It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Post Hello from the ICU

Now there's an eye catching subject, don't you think?

I finally had my visit with an Endocrinologist Friday, but at my appointment, I was feeling sooooo awfull. Part of the reason was the BP spike 168/120... hello! I do get slightly elevated at Doctors offices, but never anything close to that area. Over the past week or so, I have been getting dizzy, which has been getting worse. So she admitted me to the Cardiac ICU... did a bunch of tests, some of which are not back yet.

The BP went down over the next few hours, to what is my usual, 120/80 (I do take a very low dose of Diovan - have for years). I had another spike the next day, to 149/98, that went down to 120/80 over an hour or so.

So now I'm home, but I'm still dizzy and also have been having some low grade chest pain with this.

Now the Thyroid... I'm hypo with antibods, and the meds have taken me too low - TSH is now at 0.11. Doc backed down the dose a couple weeks ago, maybe not enough, and it will take a while, of course.

So, what's anyone think? Anything like that sound like what thyroid itself would do, with a nearly non-existend TSH like that????

[This message has been edited by Divermon (edited 09-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2003, 08:44 PM   #2

luke1 HB User
I just had a similar incident with BP readings from 110/60 to 185/110 and I have been lightheaded with brain fog. I called the GP’s office and they thought I should go to the ER. After a few hours in the ER BP got back to normal for me. The hospital doctors did offer an explanation for the erratic BP.

(I have Hashimotos’ and doctors are still trying to adjust my dosage of Synthroid and last week my GP decided to change my heart meds from Atenolol to Toprol).

The following day I met with my GP who said it was not my heart medicine, Toprol, that caused the problem, but he didn’t say it was the Synthroid either. They are the only two meds I take that can effect BP.

I see my endo Monday and I hope she can come up with an explanation.
BTW, my BP is normal today with mild lightheadedness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2003, 08:54 PM   #3

DeadPaladin HB User
First of all did you have hypertension probs in the past???Why do you take diovan??
second: I have hashis/hypo i am not on medication and my BP is 140/80-90 and at times of a panic attack or an anxiety attack can reach 200/110.
I guess the low TSH or the medication you re on can produce high anxiety and hypertension...but if you have a high Bp BACKGROUND i guess it's a bit normal to have sometimes high BP.

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Old 09-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
Luke, in my case it was the Endo who was watching over me in the ICU. FYI, here's what she looked at:

1. Took the usual blood tests, TSH, other general stuff, like potasium. TSH=0.11.
2. Saved all urine over 24 hour period. This was to test creatine (i think) or was it cortosol?
3. Did an MRI scan of the adrenal glands, looking for a mass there. Also did MRI of the renal artery, where it connects to the kidneys. If this is constricted, it can cause eposodic hypertension.
4. Took more blood to check for an somewhat rare adrenal disorder where the adrenals excrete substances that can cause this.
5. Checked cardiac enzymes which were normal.

Most of these test are not back yet, so the cause is unknown.

I'll post what I find out here, for your info. Maybe you can do the same, if you find out anything. I appreciated your post.

Old 09-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
DeadPaladin, thanks for your post ...

I have had mild hypertension for a few years, for which I take 80mg Diovan, 1/day. This controls the BP very well. Whenever I test, I am about 120/80. Sometimes in the Doc's office, the first reading might be up to 138/90, then comes down. I have never had anything hight like the 168/120, and it took hours to come down, but did so on it's own.

Now, with a TSH at 0.11, anxiety would be very easy, wouldn't it? Anxiety often does not seem like anxiety at the time, I know. This just didn't seem at all like anxiety/panic to me. The dizziness is tough too, because I can't drive like this.

Interesting, your BP rising that much. I guess not suprizing. I never checked my BP under anxiety.

Old 09-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #6

DeadPaladin HB User
I really dont know what do you mean with the term mild hypertension...
BP differs from person to person and depends on many many subjects and occasions the person is going through
For example...My first visit to the ER after a panic attack i ve had was because of anxiety and high BP symptoms.some years ago my BP was 120-130/80-90
Now i am overweight...obesse i can say with 105 kg(dunno the exact amount in pounds) and a mitral valve prolapse.
the past 2-3 years i ve been through very difficult situations and my anxiety has grown too much untill a year from now which it went out of control and seems to ruining my life as i have an anxiety disorder along with my thyroid dissorder.
So i guess my BP on my kgs and my situation it's really normal to be 140/80-90.and that i can assure you is not mild hypertension.scientifically speaking ...mild hypertension is 150-160 and up.ask any doc who just doesnt care to prescribe medication just to ease his earnings from the drug companies.
So ... MY OPINION is ...you do not know the exact cause of your HIGH BP ...you just take ativan to control your BP around 120/80.Am i right?
as long as you have no adrenal prob or heart prob i see no reason on taking diovan.but that is only MY OPINION.
as for Hypo and hashis now.Yes it can cause you anxiety and anxiety is like what i call "the invisible enemy".You know NOT when it comes and how it explodes.
Anxiety has many forms of hitting you so that in the end you think it's something else and not anxiety...a severe disease or smthing like this...
You may have NO symptom at all and you may have fast heartbeat and hypertension..that is anxiety.You may feel like you have NO heartbeat ...you may feel so cold and you may produce hypothermia...THAT is anxiety.
believe me i know how anxiety works i ve been fighting it for about 1 year now and seems like everytime i get the upper hand it comes back with a whole bunch of new symptoms just to say to me ..."hey i m here try and beat me if you can"
MO ...it's anxiety that caused the high BP you had two times now...blame it on meds ...or too low TSH...blame it on hashis ...blame it on anything you want but my guess is that you just had a very simple anxiety attack which raised you BP a bit.
I hope i m right so that nothing else is wrong with you and your BP.
as for the diovan MO is ...after recieving your urine test ...which was for cortisol btw....talk it with your endo and the other dc who gave you the medication...
best of luck to you

ps: you re my 100th post

------------------
That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi Divermon,

