It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 09:30 AM   #1

hfm HB User
Thumbs down Feel good one day, bad the next--what's up?

Does anyone or has anyone felt completely hypo one day and within a couple of days felt much better, then a couple of days later terrible again?

I've been feeling very hypo for a few months with brief periods of feeling good (not terrific, but mood much better, more energy, even my hair sometimes feels less dry). I appreciate the good times, but it makes me feel crazy, and I don't think my husband understands how one day I am totally irritable and a few days later happy.

I have an appt. with an endo in a couple of weeks and very much want him to diagnose me with hypo-t and give me meds. If I am not totally dragging and miserable on the day of the appt., I fear he will dismiss my symptoms.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather

Old 09-10-2003, 10:01 AM   #2

Cuibono HB User
Sorry to hear how you are feeling. I am hypo/hyper and have had those days, however, with treatment I can usually go weeks before I swing again. I suggest that when you see your endo be proactive and request complete thyroid panel including antibody test. Just my opinion but I have learned to be very educated and proactive about my illness.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
I always say how I feel changes from minute to minute, its almost that bad, I can feel good and bad and good again all in the same day.
As your thyroid levels fluctuate so will how you feel, and it can also be affected by what you eat, and for women, that time of the month can affect it because of the hormone swings. Thyroid affects everything in your body, so stress, moods, etc etc etc can affect how you feel even the weather can affect it.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

meema HB User
Sometimes I think I'm on a rollercoaster. I'll feel great for 2 weeks, then I can feel myself slowly slide downwards. Sometimes the intervals will be longer, sometimes shorter. The other day I woke up feeling so tired and like I wanted to cry, and then 3 hours later I noticed that I had lots of energy and was in a really good mood. I've been tested both during a high and during a low, and my numbers don't change all that much. My doctor's thinking there might be an underlying adrenal problem causing the fluctuations, so I'm hoping that treating that will make me a little more stable.

Old 09-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

i too have swings, about 2 months stable and then NOT! hypo again so must increase the dosage ... SUCH a pain, because my legs start cramping, my sleepiness is just FOREVER, yadda yaddda ...

jb

Old 09-19-2003, 04:00 PM   #6

kaykitty HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by hfm:
Does anyone or has anyone felt completely hypo one day and within a couple of days felt much better, then a couple of days later terrible again?

I've been feeling very hypo for a few months with brief periods of feeling good (not terrific, but mood much better, more energy, even my hair sometimes feels less dry). I appreciate the good times, but it makes me feel crazy, and I don't think my husband understands how one day I am totally irritable and a few days later happy.

I have an appt. with an endo in a couple of weeks and very much want him to diagnose me with hypo-t and give me meds. If I am not totally dragging and miserable on the day of the appt., I fear he will dismiss my symptoms.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather

Old 09-19-2003, 04:03 PM   #7

kaykitty HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by kaykitty:
Whoops! I don't know what I did. Sorry for any inconvience.I guess it is the brain fog that goes along with hypothyroidism. I hope that I am doing this right.

Old 09-20-2003, 06:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
I'm HypoT and Hashi. I will have periods of time where the swings are weeks, some that are days, and some that are hours long. Just all over the map. What you are experiencing sounds very consistent with this condition.

Old 09-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
Hashimoto's disease will cause major swings in hormone levels that your thyroid gland puts out. You may swing from hypo to normal to hyper and anywhere in between - it depends on the current levels of your antibodies and how the thyroid is reacting to the attack they are making.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:27 PM   #10

hfm HB User
Thanks for all of the replies. My appt. with the endo is Friday and I am actually feeling a lot more energy and my mood is much better. I can actually wash my hair every other or every day without it feeling totally parched.

I'm nervous for my visit with the endo. I scheduled the appt. in July! Over the last few months, I have had moments when I was so completely miserable I felt I would have to run away and take refuge in a psych ward. I have been feeling better--not normal--but not like I just want to get out of my body.

This appt. has been something I have been looking forward to because I am counting on getting medication. (I believe in the power of positive thinking.) Now I feel like I may have to have tests done and wait for the results and schedule another appt. and who knows how long before I can start feeling sane again.

If I have Hashimoto's (which I truly believe I do), and I am cycling through hypo and hyper and normal thyroid function, can I still be prescribed medication for when I am feeling hypo?

Thanks in advance,

Heather

Old 09-29-2003, 08:56 AM   #11

RileysMom HB User
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for explaining this because I thought I was absolutely crazy when I would have 5-7 days of feeling fairly normal and then boom, back down into the abyss. My fear has also been that when I finally do see the Endo he will tell me it is all in my head like my primary has. Although he has come around a bit and at least recognizes that something is not quite right even though last labs all came back "normal". I thought that I had to feel completely awful for forever before I could be diagnosed. I am so grateful for all of you because at least I know I am not crazy and that others have /or are going through the same thing. What I have learned to not give up and keep being the best advocate for myself as I possibly can. Thank you!!!!!!!

Chris

Closed Thread