It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 08:23 AM   #1

whatcanido HB User
Question does hypo affect your eyes

Another question for someone! I have read alot of threads and am learning alot of info.. I have noticed that several of you have developed floaters in your eyes. Sometimes my vision does get blurred...but it is only for a few minutes. Could this be related? I do wear contacts and have prescriptions eye drops because of allergies, but my eyes stay dry all the time with or without my contacts. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
I am just newly diagnosed - but I have terrible stinging, dry eyes...I don't wear contacts or glasses, but I have a really hard time with stinging eyes - I'm washing them a lot with water which helps a little....

HTH
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 09:02 AM   #3

whatcanido HB User
Hey Kathy thanks for the reply. I have tried everything from water to drops. They feel sometimes like they have sand in them. I have to wear my glasses most of the time because I can't keep from scratching and rubbing them. I think that the contacts just make it worse...oh well, all part of having this problem. Good luck to you!!!

Old 09-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
That eye dryness is common to hypo. I use a brand of artificial tears that contains no preservatives. The preservatives can make the dryness worse. The brand I use is Visine Tears. There are others.
Edited to say: Not sure you can use these with contacts... read the label.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 09-19-2003).]

Old 09-19-2003, 10:21 AM   #5

franjava22 HB User
Cool

Just snooping and ran across this message. Thank you for explaining my stupid, dry, stinging eye problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been telling my eye docs about this for years and their only explanation was that maybe I didn't blink enough or I sleep with my eyes partly open. SHEESH! Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2003, 01:08 PM   #6

Flipppy HB User
I too have had eye problems since my RAI a year ago. My eyes just get very tired and I have to rest them. Doc thinks it's allergies. Since I don't HAVE allergies and this only came up AFTER the RAI, I can only put it down to all the other numerous problems associated with thyroid problems. Sorry I sound grumpy but sheesh, every problem on my "list" gets written off ( by the doc ) as something other then Synthroid imbalance. I am so glad this board exsists. Without it I would think I was losing my mind completely.

Closed Thread