It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2003, 09:04 PM   #1

daldre1269 HB User
Post I just don't get this

I just had labs done and my free t4 is exactly the same as it was prior to medication. I don't get it... shouldn't this number increase if I am taking armour?

If anybody has any insight on this I would really appreciate it.

Old 09-20-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi daldre1269,

It seems to me more likely that the new dose would affect your TSH most quickly. Did that change?

But Free T4 shows the level of useable T4, and it may not have been long enough for the new dose to saturate the cells, or it may be that you are not yet getting enough T4 to raise the useable level.

Waht did your doc say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
FT4 may not necessarily increase. T4 is a storage hormone and not your active hormone - T3 is that active hormone. If you are unable to utilize the T4, it may build up some because the T3 isn't available to use for energy to convert it. However, when you take Armour you suplement with T3 along with the T4, so the body may over time become more able to convert the T4 to T3, so you may not see an attendant jump in T4 when you add T3 - basically the body is able to use more T3.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:18 AM   #4

daldre1269 HB User
Hi Tree Frog,

My doctor didn't know what to make of it... It was at the top of the normal range... exactly where it was Pre Medication. I guess I wouldn't want that number to go higher anyway ..... but it's just not logical... pump my body with t4 and the number stays the same. My TSH was suppressed, yes, that number did change. I guess some things are just a mystery.

Hi Sky Eagle,

Thanks for your input. My t3 is high.. I guess you are right that is what counts.

[This message has been edited by daldre1269 (edited 09-22-2003).]

Old 10-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi daldre1269,

T3 has a short useable life in the blood (it is useable only for a few hours), and T4 is stored in the cells until needed. So, we usually need adequate T4, at least, if not added T3.

It takes four to six weeks of a consistent dose of T4 before the cells are saturated at that dose, which is why I suggested that the T4 you have been taking may not have saturated your cells yet or your dose may still be too low.

I was taking Armour which has both T3 and T4 in it, plus pure T3 (Cytomel). But my T4 level was still low, and I was symptomatic, in spite of the T3 I was taking.

My doc cares about the FreeT4 level, too, and so backed off the pure T3 in order to add more T4 to my dose, because my Free T4 was quite low. Translated, what this means is, we stopped the Cytomel, and raised my daily Armour dose, which means the T4 was considerably raised, and the total ammount of T3 was lowered a little.

Try taking selenium, no more than 200 mg a day for a couple of months, to see if that helps your symptoms and blood levels. It often does. It really makes the difference for me...we cannot convert T4 into T3 without adequate selenium, and not knowing where our food is grown anymore, we don't know if we are getting enough of it.

Closed Thread