It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Wink Miracle Alert.....Doctor that actually listened!

Today I had my physical with my GP. Of course I scheduled my physical about a month early so that I could ask him to let me try Armour. (So I'm a sneak!) Anyway I'm glad I did, he did listen to what I had to say and he is the one who brought up the Armour word first!!Hallaleuah!!!So tomorrow I will take my first pill.

My point in posting is that no one should ever give up hope, keep on trying. I went to 2 endo's (I know there are many here who went to many more) who knew jack. One suggested that I never take the natural because it will cause osteoporosis (yeah right!)and was bad for me, and the second one thought it was from cow glands. Endos may not always be the answer, keep searching for someone who is open minded and will listen. My GP agreed with me today that I will let him treat me as he has done a fine job managing my care. He also thought that being your own health advocate was a good thing!! I just LUV him! He liked the fact that I brought in a conversion chart for switching synthroid to Armour, if you want to get your doctor to switch you can print it off of the Armour site.

Don't ever give up! I will post how I am doing on the Armour in the future.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:41 AM   #2

poizngypsy HB User
girlygirl,

how is the armour so far? What were you on before?

Congrats on finding a doc to listen. I am going to a new doc this Friday and he is an MD but does alternative med too so I hope he is knowledgeable and open minded about the thyroid issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2003, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Girly, Good for you. My GP is the one I talked into prescribing Armour too and I gave him the conversion chart also. Expect some strange side effects if you have very many symptoms now, but just know it's your body coming back to life, getting better. Let us know how you feel. LOL, IWL

Old 09-23-2003, 11:56 AM   #4

pippismom HB User
WoW! That is how it happend with me....my new doc brought up changing my meds due to the bad TSH (0.04) and mentioned synthroid....(which I had used years ago) and it had caused my TSH do to just the opposite of where it is now??? It was 5.0....go figure. But then I lived in another state for a temp job and was under alot of stess not being home.
Where did you get your conversion chart....as I know many docs hate to deal with that and I have to cut my own pills(Ineed 1 1/4) in order to get the correct dose.....but I am just happy to have it. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. Today was my first day and I feel the same, but I know I need to give it some time. But funny thing...I was reading the info that came with the prescription and I noticed the symptoms of too much hormone, and I started thinking that last week I had a 3 day headache, one day it was so bad that I had to go home and sleep (I don't normally get alot of headaches), I also noticed that when I went number 2 that they were not formed so I increased my fiber and the same thing. I was also pretty tired, had a hard time exercising and keeping up, I started to get shortness of breath. And my hair has been falling out like crazy (thank god I have thick hair) I just thought I needed a med increase, but now I think I was going hyper. I asked my GP yesterday to lower my dosage of Synthroid from .075 to 1/2 grain of Armour to start off slowly. I am so glad I did that.

The only symptoms I that I still have are occasional eye twitches,brittle nails, non existent weight loss, scratchy head, some acne, and the others that I mentioned. So hopefully they will also go away soon.

As I posted earlier, you can find the conversion chart on the Armour website. I takes alot of the guess work out of it.

I'll keep you posted of my positive results! Tootles!!

Old 09-23-2003, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Girly, Remember the conversion chart is just a sort of comparison. It is apples and oranges. If you're converting T4 okay, it may be the conversion chart is close; if you're not, you will eventually need more Armour, but starting slow is good. I should be taking 75mg of Armour by the chart and am on 180mg. The only thing I noticed about my first day on Armour is I felt more relaxed when I laid down to sleep, then slept good, but I started on 60mg. Good luck. IWL

Old 09-24-2003, 05:31 AM   #7

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

Girly,Your info makes ME feel good http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif .Lets hope that this is a roll that we can all jump on!Good luck! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
PS I don't seem to see mistakes before I submit http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif
[This message has been edited by ANNETTE H (edited 09-24-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ANNETTE H (edited 09-24-2003).]

Closed Thread