It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Post swelling and pain

I have been having quite a bit of pain in the top of my left foot. Was really swollen this morning when I got up. Still a bit swollen and painful. Hands are also swollen. Left hand is a bit painful too. My left foot was so swollen and painful this morning that I could barely walk on it. I guess this is probably not due to hypo but I was just wondering if maybe it is. Do any of you have this type of problem too? If so, what do you do to aleviate it? Thanks.
Barb

------------------
"Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things".

Old 09-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
It probably is due to hypo, sorry to say. It's due to mucopolysaccharides and fluid retention around the nerves. NSAIDS help me somewhat with the arthritis-like pain. When I have those tender feet, I have to tie my shoes very loosely, since even that little bit of pressure hurts. I haven't found much that helps a lot, but you could try drinking more water and refrain from salty food to see if it helps flush your system. However, that doesn't always work for this kind of fluid retention.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Thank you. I don't like salt much and just about all I drink is water. I used to drink a lot of soda. I stopped buying it months ago because my son and I were drinking way too much. So I really don't know what else I can do for it. I don't know why but it seems to be worse now since my synthroid was increased from 50mcg to 75mcg. I have been sleeping a lot less since then too although I still am exaused most of the time. I go for the c-pap titration Moday. Was supposed to go last Monday but I got sick with a nasty head cold.
btw, what is mucopolysaccharides? I've never heard of this. Thanks again.
Barb

------------------

Old 09-17-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Mucopolysaccharide is defined as "a ground proteinaceous substance". (Don't ask me exactly what that means except it's a protein with something to do with sugar - hence the "saccharide" part of the compound word.) Because it isn't water, it doesn't flush out of the joints and tendon spaces with the usual fluid-flushing techniques.
Hope you feel better soon. Those dose adjustments can be murder, can't they?

Old 09-18-2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

You aint kidding! I'm still trying to get used to the fadt that I get cold so easily. I was always the one turning the air conditioner on when everyone else was cool enough. Now, I turn it off or down and my husband and son are complaining it's too hot. And when I go grocery shopping, I'm in the ice cream section sweating my butt off and freezing at the same time! So weird!
Anyhow, thanks for the info. My foot's not as swollen as yesterday but I'm getting tingling in the top of my foot. Never had it there before. hmmmm.
Oh good news. Just found out I'm a grand godmother! My goddaughter had a bouncing baby girl! Yes!!! Can't wait to see her! Gotta go.
Barb

------------------

Old 09-18-2003, 07:25 AM   #6

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

I have Bursitis pain in left great toe,right heel& both hips.I don't have swelling generaly but can have a great deal of pain. I have gone to open shoes.Cann't bring myself to pay the price for Burkenstocks(?)yet,but WalMart's earth shoes have gotten me through the summer.The uglier they are,the better they feel. My boss says that our feet are 20 years older than we are. I take Bextra and Arthrtis Tylenol and sit on ice packs,alot.I may switch to Motrin.I had cortisone shot in heel and right hip. Maybe it helped, maybe not. Already low salt,good fluid intake. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

[This message has been edited by ANNETTE H (edited 09-22-2003).]

Old 09-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
That's interesting - I'm adjusting to synthroid for the first time (2 weeks now and have to double dose to 100 mcg tomorrow) and yesterday my hands swelled so much I had to pry my wedding ring off (and I've already had it made bigger for the extra 50 lbs I gained) and haven't been able to get it back on - I am on bextra also for plantar fasciitis (had shots of cortisone in both heels in july - helped some) and lower back pain - I took some diurex the last two days and maybe I could try the ring on again??....
Wow - what a wide range of symptoms this thyroid affects!!

Hope you feel better Bosmom and Annette!

Take care all,
Kathy

[This message has been edited by wxKathy2 (edited 09-19-2003).]

[This message has been edited by wxKathy2 (edited 09-19-2003).]

