It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2003, 04:09 PM   #1
Inactive

kimzi81 HB User
Post half moon on nails - is it true?

Hi everyone,
I read in a magazine the other week that if you have thyroid problems the halfmoons that appear on your nails reduce in size or completely disappear. (the whitish area on the bottom part of your nails) is this true? I've been going through MAJOR changes in the last couple of years and nobody can figure out what is wrong with me. I've noticed that I have no half moons at all (i used to when i was younger) ive also been EXTREMELY fatigued and irritable.. this summer was really bad - it seemed like everytime i stepped out of my house id feel like passing out. i have to be in an air conditioned room at all times. i've lost over 10 pounds (putting me at 5'4" and BARELY a 100 lbs) i have not cut down my eating at all and I drink a lot of fluids so I dont think its dehydration.

the other night i woke up at 4:30am and i was trembling. i couldnt stop shaking - i was not cold, and in fact i was sweating all over. on that note, ive noticed that my palms have been sweaty at all times (even when its not hot) they are not usually like this! its affecting everything in my life! even if i just try to take a shower, i feel like passing out if im in there longer than 5 minutes. is it my imagination or can i be allergic to heat?

im also constantly nauseous.

can this be my thyroid? does anybody have ANY idea of anything else it could be? my doctors tell me that the reason im lightheaded is that im too skinny, and that everything i feel is due to stress. what can i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 08:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Sweating and weight loss are primary symptoms of hyperthyroidism. (Don't know about the nail moon thing, as I've never heard of that.)
You've said what your doctors tell you... but what have they done in the way of testing? You need tests to know if your thyroid is to blame. Insist on TSH, Free T4, Free T3, and thyroid antibodies to start with. These are simple blood tests. If you have any thyroid enlargement or nodules, they have to be investigated by ultrasound or a scan.
If you've had tests, get paper copies of the lab reports. If you post your results here, along with the lab's reference ranges, someone will be able to tell you what they mean. Many people have doctors who simply tell them the tests are "normal" when in fact, they aren't.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Kimzi, how old are you? The nausea sounds like what I have and it's estrogen dominance. The other symptoms go along with perimenopause. It's hard to diagnose because the blood tests aren't reliable.

Marilyn

Old 09-19-2003, 07:34 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Question

Actually I never heard of the half moon thing......but.......I just looked at my nails and along with the lines that run up and down I only have half moons on my thumb nails on the other nails there are no half moons. I guess I'll just add that to the list of symptoms that I still have!!!

Old 09-19-2003, 04:45 PM   #5
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
girlygirly, my question is for you - I just noticed that I have the half-moons on only my thumbs as well. You mentioned the lines that run down your fingernails - do they crack? I have nails that run down my fingernails too, but the nail actually splits along that line - sometimes they even split open and expose the nail bed - very painful! I've come across others who have weak and brittle nails, but have not found anyone who actually says they have the lines. I'm just curious!

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #6

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

I had never heard of the half moon thing either but I have never had them on my fingers only my thumbs.
Do you ever get shivers when you read something here that all of a sudden you realize relates to you! I am still looking for help on my RED MASK problem.So far I have come close on RARE SYMPTOMS/RED EARS.
Do you ever wonder how long you have had a thyroid problem? Do we have this from early childhood? Does it start w/ our menstrual cycle? So many of these symptoms seen to start way before we get diagnosed. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Well guess what folks? ... My pinkie fingers have no moons at all, and the others are much smaller than they used to be! Maybe there's something to the theory after all.

I've always thought the bottom-to-tip ridges on my nails are from age, and that only side-to-side ridges indicate thyroid probs. The reading I've done on the subject shows disagreement among medical pro's about which condition, if either, applies to thyroid. But then, they consider such things as cosmetic issues, so I'm sure no meaningful research has been done.

My ridges do crack, but fortunately, not too deeply.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Interesting!
I have half moons on my thumbs only. I also have vertical lines/ridges....but I have horizontal lines that are really indentations on my thumbs. I have Graves, currently in remission.

Odd stuff!

[This message has been edited by K9Mom (edited 09-19-2003).]

Old 09-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #9

poizngypsy HB User
well, I had never heard of that but it's the same with me and I'm hypoT. Half moon's on my thumbs but only very, very small ones on my fingers and none on my pinkies. Isn't that interesting...

Old 09-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
Good grief! My moons are gone, too. I remember having them years ago, but can't tell you when they disappeared. My nails were extremely brittle and prone to snags before starting thyroid meds, but that was one of the first things to change for me. As for actually splitting, all of my nails fractured straight across twice. Going by rate of growth, the nail beds were damaged when I was briefly on Pravachol and briefly on Lipitor. I only stayed on each one a few days, as I had severe muscle pains within 48 hours. As it turns out, my cholesterol numbers are coming down as I get my thyroid back in shape.

Old 09-19-2003, 10:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

well, to all ...

i HAD heard of the half-moon thing (on-line hypo symptoms, someplace), and i have no half moons except on my thumbs ... AND I AM HYPO!!!

this discussion made me guffaw, and i'm laughing now, because for a long time i was 'in denial' about -- you got it -- the almost TOTAL absence of half moons on my nails -- i mean i pushed and prodded and got some sort of sixteenth-of-an-inch with much bloodshed, and then decided to ignore my non-half-moons and concentrate on my thumbs, and do a nice manicure by myself (i used to have it done, you see, but i'm still afraid to expose my hands to the care of an aesthetician, who's bound to say, loudly, 'good grief! this woman has no half moons!' and run screaming from me), and the one thing i can say is that my cracked/whitey/brittle nails have cleared up ...

good grief! i love it!

jb

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 09-20-2003).]

Old 09-20-2003, 08:38 AM   #12

Noa24 HB User
I apologize for changing from the half-moon topic, but I have a question for ANNETTE H...

What do you mean "red mask?" Is it a rash thingy on your face? If so and you haven't already, try up "butterfly rash." If not, I have no clue!

Noa

Old 09-20-2003, 09:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
I had never heard of the half moon thing but as I look at my fingernails, I see that only the thumbnails have them. And the thumbnail on my left hand is almost gone too (very faint). I have ridges starting on some fingers but no breakage so far.
Years ago, I read something about the half moons on the fingernails disappearing meaning that your body is lacking of something. However, that was many years ago and I forget what it said the body was. I think it may have been oxygen levels in the blood. I'll have to search this again. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Barb

Old 09-20-2003, 10:56 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
I read about the moon thing a while ago and checked my hands, I only had the moons on my thumbs, but guess what? Same with my husband and he is not HYPO(he has been completely tested)...so my theory went down the drain...LOL

The white part of my nails start to peel and I peel them more But I have neer had anything painful.

Annette, could you explain what you mean by red mask?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular
No meds, waiting for scan

Old 09-20-2003, 12:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

a red butterfly mask on the face is a symptom of lupus ...

back to the half-moon thing: some people never have half-moons, and for them this is normal, but for those who have half-moons that disappear after a DX of hypo, well ... i rest my case ... :razz: (i can't get over the hilarity of this topic ... guess i'm the only one) ... ah well ...

Closed Thread