It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #1

imsotired HB User
Question Does anyone here know about thyroid/diabetes?

I have been on "watch" for diabetes ever since the first time I was dx with gestational diabetes. The reason I am asking for someone with both thyroid and diabetes is I wonder if and how they relate.

I know how to tell the signs that my sugar is too high or too low even though I no longer have to test it by finger *****. However, some of my "signals" just don't add up...I am ALWAYS dizzy despite how high or low my sugar levels are i.e. eating something does not help to control the dizziness, and it occurs with high sugar as well. Also, when diabetes is setting in you get (which I DID with both gest. diab. episodes) increased hunger yet increased weight loss at the same time.....I have neither. Quite the opposite, I eat like a bird and can't lose an ounce.

Everytime I have my blood drawn they test sugar as well. It is generally 140-160 (fasting). I guess my question is are neither thyroid nor diabetes being diagnosed because of interference of the other? (If that make any sense) Can one alter the other's testing accuracy?

I know I am at high risk for diabetes and have no doubt I'm probably already there, yet hypoT symptoms interrupt my day much more that diabetic symptoms and I can't seem to get help with either.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Hi, I have both Graves disease and insulin resistance (precursor to Type 2 diabetes). At my lab a fasting glucose rate of over 110 indicated diabetes. Has your doctor ever done any other testing on you to check for diabetes, such as a glucose tolerance test, Ha1c or C-Peptide blood test?

If you go to a good search engine like [url="http://www.***********"]www.***********[/url] and type in "thyroid disease and diabetes" you will get many websites to visit with more info on the subject.

Diabetes Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, as is Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
140-160 fasting glucose seems high to me. My dad was dianosed as diabetic with 135 fasting glucose. I have hypoglycemia and my doctor told me one's fasting glucose should be 90 and 2 hrs after eating should be no more than 120 or else one is headed for trouble.

The only connection between the two I have heard of is if you have hypothyroid because of Hashimotos then one supposedly is at higher risk of getting other autoimmune disorders like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.

Old 09-25-2003, 07:06 AM   #4

Blaana HB User
I was just diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia and/or insulin resistance. My doctor told me some very interesting things about it. He says that it interferes with the conversion of T4 to T3 and that thyroid levels will look normal even though this is going on. It also causes alot of other problems like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, increased production of steroids, memory and concentration problems, fatigue, certain vitamin deficiencies, and lots of other things I can't remember right now.

The way that I was diagnosed was with a 2 hour glucose tolerance test. The blood sugar and insulin levels were normal at first, then after drinking the orange soda they gave me my insulin level went above the normal range and stayed up a while, while the sugar stayed within normal.

The treatment is a low fat, low carbohydrate diet with adequate protein. I can eat fruits and vegetables, just not the bad carbs. Also, aerobic exercise every day. My doctor said that just walking won't work, it has to be running, biking or aerobics or something that makes you sweat. And he gave me a medicine to take callled actos that he said will correct the problem, if I do the other 2 things.

This is how he explained it to me. The pancreas keeps putting out alot of insulin to get rid of the sugar in the blood, or to transport the sugar into the cells. Well, the cells delay their reception of the sugar into the cells so the pancreas puts out more insulin. After a while the cells become more sluggish in receiving the sugar in, so you get all these other problems that are associated with glucose and metabolism because the glucose is not in the cell doing it's job. And then you've got all this extra insulin floating around in your blood causing all kinds of other problems. Then fat starts to build up in your organs. So, my doctor said that this medicine will correct the insulin-sugar-cell relationship and move the fat out of the organs. If this problem progresses then you get diabetes. If it's treated before diabetes then it can be corrected with the actos. I only have to take it for about 6-9 months and I'm on half of the lowest dose since I don't have it too bad.

I thought all this was amazing. I had never heard of this before. It would explain so many of the problems I've had over the years. Oh, and also, hyperinsulinemia lowers your immune system function. So you become susceptible to illnesses. And if you have a T4 to T3 conversion problem and don't have enough T3, then your neurotransmitters probably are not working properly in your brain either which can cause depression, anxiety, and other things.

Well, anyway, if you do a search of hyperinsulinemia and thyroid you'll get lots of information about this.

Have a great day!!
Blaana

Old 09-25-2003, 08:03 AM   #5

RJ Bux HB User
Blaana
This question is for you!
I have been searching the archives for info. about people who have had experience with taking Synthroid and Cytomel together and came across a few of your 'takes' stating that you do. I have been taking Synthroid only for 7 years and had my entire thyroid removed due to cancer in 1997. I recently swithced docs and my new one put me on Cytomel along with my usual dose of Synthroid.
How has this combination worked for you? What kind of symptoms did you have before starting the Cytomel? Did it alleviate any of them? and how long have you been on Cytomel, if you are still on it?

Old 09-25-2003, 08:50 AM   #6

Blaana HB User
Hi,

I started on synthroid 10 months ago and was on it alone for 1 week then went in the hospital. An Endocrinologist started seeing me then and started me on 25mcg of cytomel and I was better within a few hours.

The symptoms I had were no energy, high blood pressure,high heart rate, depression, dull emotions, low sodium and the other usual hypothyroid symptoms.

The doctor sent me home with a 2 week only prescription for cytomel along with the synthroid. I felt great emotionally and mentally and was regaining my energy. When my cytomel ran out, the next day I started freaking out, very anxious about every little thing, crying, and acting like a little 2 year old. So, I called him and he put me back on it. Over the months I have been tapered off of it and was on 5 mcg until about 2 weeks ago when I stopped taking it. The reason I stopped is because I started having anxiety 2 months ago and my blood pressure went back up. It seemed to me that the cytomel was increasing my anxiety. I don't know for sure though.

I guess my body doesn't need it anymore.

I think that if a person needs T3 then cytomel is going to make them feel better and if they don't need it then it is going to make them feel worse. Just my opinion though, I don't know for sure.

Blaana

Old 09-25-2003, 11:26 AM   #7

RJ Bux HB User
Blaana
Sounds like you have run the gamut with cytomel. Hope things work out for you! Thanks for the info.!
RJ

Old 12-09-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
(male)

KSManinCO HB User
Re: Does anyone here know about thyroid/diabetes?

This has nothing to do with the thyroid issues, but I am a diabetic and have listened to about 12 different doctors and their theories. Almost all agree that post-prandial and fasting glucose MUST be 80-120 to be considered "normal". There is no "pre-diabetes", if you are diabetic but have your weight in check and get off your pills, you will still be sticking in the good range, but you are still "diabetic", you just won't have any symptoms if you use good sense.

Another thing, if you are diagnosed as a "pre-diabetic" or insulin resistant, just get over it, you ARE diabetic and will have to do the same things that diabetics do to control their blood sugar. Plus, if you are diagnosed with the insulin resistance, you can start now and hopefully stay off drugs.

(I'm currently 70 pounds lighter after a year of drastic changes and am starting to tinker with my DB drugs, hopefully this thyroid deal won't fool with that, I'm tired of taking 12-15 pills a day.)

Closed Thread