It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Post does armour thyroid come from factory-farmed pigs?

hi,

it just occurred to me that armour thyroid might come from factory-farmed pigs ... they can be grain fed and USDA approved and still come from factory farms ...

sure hope the answer is a definite "no", because i don't support factory farming and generally eat organic ... ever had an organic turkey? mm-mm -- the turkeys my nanna used to make were, well, organic, the concept of factory farming not have been invented yet ... then i started making my own xmas dinner and the stuff tasted like cardboard -- i persisted, with the idea that it was my cooking of the bird that was wrong and then -- organic came to town! at first, only the pretentious and yuppies bought it, then it became more popular, then i bought one (just about broke the bank tho'), and vi-ola -- nanna's turkey on my table!!

anyway, i'll be realy disappointed if they're factory farmed for armour/parke davis -- hope not!!

jb

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 10-20-2003).]

Old 10-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Why don't you contact the manufacturer direct and just ask them? I would if I knew where to email or call. I'm sure they don't care where the pics come from, they just want that thyroid cut out and delivered to the right department.

Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Jinglebts, I don't know the answer, don't think I want to. I vaguely remember reading some Armour info that said something about the pig being used for food or in the food chain, don't remember the wording. I felt better that they were using the whole pig vs. just the thyroid. Still could be factory farmed though. I don't think I'll read this post again if it goes back to the top of the list. I need Armour and sometimes BACON. IWL

Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
(female)

clairesse HB User
Re: does armour thyroid come from factory-farmed pigs?

not only is armour thyroid not organic (meaning the pigs are fed unsprayed food and therefore would produce unadulterated glandulars), they don't even use pigs that have not been fed antibiotics etc. i don't know if growth hormones are used for pigs, but if they are , they could end up in the medication. i called the company(Forest Phar.) and asked before i switched to armour and now will not use the product. i eat as much organic as possible , buy only organic meat and chickens not fed antibiotics. the company needs to provide a better alternative. does anyone know if there is a more natural thyroid medication? armour is not natural.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I believe we would all be surprised if we knew what was in many of our medications. I believe Premerin is made from horse urine. Several yrs. ago my husband went to the ER with a nosebleed and dr. gave him a shot that stopped it promptly. He asked what it was and dr. replied that it contained urine from a pregnant mare.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I eat pork and I have no problem taking dessicated pig thyroid in order to feel better. I'm sure there are a lot of things in meds and everyday items we use that are bad for us (example: chlorine and fluoride in tap water). It's up to each of us as individuals to determine how much we're willing to give up in order to avoid toxins.

Closed Thread