It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 03:21 PM   #1

Scot HB User
Post Need Your Advice/Input/Meep/Tree Frog/Anyone

My test results are as follows
TSH---0.06 Range 0.40-5.50
T3 Free 388 Range 230-420
T4 Free 1.1 Range 0.8-1.8

I went to see my Gp and this is what she said after reading my test results and consulting with an endo in a larger town than ours. I am currently on 1 1/2 gr Armour, which I asked to be changed to 6mo ago.

The out of town endo suggests that I reduce my Armour to 1gr or until my tsh is in the range. She suggested that I take 1gr one day and the 1 1/2gr the next to bring me to 1 1/4gr then test and down more if necessary...

My concerns are; One, that going back and forth will give me a good day then a tired day. Two, I feel just fine, not great, but fine where I am on 1 1/2gr. She said even though I was feeling fine my TSH was too low and that she wanted to bring it up to be closer to the range.

She also indicated that my range was best when I first started on Synthroid and that she and the endo thought I should go back to it...... I was on 100..the yellow tab of synthroid and my tsh was 1.1

She also indicated that the Armour was making me feel better and that I should try and see if by reducing the amount it would make my body produce on my own.....not sure why this was said...????

Changing everything has me, alot concerned and a little bent out of shape to say the least!

I talked to my natural compounding company and they say that they can make Armour for me and step it down between 1 1/2gr and 1 1/4gr which would be a much lesser amount to come down than the 11/2 to 1gr the doc suggested and that it would be the same amount everyday.

I also need someone to calculate for me what I will be getting if I step down....1 1/2 to 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 to 1 gr. and compare between Armour and synthroid so that I can speak inteligently to my pharmacist.

Anyway I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and information regarding this.

Thanks Scot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Your doctor worships the TSH. This will be unacceptable to you. Many doctors who truly treat patients effectively have to bring the TSH down to what yours currently is. If you have no symptoms you are fine.

You should be bent out of shape here. If I looked at your tests, your T3 is fine for the testing period, but your T4 can stand to come up some.

All following these jokers will do is make you feel worse. You need to stand up to them...you also need to get your adrenals checked out, because they will most definitely contribute to your problems.

What are your symptoms that make you feel "just fine" and not "great"?

Sky

Quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
My test results are as follows
TSH---0.06 Range 0.40-5.50
T3 Free 388 Range 230-420
T4 Free 1.1 Range 0.8-1.8

Old 09-16-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi Scot,
I totally agree with Sky_Eagle1.

The TSH only shows how much thyroid is in your blood, but the Free T4 shows how much USEABLE T4 is in your blood. And that is on the low side.

I would be very ill with hypothyroidism at TSH 1.1. Mine has to be suppressed way below one, but we are all different, which is exactly why tests do not prove how much thyroid YOU need.

I agree that your (useable) FreeT4 is not optimal, and the lab test does not indicate lowering your thyroid med, OR switching off Armour. At the very least it should remain the same.

My TSH is similar to yours, and my Free T3 is normal, but my Free T4 is low, so my doc upped my Armour by 30 mg yesterday, as a trial for two months.

Do you have any hypo symptoms? The doc should listen to those!

For me, my blood pressure is low to normal, my pulse was only 60, I have lost about a third of my hair, regained some of the weight I had lost, though I did not change how I eat, and I feel like death warmed over...no energy to move. I drag myself around. In my case, I have Hepatitis C, so my liver must not process the thyroid med adequately...that what my doc and I guess. And, it IS just a guess with hormonal issues.

My doc is treating my symptoms. So should yours, or sorry, you may need a new doc! Just my opinion.

Have the courage to be proactive, and say no, you don't want your Armour switched, if that is what you want.

Ask your doc to work with you and to treat according to your symptoms, rather than to just manage your med.

If your blood pressure is fine and your pulse is not over 100, you are not being adversely affected by the blood levels. ha! That will be the day when MY pulse is above 90!

You can say that since your other tests are OK, and your T4 has space to be improved that you prefer to have optimal results not merely survive.

Point out that thyroid is a hormone, so the tests don't prove what level is normal for you. Then respectfully ask if you could try an increase in the Armour, instead of a reduction.

Do you have any symptoms? You can get the checklist off the Information Archive thread, found on the
Resource Links on the top blue bar of the Thyroid Board. Just click on it, copy and print out the list, then fill it out. If you give your doc the list of the symptosm you still suffer, and talk about what one swere improved by taking thyroid, before speaking about what you would like to try, it will help.

Keep a copy of the list and get copies of all your test results.

After I say what I want, I usually ask my doc what she thinks, giving her space to be the doc.
But we come to conclusions together, then she tells me what she wants. Such as to take a supplement, or whatever.

Your compounding pharmacist (I use one too) can help with the Armour info you need. They are knowlegeable and don't need for us to be in the know.

[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 09-16-2003).]

Old 09-19-2003, 03:07 PM   #4

Scot HB User
Sky_Eagle
I did have my DHEA S done and this was the result
151...Range 39-183
what are your thoughts on this? Scot

Closed Thread