It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

stardust39 HB User
Thumbs up Gray hair..

I thought this was real interesting...

One Gray Hair
Did you know that having just one gray hair before the age of 30 can mean you and you family members have an increased risk for developing thyroid dysfunction?
Thyroid Dysfunction and Prematurely Gray Hair
It has been common medical knowledge for years that individuals who gray prematurely (one gray hair before age 30) are at increased risk for thyroid dysfunction. This means that the genes for thyroid dysfunction tend to be found on the side of the family where relatives have been prematurely gray.
Unfortunately, many doctors are unaware of the association between gray hair and thyroid dysfunction. Furthermore many physicians do not know the true color of patientís hair. Hair color products make it difficult to tell and the topic may be too embarrassing for a physician to discuss comfortably. Often times the only people who know a patientís actual hair color are the patient and her stylist!
An Educational Initiative - "One Gray Hair"
With this in mind, the Thyroid Foundation of America and Daryl Christopher Salons of Boston developed the educational program "One Gray Hair." After being educated by TFA about the connection between prematurely gray hair and thyroid dysfunction, Daryl Christopher stylists will in turn educate their clients about this connection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
You are exactly right. IT is good to see that others are beginning to recognize that again.

I have had gray hairs since before I was 18 (noticed the first one when I was barely 18). I have had hypo symptoms all my life that I know of, but wasn't diagnosed 'til I was 30.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 07:56 PM   #3

Redneck_Girl HB User
i also started going *noticably* gray between the ages of 17 and 18.....had a *near total* thyroidectomy when i was 28 then diognosed as hypo almost a year later.....now at 32 *meds still not regulated* i'm very,very gray! ~but i never gave it a thought, because i personally love my gray~

Old 10-16-2003, 09:31 AM   #4

KazKan HB User
I find this very interesting. I started with a few grays aournd 20,now 36. My blood tests have always been normal but just recently I had a cold nodule part solid part fluid removed. My hair not only needs to be clored but is falling out. I am having blod tests done 3 weeks post surgery to check levels. Very little thyroid tissue was removed so I am hoping no meds will be required. Any takes on this?KK

Old 10-16-2003, 01:15 PM   #5

Rachelyne HB User
This is amazing. I noticed my gray hair when I was around 14. I was the only one in the family with gray hair and the only one with Thyroid problem(I have 7 brothers and sisters). I never had any problem with my thyroid until a year ago where I was diagnosed with Thyroid nodule and cancer. My father had all white hair at age 20. He died of natural cause at age 92. I wonder if he had anything wrong with his thyroid. My two boys have gray hair; they are 11 and 12 years old. I have to follow this more carefully. Thank you for sharing this information with us.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:59 PM   #6

Marisa68 HB User
This is so weird! I'm 35 and had 1 or 2 greys up until last year. I had a HUGE hair dump (lost half) last October and was so sick physically it was scarey. About 10% of the hair I've grown back since then is grey.

Old 10-16-2003, 11:50 PM   #7

brewphyhome HB User
I'm always pleasantly pleased when I see a gray one fall out just like the dark brown ones!

Old 10-19-2003, 12:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
None of the women in my family have had much grey hair, so I never really thought about it. I am 35 and naturally blonde, but in the last few years, I color it one shade lighter, as it's getting drab.

So, when I read this I thought there would be no way for me to see what my real color is, since I have it colored.

WELL, this morning, I was looking closely at my eyebrows, they are a dishwater blondish/light brownish...and low and behold, I found about 4 grey hairs in each brow!!!! LOL

They also seemed kind of flakey, like dandruff....anyone have dandruff in their brows? lol

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypothyroid
Diagnosed in May
Just started Armour

Closed Thread