It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Question Levoxyl side effects??

I just heard from my drs. office and after reviewing my lab results he thinks I should be on a low dose of Levoxyl. I'm so thrilled that he's willing to try something to help me feel better. Does anyone know of any side effects of this drug? Any ideas how long it might take to get my energy level back and start feeling better?

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Tina

Old 09-16-2003, 09:40 AM   #2

julied HB User
I started on a low dose of Levoxyl three weeks ago. I haven't noticed any unusual side effects but I haven't found any relief from my symptoms to date. I undestand that often it takes 4-6 weeks to see any type of improvement. My doctor plans to increase the dosage until my thyroid is suppressed given a nodule and hashimotos diagnosis. I will have blood draws every four weeks to monitor and adjust meds. I am hoping for some relief but it appears it will be a slow process. Hope that you adjust well to the meds and do not experience any unpleasant side effets.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
(male)

joarms HB User
Hi. I have been on levoxyl for 9 weeks. My doctor told me I would not notice anything for at least six weeks, and he was right. I probably noticed a change at about 7 weeks. I started at 50 mcg and moved up to 62 mcg at 5 weeks. I read a reponse that you got from another reader who said she had not experienced any of the normal "side effects" of levoxyl. I am still trying to find what the side effects are supposed to be. I would like to hear from anyone that knows what the "side effects" are.

------------------
joa

Old 09-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by joarms:
I am still trying to find what the side effects are supposed to be. I would like to hear from anyone that knows what the "side effects" are.

Most common side effect I have heard of is hair loss after starting levoxyl, lasts anywhere from 1-3 months.

Old 09-21-2003, 07:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Tina, and others ...

I have been on Levoxly for 4 1/2 months now. I'm not sure I have experiences any side effects. Everything I have experienced, I believe are HypoThyroid symptoms.

The Levoxly is a synthetic form of the T4 hormone your thyroid normally produces, which has a very long half-life, and takes a long time to get "soaked-in" to your tissues. It is very common to not feel much better right away. For me, I felt almost imperceptivly better each week.

Once your thyroid levels do get back to "normal", there will be two other issues for you:

One - this hypothyroid condition typically takes a lot of a body, and you will have to give yourself time to "heal" from it. It will be important that you do alot of the good things for your body... rest... eat right... lower stress, etc.

Two - the meds will have to be adjusted to get them just right for your condition. For example, in my case, I was diagnosed early May with TSH=9.19. Five weeks later, I felt about 80% normal. Two weeks later I felt bad again, and test showed I was being overmedicated. The dosage was decreased twice since, and I'm still overmedicated. But we'll get it right shortly, I believe.

Don't expect much after a week or two, but maybe a bit. Everyone is different. You'll probably feel just a bit better each week. You may also have ups and downs, but overall better over time.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
(female)

purpleglitter HB User
Re: Levoxyl side effects??

I had a complete thyroidectomy on 4/12/07. I was diagnosed with the very rare form of sclerosing variant papillary thyroid carcinoma. That being scary enough and still awaiting the results of my last scan I am scared of losing my hair after JUST starting on Levoxyl. I had no thyroid or replacement therapy for a month in order for the RAI treatment I received to work. Anyway does anyone out there know how common it is to lose your hair when starting Levoxyl?

Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
(female)

boata HB User

I have been on either Levo or Armour for 1 1/2 years now - and I have not experienced any hair loss, either before or after treatment.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I am on levothyroxine . When I first started approx 7 months ago on .75 I had some hair loss. It lasted for approx. 3 months. I have very thick hair so not really a big deal from that standpoint.But it was very frightening at the time. My meds were upped recently - too much and now we have to back down. I have had some hair loss again. Not like the first time. This thyroid stuff is no picnic. The hormone is so tied in to your total system functioning and your mental/emotional state , that it is very hard to adjust sometimes.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Hello...I am hypothyroid and been on Levoxyl 200 mcg for about 3 years.I have had no side effects from taking it.Occasionally I am tired but this happens when I do not get enough sleep.Levoxyl has been a wonderful thyroid pill for me

Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
(female)

Calore HB User

When I want to know more about medications--indications, side effects etc. I ****** them. Try it. You might find the info you need.
Good luck

Last edited by Calore; 06-18-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: oops, seems can't say the search engine. Do a search on the www.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
I am on levothyroxine . When I first started approx 7 months ago on .75 I had some hair loss. It lasted for approx. 3 months. I have very thick hair so not really a big deal from that standpoint.But it was very frightening at the time. My meds were upped recently - too much and now we have to back down. I have had some hair loss again. Not like the first time. This thyroid stuff is no picnic. The hormone is so tied in to your total system functioning and your mental/emotional state , that it is very hard to adjust sometimes.
osteoblast, i started on 25mcgs jan and then went up to 50 then in april i went to 75mcgs i have very little hair coming out none now but the side effects after starting levothyroxine 75s i have had both upper arms (musle weakness) increased panic /aneity, waking early again chest pain dizziness and so on i called my dr he took a tsh and t4 which he was suppose to do tsh,both t3 & 4 and the ft 3& 4 but didnt do i told him my symtons i cant stand the aneity/panic with this dose but he wont lower it nor will he switch me to synthrold im so fed up with this dr im ready to go elsewhere,do my symtons sound like im on too much? i did go down to 50 but chest still hurt then i went to the 25;s they are too low,has anyone had these side effects before?????
vickie
ps and when i went down on the dose my tsh is now 2.68 it was 1.5

Last edited by vickie45; 06-18-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Closed Thread