Old 09-19-2003, 05:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathy, this is so weird. I have plantar fasciitis too. I want to tell you what really has helped me the most with that. A friend of mine had the same problem for about 10 years. A foot doctor told her to get New Balance shoes. She told me about this. I really didn't think it would help me but I told her I would get a pair and try them. I wore them for a couple of weeks and noticed such a big difference! I no longer have the unbearable pain when I get up in the morning. I don't know what this new pain is. Maybe it's because I haven't worn my New Balance all summer (can't give up my sandals!). I used to be almost drawn to tears with the first 20 or so steps every morning. I also use Dr, Scholls athletic arch supports in my other shoes. I'll never buy any other brand of running shoes again! Hope this helps you. Take care.
Barb

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 09-19-2003).]

Old 09-20-2003, 02:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Hi Barb,

Thanks for the tip - my Dad has been trying to get me to try New Balance - Also he is responsible for my reluctantly getting to the endo - I really am lucky to have my Dad!!

Yes - the pain started out worse in the mornings and then got worse until the pain was constant...the shots helped alot - I have custom orthotics but they were made in 1992 and I think my feet have changed!!

I use Saucony shoes (althought they don't look good at the office!)- they have always felt really good - but the last pair I bought doesn't feel anything like the ones before - so I am severely dissapointed in them.

Just finished 4 weeks of P.T. for the feet and they are better, but I am afraid it's coming back...may have to try those New Balance....I've bought about every possible Dr. Sholl type - none of them give as much arch support as my custom orthotics...but I am willing to try anything -

The plantar fasciitis started after about my first 30 of the 50+ weight gain - I thought it was the weight (I used to be a ballet dancer - can't dance now with the weight and the feet
But maybe it's ALL hypo and maybe LOTS of it will get better with the synthroid...

Thanks for your message!
Kathy

[This message has been edited by wxKathy2 (edited 09-20-2003).]

Old 09-21-2003, 08:08 PM   #10
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Although the topic has been covered quite well , I thought I'd add one note...basically once you get on the proper levels of thyroid hormones for a while, those fluids will go down.

Basically they cause all the joint pain, edema, carpal tunnel syndrome, inability for injured joint areas to heal, etc, etc.

Old 09-21-2003, 09:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathy, I think if New Balance went out of buisness, I'd go into SEVERE depression! I would be lost without them. Plantar faciitis is one of the most painful things anyone could ever experience.
My friend I told you about, she tried Dr. Scholls, Doc Martens and all the "feel ggod" shoes before she found New Balance.
I had prescription arch supports I used for about 12-13 years when I started with the pain. I was told then that the type of arch supports I had (the very hard plastic ones) were only good for about 3 years. I got those Dr. Scolls Athletic arch supports for my work boots. They worked just as good (maybe better) as the scrips.
Let me know how the New Balance works.
Barb

Old 09-21-2003, 10:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sky_eagle, I hope my levels get right soon. I had to take my wedding ring off today. My hands are swelling soooo bad! My left foot is swelling too but no pain today. I have to go in about 2 weeks for the bloodwork. You know my doc will only do TSH. I'm going to call him and ask if he'll do the rest. This swelling is just getting worse. The plantar faciitis is better but I'm now getting less sleep and still tired. Not always able to go to sleep and now I have bronchitis too.
I was dx'd in the ER with hypo. The ER doc said he did the test because I said I was always tired and told her that I have cubital tunnel syndrome in my right arm. That's much like carpal tunnel. I'm glad she caught on to that the 2 minutes I saw her because the 3 docs I saw in the last 2 years didn't have a clue. And they knew my whole history where she didn't. What a battle! Sorry for the pitty party. So tired. Can't sleep. Coughing my lungs up. And hands cramping.
Barb

------------------

Old 09-22-2003, 05:10 AM   #13

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

One other thing that really helps is a pedicure. I had not had one in several years and BOY DID IT FEEL GOOD to have one. For the first time in a long time I stepped down one that right heel with no pain at all It is best to buy your own foot care tools and take them with you. Where I go they have a great chair that gently vibrates.wxKathy,My hubby and I tought C/W line dance for years,Rheumatologist said no more dancing. Now I pick a few favorates to gently dance to.When we hurt so much TLC goes a long way. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Closed Thread