It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 12:12 PM   #1

Ibis HB User
Post I'm afraid to take my calcium pills??

Help???
I am not taking my calcium because I am afraid it will block the thyroid meds. I am taking 3 grns Armour and Cytomel daily. I just started the Cytomel a month ago. I am feeling so much better, but I am very wary of doing Anything to block the thyroid meds. How do you take your calcium? I have Fosamax(SP?) but have not taken it since it says to take 1 hour before breakfast. That is when I take my Thyroid meds. So I am confused.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
With Calcium, it is best to take it at least 4 hours from when you take your thyroid meds. This also applies to calcium rich foods like milk and calcium enriched orange juice that are popular to drink with breakfast.

My recommendation is to take the Fosomax or your thyroid meds (your choice) before bed and the other before breakfast.

The Cytomel cn be taken with food (contrary to popular belief) as long as it isn't rich in calcium or iron. So, you could take your Cytomel with lunch, if you wanted, even if you too the Fosomax before breakfast.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 08:57 PM   #3

cindy080661 HB User
Don't be afraid of your calcium. You should take your synthroid meds in the morning one hour before food and take your calcium in the evening. This way you will have no problems.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:20 AM   #4

Rachelyne HB User
Hi:
Maybe you would like to read these past posts about Fosamax. Just copy the URL Address and it will come up. It is on the first page of the bulletin board still under: Dr says Fosamax not calcium??? - HealthBoards Bulletin Board
[url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/004219.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/004219.html[/url]

Old 10-02-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User
You absolutely should "not" take Fosamax before bed. This is not a regular type calcium supplement. It is a very potent drug and must be taken "exactly" according to the directions; that is, in the AM l hour before you eat or drink anything. Then you must not lie down for an hour either. To divert from those instructions could cause serious side effects, such as blockage of the esophagus.

Peregrine

Old 10-02-2003, 01:54 PM   #6

Ibis HB User
Yes, I posted the post " Dr says Fosamax not calcium??? " After reading the replies to that post, I am Not taking the Fosamax, I bought a liquid calcium and Try to take it in the afternoon.
I want my Dr to send me back for a bone density test to recheck by bones. I went from "The bones of a 29 year old" to just the beginnings of minus. I am convinced that not having the thyroid hormone in my blood was the cause of that. Thank you for your information

Old 10-03-2003, 11:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Yeah that Fosamax is getting a lot of bad reports lately...and not just on this board. Certainly don't avoid calcium it is important for more than just your bones by the way. Have you considered trying Armour for your thyroid? It contains a little talked about hormone called calcitonin that helps your body to utilize calcium. I take calcium at bedtime, that way no interference with the thyroid med. Calcium is suppose to help you sleep apparently as it is used in many melatonin preparations.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #8

Ibis HB User
AngelaA, Thanks for your reply.I am the biggest Armour fan!! I bought a liquid calcium and I am taking it in the afternoons. It is not the brand that IWL uses, but all I could get in Reno. I might go on the web and search for another brand.

Thanks
I

Old 10-03-2003, 12:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Ibis- Now I went back and reread your post. You are already on Armour. Sorry I missed that. About the liquid calcium, is there a reason for getting one brand over another? I found one kind of liquid calcium at the healthfood store. I don't remember the brand. It was orange flavored is all I remember. I'm thinking about trying it later on. Meanwhile I have a bottle of Citracal I need to finish up and just discovered another unopened bottle of it in the cabinet.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:59 PM   #10

Ibis HB User
I got messed up when I was eating soy and taking my meds with other supplements. IWL gave me some great info re calcium. It is in the
"My new Dr says Fosamax is not Calcium" post. She had good results with a particular brand of liquid calcium, but I just got what they had a Wild Oats. I have not had time to search further.

Old 10-04-2003, 03:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

i've begun taking huge amounts of vitamin D with my calcium, because the calcium cannot be converted w/o it ... i take 1000 units per day, plus what's in the calcium ...

i read on the 'net that there was a study done involving a group of elderly people (70's) who were given 4000 units of D and their bone density went up considerably with no side effects (yes, there was a control group) ...

jb

Old 10-04-2003, 05:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Vitamin D is water soluable/doesn't store, right? It's not in many foods except fortified milk. That's the one you need to go out into the sun to get, but it's not healthy to get too much sun. How did you come to that amount. Is that what the study recommended for osteo. I still haven't had a bone density test. But since I've tried to have everything else my mother has, well why stop now. How long does it take to show improvement? IWL

Closed Thread