It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2003, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Post Midwest???

I was reading on the anemia section and saw an old post of yours and I have a question.

About 6 months ago, I was taking Prevacid for gastritis, and about the same time, my B12 levels came back low at 292.

I started on a sublingual b12 and now my level is up over 700 and I had stopped the Prevacid due to my stomach feleing better.

Well, now my stomach is bothering me again and I started back on the Prevacid, is this going to make my B12 drop again or should the pills help keep it up?

Do you have gastritis? I have had a colonoscopy and EGD and they found mild gastritis right at the junction to my stomach, I thought it was from too much Motrin, but I stopped that and haven't had any for 9 months now.....so I am baffled as to why this stomach pain is back....it worries me.

Any thoughts or anyone else?????

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular
No meds, waiting for scan

Old 09-20-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I've forgotten what I wrote at that time when I thought I might be B-12 deficient. But I do remember that PPI's decrease the absorption and proper utilization of B-12 in many users.

Did your stomach start acting up just since you're off your med? I have very frequent heartburn that went away completely when I took Synthroid, and has come back since I stopped. I'm not sure I'd get a doctor to agree with me, but I've read enough about hypo to know that when digestion is markedly slowed as with hypo, heartburn occurs. The food sits in the stomach and intestines for longer than it should, and when that happens it [brace yourself... this is ugly...lol] starts to putrefy, causing the acid and half-digested food to back up into the esophagus.

I don't consider myself to have a stomach problem; just a hypo one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2003, 06:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, my stomach started acting up about a month ago, before I went off meds.

My pain is not heartburn per se, it actually feels better once I eat...it's like I get too much acid and then there is no food.

The pain is a burning pain right in the center below my breastbone.

I just wish I knew the cause, I don't want to stay on Prevacid for life I really thought the motrin was the culprit, unless the damage from that can take a LONG time to heal.

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular

Old 09-20-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
That's the kind of pain I get when my ulcer flares up. Feels like it's going straight through to my spine when it gets bad. I've found that stress is the worst thing for my ulcer.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I thought for sure when I had the EGD done, they would find an ulcer, but nope, I imagine this is what it feels like.

My new thyroid dr feels the excess acid is from stress and I need to mellow out...LOL, ya right....wondering if I have thyroid cancer is not going to let me mellow out, let alone the fact I had to go off my meds...sigh

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular

Closed Thread