It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 09:08 AM   #1

spaceyz HB User
Post Out of Range TSH Level

Hi! I am finally reaching out to other people instead of doctors about my situation. I have been diagnosed Hypothyroid and treated with Synthroid for almost 11 years now. This is a result from taking Lithium for the past 16 years. I also take Xanax, Wellbutrin, Ritalin for Bipolar disorder. So, my problem is that my doctor keeps lowering my Synthroid because my TSH level has been reading at .05 (yes, not .5) so it is way out of range. They took me off my meds and within a week I couldn't get out of bed. I feel just like I did when I was first diagnosed. This TSH level has been consistant for 1 1/2 years of testing, and they kept lowering my meds and I became worse as a result. My body indicates I am hypo, but my labs say I am hyper now?? How can this be? T3 and T4 look normal. Could another med I take be the culprit in that it could be altering my TSH level falsely? I am desperate for a solution. Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
There are some drugs and hormones that will interfere with TSH and thyroid tests. Corticosteriods, hormones;estrogen,progesterone,Birth control Pills, large does of aspirin, warfarin,heparin, morfine, and a few others. I got this from *****. The others that I didn't refer too are not any of the drugs that you are taking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2003, 10:04 AM   #3
Inactive

Sky_Eagle1 HB User
And then too, TSH is an unacceptably poor measure of your thyroid health to begin with, and should NEVER be used as a measure of such. I mean, you should measure your pituitary gland to see if your thyroid gland is working right? Makes no sense, and I still haven't seen any scientific studies to this date that prove that as such.

I wonder if there's a greed motivation there. Thyroid hormone treatment plans were so much better 30 years ago and then deteriorated bigtime after evil tyrant TSH came along, I wonder if anyone has a clue...of course I know they don't...

The only concern doctors have is not the quality of patient care, but the quantity of money from their patients.

[This message has been edited by Sky_Eagle1 (edited 09-25-2003).]

Old 09-25-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
I have the same problem with my TSH too (.049) and I am hypo. I asked my doctor to adjust my meds but he said no. I know TSH alone is not a good indicator but something is a little off in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:22 PM   #5

pippismom HB User
My TSH is 0.04 and I am hypo too!
I have had part of my throid gland removed 30 years ago and had to begin therapy about 15 years after that. I was only a teen when I had the surgery...
Now I am sure they would not be so quick to operate.
I have been on levothroid for the past few years as synthroid had made my TSH too high.
Now my doc has finally listened and give me a rx for ARMOUR!!!! I have high hopes and after 2 weeks and feel great even though it is exactly half the strength of the levothroid!
My obgyn had just upped my estrogen due to a poor bone density test....but I am really trying to wean myslef off as I feel the estrogen and wrong thyroid meds only zapped the calcium I was taking.
Stay away from any and all soft drinks too....:0
Good Luck!!!!

Old 09-25-2003, 02:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Girls, progesterone deficiencies can cause hypothyroidism and this is common in women in perimenopause and menopause. It's common for women with hypothyroidism to use natural progesterone cream and their thyroid goes back to "normal".... A lack of progesterone in our systems inhibits the T4 to T3 conversion. You can get natural progesterone cream off the shelf at your drugstore or you can order it online. Research progesterone deficiency online.

Marilyn

Old 09-25-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
"progesterone deficiencies can cause hypothyroidism"
I have never heard of this. I am post-menopause and do not take any HRT for the simple reason my body couldn't handle it even on the lowest dosage. I had every known side effect and felt it wasn't worth it, plus I feel better not taking it. However everyone is different and some women can't live without it.

From the book "The Thyroid Solution" it says,
In women hypothyroidism causes a reduction in estrogen and progesterone levels and can contribute to a cessatin of ovulation. This seems to be in opposition of what you stated about progesterone. I feel my thryoid problem caused me to go into early menopause and the information from the book seems to support this.

Old 09-25-2003, 03:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I'm getting my information from "What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You About Menopause" by Dr. John R. Lee, MD During perimenopause, we have excessive amount of estrogen and inadequate amounts of progesterone. Dr. Lee says "Thyroid hormone and estrogen have opposing actions. The "central command post" of this opposition may be in the hypothalamus, the pituitary, the thyroid gland, or the body cells where the hormones enact their destined roles. Estrogen inhibits thyroid action in the cells, probably interfering with the binding of thyroid action to its receptor. Both hormones have phenol rings at a corner of their molecule. Estrogen may compete with thyroid hormone at the site of its receptor. In so doing, the thyroid hormone may never complete its mission, creating the hypothyroid symptoms despite normal serum levels of thyroid hormone. Progesterone, on the other hand, increases the sensitivity of estrogen receptors for estrogen and yet, at the proper level, inhibits many of estrogen's side effects. That is what is meant when we say that progesterone "opposes" estrogen: The lack of progesterone in a woman still making estrogen or taking estrogen supplements leads to the condition of "unopposed" estrogen. I will elave the exact mechanism of action to the biochemists, but it is clear to me that symptoms of hypothyroidism occuring in patients with unopposed estrogen (progesterone-deficient) become less so when progesterone is added and hormone balance is attained.

