hurthle cell carcinoma?

Have any of you heard of taking shark cartalidge to shrink the nodule? or any other alternative therapy?

My doctor says i need to repeat the FNA guided by ultrasound in 8 weeks. All the literature ive read said there is no way to differentiate based on FNA. Do any of you have any info on this?

What is the cure rate for hurthle cell carcinoma?

Have any of you had any problem with damage to vocal cord during surgery?

I know this is a lot but im freaking out here. Thanks for any help you can offer

gina

Old 09-15-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
(female)

happy4us HB User
gina,
I too am a 35 yof with recent dx of thyroid enlargement and nodules at an appointment not dealing with my thyroid. Quite a suprise, isn't it! They believe mine is "probably" benign because I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis but I have to repeat the ultrasound in 6 mos to watch for changes. Nice, huh?

I don't have an answer that you want...I'm still learning but I wanted to at least offer you some support. I never heard of Hurthle so...

I grabbed my medical dictionary to figure out what all the BIG words meant and the first thing I noticed was that there are three referrences in this book dealing with Hurthle. They are Hurthle cell adenoma (benign), Hurthle cell carcinoma (malignant), and Hurthle cell tumor (benign or malignant). So, I would GUESS that in this case they want to do FNA to see if this warrants a full biopsy &/or removal.

As for the other questions I haven't a clue, but this will bump you back to the top so maybe someone else can respond that has MORE experience than I do.

Take a deep breath and try to relax. I know it's not a bit easy...to carry worry everywhere you go is exhausting to say the least. Good luck to you and let us know what happens. Rhonda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2003, 09:43 PM   #3

KazKan HB User
I am right there with you. Found nodule during a sinus visit. I have had 3 FNA. first 2 benign, last one " atypical cells" found. I am scheduled for a left lobectomy next Thurs. It was my choice, I could have waited and done another FNA in a few months but enough is enough for me. I have never been bothered by it and all bloodwork has come back good. Go figure!! The chances of your being cancerous are very small. Educate yourself and keep up on these boards. I am new to this forum and it has answered so many of my questions and eased my fears. The more you know about your condition the better prepared you will be in helping to treat your condition. Take care, KK

Old 09-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #4

cuello HB User
hi- your case sounds so similar to mine. I'm at home now recuping from a total thyroidectomy. My OBGYN discovered my first nodule a few months back and I've been through FNA, ultrasound and tech scan. I actually have 4 nodules- with Hurthle cells. I opted for total thyroidectomy even prior to knowing about nodules on both sides b/c w/ Hurthle they can't differentiate between benign and malignant from FNA so a lobectomy leading to the discovery of a malignancy means 2 surgeries which didn't sound great to me. I get the results of my report during my followup tomorrow.
The surgery was not bad at all. Really no pain apart from the discomfort from the breathing tube.
BTW- we're the same age. Sounds like a not so uncommon scenario the more I read and the more I speak to people who know friends who have been through this. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2003, 04:59 PM   #5

justgina HB User
thanks you guys. as of this morning they decided i really do have a hurthle cell tumor and im having surgery this friday.

about the vocal cords....all of you had good luck with this? i mean im having my surgery at northwestern in chicago and this guy is suppose to be great but i really have no clue how i would know. i asked him if he had patients who couldnt talk after surgery...he said yes...1%

Old 09-16-2003, 08:43 PM   #6

courtney28 HB User
Hi, I just went through the same thing. I went to the Dr. and they noticed the lump in my neck, I am only 23 and never had any problems with my thyroid before. It was a hurthle cell 5 cm nodule so they decided to remove the entire thyroid gland.

No problems with my voice at all, a little weak at first, but came back just as strong - if not stronger. The fact that you have a good, respected surgeon is the most important thing.

Good luck, you will do great!!

Old 09-19-2003, 09:56 AM   #7

KazKan HB User
I am 36 and although I had no Herthle cells present I am having partial done next Thurs. right down the street from you at Univ. of Chicago Hosp. Today is your surgery date and I wish you the best. Please keep us posted on your recovery. KK

Old 09-19-2003, 10:11 AM   #8

suskey HB User
There are a few of us having surgery next week. I am having mine at Mt Sinai in NYC. Good luck to everyone and please post how it goes..

Susan

Closed Thread