It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 12:02 AM   #1

mesueminna HB User
Question Can Thyroid Problems cause dizzyness and blackouts?

I was just diagnoised with thyroid cancer a few weeks ago. I can almost pin point when it started from my symptoms. However there is one my doctors have not been able to give me direct answers on. And it is the whole reason they discovered this to start with.
Last October I started getting dizzy spells. Then one day while driving I blacked out for a few seconds. Not totally. I knew what was going on but it was like I lost my vision. Anyway, my doctor ran all sorts of tests on me. Did a MRI sent me to a neurologist to see my liver and kidney doctors. All my tests came back normal. A few months ago I still have not been able to shake the spells or the feeling of having a cold all the time. He felt my throat and finally sent me to a ENT. He said nothing was going on. I got a second opinion because he just seemed shady to me. And she did CAT scan. It showed a lump on my thyroid as well as some lymphnodes. And she ran a small scope and looked and my lingual tonsils were huge. She did a biopsy of my tonsils and lymphnodes and they came back clear. But she sent me to a Endocrenologist for the thryroid. He did a exam and had a biopsy they showed I do have thyroid cancer. I am having it taken out on October 7th. But they do not think that the dizzyness is related. Could they be wrong? I had another spell today walking around to get in the truck. Man I hit that pavement hard. Did not break anything I dont think. But I have a huge knot on my leg and jammed my thumb and shoulder. I just got out of a cast for this thumb and wrist and off the pain killers. I broke it in 3 places and my wrist as well and tore a ligament back in April. So it was a long recovery. Still going through physical thearpy on it. But have been out of the brace for about 2 weeks. I am back in my brace tonight. Really sucks. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
Melinda

------------------
I am 35 years old. I have had two liver transplants and a kidney transplant.
I am married for 16 years now. We have one son who died at birth.
One son deceased now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2003, 06:29 AM   #2

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

The one thing we seem to know is that the thyroid has something to do with every action of our bodies! The situation you have is several different problems at the same time. Which comes first? Are ALL our broblems caused by a BAD THYROID? We all wish we knew for sure but for now we are putting together a real good outline of symptoms.Maybe a doctor will come to this BB and realize what is needed by the patients of 2003!(I have several doctors I'm going to tell about this BB,I know they could learn from it http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/grad.gif) As long as we write,we learn! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Melinda, I was diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer in July. I first started having symptoms (which my dr said was unrelated to my thyroid) in May. My main symptom was severe dizzyness and fainting spells. I still have this. I have had test after test and now they're blaming it all on stress/anxiety. My Dr. still doesn't think my thyroid had anything to do with this, but since all of it started at the same time I really think it did. Hopefully my symptoms will go away once my hormones are regulated. Then, I'll be able to prove my dr. was wrong.
Take care,
Hilery

Old 09-21-2003, 02:34 PM   #4

mesueminna HB User
Thank You,
I just think they are related because they have tested me for everything over this past year. And the only thing that has come up as a problem is my thyroid. They have ran me for autoimmune disorders ear problems, head problems. Seems like they checked me from ingrown toenails to dandruff. I just hope this is what it is. Then I can stop all this stuff.
Melinda

------------------
Just diagnoised with thyroid cancer.
Married for 16 years.
One son deceased now.
One son deceased now.

Old 09-21-2003, 02:37 PM   #5

mesueminna HB User
Hilery
Have you had your thyroid taken out yet? Are they going to take it out? I have papaliary cancer. And they are more then likly going to remove the whole thing. My tumor is 1.8cm and a stage 1.
Melinda

------------------
Just diagnoised with thyroid cancer.
Married for 16 years.
One son deceased now.
One son deceased now.

Old 09-21-2003, 02:37 PM   #6

Missy B HB User
Question

I was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder when I was younger.I'd like to say as early as 11-12 yrs. of age. I'm 24 now and just acouple of weeks ago had a bout of vertigo(room spinning)I, nor my doctor could explain. I have had 2 other incidents like this in the past but neither lasted as long or seemed as severe as this last one. (Can't say I've had any blackouts though?) I, too, have been wondering if this is nomal? As I was browsing a list of hypothyroid symptoms I did notice that dizziness/vertigo was one of them. No details, though. Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-21-2003, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
I had the dizziness & blackouts and told my dr about them. She immediately suspected hypoglycemia which at the time I had not heard of. She run tests and sure enough she was right! Since following the diet she prescribed I do not have the dizziness as often. One thing to remember though is hypoglycemia is not a disease, it is a symptom of something else. If you have hypothyroid & hypoglycemia there is a good chance the underlying cause of both is adrenal insufficiency. There's a good article on adrenals & hypoglycemia on adrenalfatigue dot org. I just came across the info recently. I asked a naturopath dr to run a 4-point adrenalcortex saliva test as I have been told the cortisol a.m. blood tests are worthless for diagnosing adrenal insufficiencies in some people.

Closed Thread