It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 07:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Unhappy My update.....

Well, this site hasn't let me post in a few weeks, but I think it's OK now.

I haven't been feeling that great, and I went on the hunt for a new dr, since mine would only RX Synthroid. I also was still have sore throat pain and difficulty swallowing, which my old dr said was no big deal

My last labs were, TSH 0.37, free T4 1.22 (0.58-1.64), free T3 3.56 (2.39-6.79).

Well, my new DR said it was a big deal and had a barrium swallow and an ultrasound done....the ultrasound came back with a multi nodular goiter, this scared me to say the least.

Then, the dr told me he wanted me to have a scan done and I needed to go off my medication for 4 weeks At first they said 6, but since I was on such a low dose, they said 4 would be fine.

It's been 4 days now without medication and I already feel more symptoms coming back

But the good news is I have a new bottle of Armour here waiting for me....yipee!

I also have a question...he tested my Reverse T3 and it was all the way at the highest end of the range, I am still confused as to what exactly this means.

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 09-19-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Checking new signature....

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular
No meds, waiting for scan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 11:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Cool

I found this info~

Reverse T3 is biologically inactive and levels tend to parallel those of T4 in normal subjects. Reverse T3 and T4 are observed to have low concentrations in hypothyroidism and elevated levels in hyperthyroidism. Patients with metabolic disorders tend to have decreased conversion of T4 to T3 while conversion of T4 to rT3 is increased.

Old 09-20-2003, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Hi LM3Gs! Glad you're back.

I'm sorry you have to go without meds and feel so bad until your scan. But you should be ecstatic about that new doctor! He sounds like a gem...very thorough and knowledgeable.
I've been wondering if I might need an imaging type of exam of my thyroid...but the thought of a barium swallow is repugnant. I know an ultrasound would be a piece of cake, and even a scan wouldn't be tough (since I'm not on med anyway), but I'm not too sure about that barium thing.
Were they specifically checking your thyroid with the barium test, or did they do it to rule out esophagus and/or stomach problems?

Old 09-20-2003, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Midwest! I am thrilled about my new Dr, he is an MD and not an Endo. He goes by how the patient feels and not labs and say he will let my TSH go all the way down as long as I feel good.

The barrium swallow was not near as bad as I thought, the chalky stuff you drink is cherry flavored, it kind of remined me of a yogurt drink. He was looking for why I was having a difficult time swallowing and the test came back fine....so it was nothing to do with my esophagus per se, and just my thyroid.

I have not heard of many who have to do the swallow test, usually just an U.S....are you having discomfort?

Meep.....thanks, so with my Reverse T3 sky high, that means I am hyper?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular

Old 09-20-2003, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SORRY Tree Frog that I called you Meep You are both so helpful, that is why I got confused...lol

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular

Old 09-20-2003, 05:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by lovemythreeguys2002:
....are you having discomfort?
Well, the "lump" sensation is back on a daily basis after having disappeared while on Synthroid. I'm imagining all kinds of things from a nodule to substernal goiter! (Yeah... I get carried away sometimes... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif ) But then again, I sometimes think it's something wrong with my diaphragm or esophagus... but why would that have improved with the med? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

The endo I'm seeing only felt my thyroid, but not all that thoroughly, and all she says is that it isn't enlarged.

Old 09-20-2003, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Midwest, I don't mean to scare you, but if you are feeling something, I would pursue it, my last DR blew me off too....I have heard a nodule has to be quite big for them to feel it.

God forbid they find cancer, I think I will go back and sue his butt

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular

Old 09-20-2003, 08:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi lovemythreeguys2002,
That's OK...

You may have been hyper at the time of the test, since Hashi makes the levels fluctuate. That doesn't mean you are hyper always. Your thyroid may be dumping thyroid hormone right now.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-21-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Hi,

I don't have any advice, except to say the ultrasound & barium swallow tests can sometimes not show a lump. I have that lump in throat feeling though nothing came back on ultrasound. I was talking about this with a lady who told me her friend (who is wife of a dr) had 4 tests run before getting a positive diagnosis. It was a catscan that showed a rather large lump on the BACK of her thyroid, thus it wasn't showing up in any of the other tests.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks very much AngelaA! I'll keep those things in mind.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I had my uptake scan yesterday and finished it this morning...piece of cake.

I go to the dr's tomorrow to hopefully hear the report and then start my med...YAY!

My symptoms really started coming back again about 4 days ago

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
Multi-nodular

Old 10-14-2003, 08:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Good for you. I hope you get some insight.

I keep seeing that signature "no meds", and my body just aches thinking about what you must be going through. Good you're getting back on the meds. I forget what you are taking.... hopfully it has T3 in it, so it's quick to releave symptoms.

Closed Thread