It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Post cytomel and hot flashes

can cytomel cause hot flashes? (no, i'm not in menopause, has nothing to do w/menopause, went thru' that 15 years ago (ok, i was young -- 45) ...

i've been having hot flashes for at least the past month, and been on increased cytomel for 2 months ... could that be the cause?

honest to god, i'm so tired of feeling like crap, have felt like this for the past year and i'm TIRED of it ...

jb

Old 10-17-2003, 01:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Jinglebts, I would say positively maybe. How much cytomel are you on now. Since I've read things(don't know if they're true) about women going through menopause early due to thyroid deficiency, maybe you're going backwards if you're finally starting to get enough T3. Don't worry, not that far backwards. Do you take HRT? When you said something about the progesterone cream making you feel PMSY, I wondered if your hormones, female too are confused. I still use the cream a couple weeks out of the month, but I don't know what PMS is, so don't know if I get that. I do still have to battle a little harder to keep my intestines okay during "my time" and on or about ovulation time. I'm too old for all that, but not my choice, I guess. Anyway, my first week on the Cytomel has been okay. No flashes of any kind. I am sleeping deeper/harder, wake up groggier(is that a word)? Does cytomel make your mouth taste weird, or is it the fillers that I got mail ordering mine. I'm not sure I want to think about what fillers are in mine though.

I have started to think of this disease as a thousand performing ballerinas. When one gets out of step, it can throw so many things off. So point your toes and just keep trying. LOL IWL P.S. Daldre would be a good one to ask cytomel quiestions, she takes alot.

[This message has been edited by Iwannalife (edited 10-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Jinglebts, After reading another one of your posts, I remembered that when I tried the 125mcg of synthroid(each time), I was burning up half the time. Big face sweat-er, so it was embarrassing in the dead of winter. Funny how I don't remember alot of that unless something jogs my memory. Selective amnesia. IWL

Old 10-17-2003, 02:21 PM   #4

stormyrn HB User
Red face

Oh, hot flashes. That's something I hadn't mentioned before. Not sure what causes mine. I figured it was this perimenopause thing. I was having them before all this other stuff. Last period was mid December 2002. I'm 47 yrs. old. Not on HRT yet, but endo encouraged me to talk to my PCP about HRT. Said that a side effect of thyroid suppression is decreased absorption of calcium in the bones >>>> osteoporosis. I didn't stop to think taking synthroid might cause increase in frequency of the hot flashes. Maybe, maybe not. They are absolutely miserable. Everyone around me looks at me as though I must really be off kilter. Oh, how complicated life is!

Pat

[This message has been edited by stormyrn (edited 10-17-2003).]

Old 10-17-2003, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

stormyrn:

i broke my hip last may due to osteo, was declared hypo in march, but by that time i'd been hypo for at LEAST eight months (lower legs bloating), and hadn't used a successful AD since july ... i read that when NO AD works, it's because of a lack of T3, so by my reckoning, i'd been hypo since at least july 2002 -- and only treated in march of this year (winter was a nightmare of horrible leg pain, shivering when the temp. was 80 degrees, depression) ... then an astute CFS doc did a thyroid test (march) and my TSH was 3.9; i started to recover, but i'm "stuck" at lo-level fatigue, hot flashes ...

anyhoo, my BD also plummetted in october 2002, and i figure it was the hypo that made my hip break (in other words, it caused my osteo th... i was walking quite quickly out the door, tripped on the doorsill, and fell on my hip on the stone step, so it was quite a fall ... and now i've had a relapse ...

IWL: i typed "cytomel side effects" into google, and guess what i got (among others!): heat intolerance aka hot flashes ...

i'm 58, was on hrt for 7 years (lo-dose patch, till i was about 55), and am not sure i shouldn't go back on it -- the lo-dose patch wasn't tested in that hrt test ...

"heat intolerance" may be caused by the 125 dosage i'm on ... didn't take it last nite and STILL no nausea, but we can only hope ...

ballerinas? i accept the dancing part (good analogy), but mine are clog dancers, not ballerinas ...

PMS is a condition (can be quite serious) in which one's sex hormones are out of balance and you have too much progesterone (or too litle estrogen -- take your pick) ... too much progesterone can make one nuts: hysterical, impatient, mega-irritable, bloated, weepy, excitable, *****y (hope that doesn't get bleeped), foul, enraged and enraging ... it's a continuum, from mild for most people to violent for a few -- like when i tried to slap my daughter's face (once, i went off it immediately, and have been spoiling her rotten ever since )... she's a lovely person, an actor in TO ...

so i think it's the dosage (125), and i'll reduce it (i have more bottles of synthro, in more dosage ranges, than you can imagine) ...

thanks all -- you've been a great help, particularly when i'm too weak to go out ...

jb

ps. cytomel does not cause a funny taste in my mouth, but we're all different; my allergy shots did!

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 10-18-2003).]

Closed Thread