It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Red face Water Retention - Help!

About a week and a half ago, I noticed I was retaining water and didn't think much about it being a woman and all. But, it's been getting worse everyday - I can barely squeeze my feet into my shoes and I can't wear my wedding rings at all! Even the backs of my calves hurt when I squat down to pick something up off the floor. My hands, face, feet and ankles are the worst, although I'm really swollen everywhere. I was just diagnosed hypo this week and started taking Levoxyl on Tuesday (very low does - half of .025mg daily), but the swelling started before that.

Is this common? Does anyone know of a good remedie?

Thanks!!

Old 09-19-2003, 04:49 PM   #2

daldre1269 HB User
I know where you are coming from...ugghhh the dreaded water retention. This is common but doesn't happen to everyone.

To reduce it I minimized my carbohydrate intake to protein and veg's. No starch, no sugar, no wheat. I also took/take dandelion LEAF not the common root you can buy anywhere. Also Uva Ursi in a tincture. 3ml 3times per day... only take uva ursi for 10 days at a time though. Dandelion is safe to take daily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

it's very common in hypoT's, and i can only say (seemed absurd when the advice was given to me, by someone on this board): drink more water, at least eight 8-oz glasses a day, and soft drinks/juices do not count -- they're extra ...

i've tried more protein, no sugar/wheat, and can't say whether it does any good because i don't know where i'd be if i were eating it, and haven't tried the other remedies suggested above, but you've got nothing to lose -- oh, a little bloat, i suppose!

i'm disappointed that i can't get my mum's wedding rings on -- that's the most saddening thing for me ... i know that i could have them enlarged but they'd be less hers, if anyone understands my twisted logic ...

you can get rid of some of the bloat with treatment too... but it's awfully slow (dx'd in march -- 6 months ago) ...

oh, and you can get support hose (they really help) from your doctor -- it's a prescription, and they're quite hot in the summer (ask me how often i wore them) but not bad (actually quite good) in the winter, if you wear trousers, which i do ...

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 09-20-2003).]

Closed Thread