It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Post Help - I'm going crazy with mood swings while adjusting to synthroid

Hi All,

I have been on 50 mcg for 2 weeks and today started the 100 mcg for the next two weeks (then return to endo)...I am going CRAZY adjusting to this - is this normal?? My mood swings are terrible, I'm irritable and desparing - I'm making myself and my husband crazy....I don't know what's real....

Has anyone else been through this - when my body adjusts will there be a light at the end of this tunnel - I don't even have the perspective to see that.....

Thanks for your help....

Kathy

Old 09-19-2003, 08:15 PM   #2

Blaana HB User
I have mood swings, anxiety, and confusion at times and have just recently found that avoiding sugar and simple carbs and eating an adequate amount of protein helps. Also, taking a vitamin B supplement has helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Cool

I totally agree with Blaana.

Avoiding sugar and simple carbs and eating an adequate amount of protein does help a lot.

Take B 100 or 50 mg. complex daily to feed your nerves. It does not store in the body, and your nerves will be shot without it. You will notice a difference in a few days. It also raises the pain threshold, so we are not as sensitive to outside stimulation or pain.

Also, taking 100 or 200 mg daily of selenium helps the body convert the T4 into useable T3.

[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 09-20-2003).]

Old 09-20-2003, 05:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
wow tree frog, I'll have to run out to the store and get some B complex. My pain threshold has been almost nill since before my dx. I went to the dentist with a sore tooth a couple of weeks ago. He must have given me 10 shots to dull the pain of drilling! He kept giving me a shot, come back and say "Is it numb yet?". No. Back and forth. He would start drilling and every time he touched my tooth with the drill, it felt like I had no locals and he was drilling right into the nerce! I know he wasn't but it felt like it. Good thing he was a nice patient man. He seemed to understand hypothyroidism more than my PCP. He explained to me why he was giving me a few shots instead of just one. He said with my hypo not being fully under control yet (and the fact that I had an infection in the tooth), my pain threshold would be diminished. More than my PCP ever told me.
Anyhow, thanks for the info. Take care.
Barb

------------------
"Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things".

[This message has been edited by Bosmom (edited 09-20-2003).]

Old 09-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi Bosmom,
You're welcome.

It is ttrue that being hypo and undertreated make sus more susceptible to pain. Sounds like you have it to the extreme.

B helps a lot, but of course does not replace thyroid med.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Bosmom,
We must be relatives - I have to have two-eight shots to get my fillings and the pain meds they use for everything else never work either!! Will be consistent with my B vita....thanks!

Kathy

Old 10-07-2003, 07:04 PM   #7

lula52 HB User
Don't know about others, but my mood swings were almost bi-polar. Good grief..I'd go from Mother Teresa to Broom Hilda in a second! My daughters wanted me to "ask" the doctor for anti-depress...no way! Then the boo-hoo's were just as bad. My thyroid was on vacation...totally relaxed..Once my new endo started me on the proper med and dosage, did I get some relief. Buzzing flies don't make me cry anymore.
Gotta have some humor to all this decrepitness which comes with thyroid conditons. Best wishes to all!

Old 10-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #8

Jessicaca HB User
OMG!!! Hypo's have a sensitivity to pain and outside stimualtion?? NO wonder I can't stand to be touched 1/2 the time and if ANYONE tries to tickle me, I'll kill them!!! Here I thought i was nuts.

And as for pain...when I delievered my ds, they couldn't pump in enough meds (epidurals included) to numb the pain. I had to go for a csection and the only time there was no pain was with a spinal. I swear they shot me up 15times with meds!! HOLY COW!!

Is that a light I see?? Maybe the fog in my tunnel is finally clearing!!

Closed Thread