It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 08:18 PM   #1

cowgirl27 HB User
Post Hypo/hyper and time frame

First, I was wondering how often a person goes from hypo to hyper and also, I've been on my medicine (Levothyroxine) for two days. How long has it taken some of you to get back to your "old self" after you started your medication? I know everyone is different but I would like to know how others have improved and how quickly or long it can take for a person to start feeling better, energized, weight loss, etc.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:22 PM   #2
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Bouncing back between hyper and hypo is pretty common with Hashimoto's disease in its early stages.

For LT4, it takes about 6-8 weeks before the dosage takes full effect. Then of course, the doctor may adjust it depending on the results of further labs (and hopefully your symptoms).

And then you may improve on the better, energized, weight loss thing, but you may not. It depends a lot on the doctor and how he handles you, whether he gives you enough to thrive or just enough to satisfy "Evil God TSH".

BTW, you won't spontaneously drop any weight, you will have to lose it the old fashioned way. Key thing though is you DO need enough thyroid hormones supplemented or you will be just chasing the wind in trying to lose weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 11:45 AM   #3

cowgirl27 HB User
Of course, it would be nice for this weight to magically disappear, but I really don't mind it being gradual as long as its going away. Also, with my new energy, I will be able to work out. But to tell you the truth, I am terrified that I will start to feel great and start working out and it not help at all. I can't accept that this weight may be here to stay and theres nothing I can do about it. When do I know working out is going to work? My dr. won't even know the answer to that question will she? I'm sorry, I'm just scared and depressed and I so badly want someone to tell me, "Don't worry, you will be and look like your old self in no time". At first I was okay with having hypo, but now its starting to sink in and I just want to crawl into a hole. Only I can't fit into the stinking hole! I know I'm not alone, but I feel like I am anyway.

Old 09-19-2003, 04:45 PM   #4

ltw HB User
I've been taking synthroid for about 2.5 weeks now. Before that I gained weight so fast and I was tired all the time. Now my weight is stable. I've been having enough energy to go back on my work out routine. It's helping a little. The weight goes down a little bit. But I have to keep working out everyday and watch what I eat to make sure the weight is going down.

You'll be ok. As soon as you have your energy back, you'll feel so much better and you will be able to start working out. I, too, get depressed from time to time. When that happened, I just talked to a friend or to God, or write to someone or just cry. After that I feel much better I just have to keep telling myself to take one day at a time. If today I feel bad, may be tomorrow I'll feel ok.

You are not alone. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #5

cowgirl27 HB User
You have no idea what your post just did for me. Thank you. Its amazing what a few sincere words can do for someone's spirits. I never anticipated someone posting a response that could help me like that. I thought, that if someone did at all, I'd be appreciative at best. But for what I'm going through right now, the right words mean the world and I don't know anyone who knows what I'm going through. In one post, you have managed to make me feel better where no one else could. So, thank you again for that encouragement and I will say a prayer for you tonight too. God bless you.

Closed Thread