Dr. Lee says: "As I became aware of estrogen dominance sydrome, I noticed that the taking of thyroid supplements was especially common in women with this condition. When I attempted to correct their estrogen dominance by adding progesterone, it was common to see that their need for thyroid supplements decreased and could often be successfully eliminated. Thus I became aware that estrogen, progesterone and thyroid hormones are interrelated."

Natural progesterone cream has no side affects, so it won't hurt anyone to try it. And from what I've heard from other women on this website's menopause forum, natural progesterone had helped many of them and given them back their sanity and their lives. I've even heard some say their sexual desire returned to the level it had been at years ago!

Marilyn

Old 09-25-2003, 06:35 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

dlkk, I just found this in my book "Thyroid Power" by Richard Shames MD, and Karilee Shames, RN, PHd.

"Low thyroid sufferers who need additional female hormone balance might well consider taking glandular ovary, or Mexican yam products, also sold at most health food stores. (Natural progesterone is made from the wild yam.)

Marilyn

Old 09-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Marilyn, what would the symptoms be? I have NO sex drive at all...I am hashis~hypo. I think I saw Progesterone cream at the health food store, are you sure it won't make me have MORE facial hair

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular
No meds, waiting for scan

Old 09-25-2003, 10:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
I use progesterone cream as part of an effort to help my adrenals. I started the progesterone about a month before I started the Armour. Don't know which one gave me back my sex drive, but both probably helped. Progesterone cream does not have all the side effects the synthetic pill does(I would never touch that).

Spaceyz, What are your free T3 and free T4 levels. Normal is a matter of opinion. I'm not okay unless those levels are at the very high end of normal and my Tsh is less than 1.

Dlkk, You are changing drs., right? IWL

Old 09-26-2003, 03:48 AM   #12

daldre1269 HB User
Hi.....BELIEVE IT OR NOT.....my Tsh is .01 and I am NOT hyper in anyway whatsoever.

You cannot allow your doctor to make decisions based on TSH...

If your doctor makes decisions based on your TSH alone... because he is obviously misinformed than....you will remain sick and be denied the adequate amount of thyroid hormone that you need.

Boy, this ticks me off... what these doctors do. I would find another doctor..... this guy obviously has no clue and should not be the one regulating your thyroid.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:58 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
I had my throid checked back in Feb. and my TSH was 7.......i am not sure if there should be a zero in front of that or not, but i remember her telling me it was at 7.....I feel totally fine. no symptoms of anything.......I went for my yearly physical yesterday and she of course ordered blood work.I will get the results back next week. She mentioned that because my TSH was higher than it should be, she recommended an ultra sound of my throid to make sure there was no nodules.....I was wondering why? I guess i will have to see how my test comes back this time.Anyone have a high TSH and feel perfectly fine.....Please let me know.thanks.....by the way, i too use progesterone cream on a daily basis for menopausal symptoms.
thanks again...bride527

Old 09-26-2003, 08:48 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

dlkk HB User
Marilyn-
I have read Dr Lee's sites. If you go over to the early menopause site you will find the opinion of most people there that Dr Lee is a nut. Just a thought.

Old 09-26-2003, 09:05 AM   #15

spaceyz HB User
Iwannalife: My free T3 is 2.57 nor.(2.30-4.20)
My free T4 is 1.41 nor.(.76-1.76)
My TSH level is .05 nor.(.3-5.7)

Just got back more lab results yesterday:

Cortisol pm is 6.46 nor.(3.09-16.66)
Prolactin is 9.30 nor.(2.80-29.20)

Since this all seems to be hormone related, I wonder if surgery could have caused any problems. I had 2 C-section deliveries and during the 2nd, I had a procedure called "IRVING" tubal ligation technique. They sever the fallopian tube and then insert them back into the uterine lining and suture it closed. I already was diag. hypo before that, but my doctor never mentioned the possiblity of any decreased hormone levels post-op. Any wisdom in this area would be so helpful. Thanks
Spaceyz

Closed Thread