My blood pressure doesn't move higher with a TSH that low. So, it may not even be related.
I think you need other tests like Free T4 and Free T3 and Reverse T3 to know if your levels are actually too high. TSH doesn't say the whole picture.

Make sure your heart is OK. They need to find out why it is spiking like that. You may need a different blood pressure med, or to exercise and change your diet.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #8

luke1 HB User
Divermom,
While in the ER they did a complete cardiac blood profile plus other blood tests, and EKG and found nothing.

I know that anxiety can cause the BP to skyrocket and sometimes I do have ‘white coat’ high blood pressure. On the day this happened I had no reason to be anxious.

I was on 75mcg Synthroid and that was increased to 100mcg. I started to go hyper and they told me to alternate the 75 with the 100mcg daily. This created more problems for me and finally my GP prescribed 88mcg. I think my BP problems are in the varying dosages of Synthroid.
When my hypoT symptoms became intolerable and because I have had a prior MI and heart disease they did a cardiac catherizaiton just to be sure it wasn’t the heart. Test proved symptoms were not cardiac related so the thyroid test began. TSH was 5.25 (.5 - 5.95), and that’s when the change in Synthroid began, current TSH 1.93 (.32 - 5.0). I mention this because suspected heart problems have to have priority.
I see my endo tomorrow and will post here if she sheds any light on the subject. In the meantime, good luck.
luke

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 09-23-2003).]

Old 09-21-2003, 08:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
"hey i'm here try and beat me if you can" - DeadPaladin, sorry to laugh, but I just had to when I read that, because I know exactly what you mean.

Well, no chest pain today, and just a bit of the dizziness. I even went over to the hospital and drove my car home. I haven't had a BP spike since. I'll probably get more of the results Monday or Tuesday.

If there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, then I think I would guess that the hyperland caused anxiety, which led to panic. It's just that I have had a few panic atacks several years ago, and they wern't anything like this, but as DeadPaladin says... you just never know, it's elusive.

But I do think I might switch GP's. I heard of one in my area who deals with Thyroid quite a lot.... does the other tests as a matter of course, does prescribe Cytomel, etc. Might be a better Doc to have guiding this thing. Even the Endo seemed to only to TSH (plus other non-thyroid tests).

Luke, that was a very interesting link. Thanks for that.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
More chest pain today. But no test results yet.

Interestingly, I found an article at [an un-named top hospital in the Cleveland, OH area] indicating thyrotoxicosis as a cause of high blood pressure.

However, mine was eposodic (nomal, spike, normal), not an overall rise over time. soooo ???

Without any FT tests to go by, I only know my TSH=0.11, plus I have Hyper symptoms (big time)... I'm thinking I need to get rid of some of this T4 in my system, pronto. I'm currently taking 75mcg Levoxly (T4). Does anyone know if just stopping meds for a few days is a problem? I'll see the Doc on Thursday, but I don't want to get any more Hyper than I already am.

[This message has been edited by Divermon (edited 09-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Divermon (edited 09-23-2003).]
(Msg. edited to remove posting links to outside sites)

[This message has been edited by Divermon (edited 10-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Divermon (edited 10-20-2003).]

Old 09-23-2003, 08:21 AM   #11

poizngypsy HB User
Bless you people. Others in the same boat as me. I have been on levoxyl 75mcg for a long, long time now and whenver I have had to increase my dosage I have NEVER had any problems...but...

labs 7/31/03
TSH 5.185 (0.350-5.5)
T4 12.1 (4.5-10.9) high b/c of birth control probably
T3 uptake 26 (22.5-37.0)

based on the TSH there and me feeling tired a lot, my doc increased my Levoxyl from 75mcg to 88mcg. A week after the increase, my BP went up to around 145/80 with my heart rate around 112. My BP is normally ALWAYS on the low end. It's usually below 120/80 even when I'm sitting in the doc's office. SO, because I could feel my BP go up and I had a nurse here at work check it, I freaked out of course b/c I've never had problems with my BP and it doesn't really run in my family. So the doc checked everything out and said it was my body adjusting to the increased dose and give it some time. Well, days would go by and I would feel fine, and then out of the blue I could tell my BP had went up, would have it checked and it would be around 145/80 or so. So, after 3 weeks of the increased dose of T4 the doc told me to start taking it every other day which I did for 2 weeks and had two more episodes of increased BP.

I had my labs drawn here at work in the midst of all this and were as follows:

8/20/03 (10 days after increasing my levoxyl I was trying to get a baseline readin gof FT4/FT3)

FT4 1.59 (0.89-1.80)
FT3 3.0 (2.3-4.2)

then on 9/15/03 (after 3 weeks every day of 88mcg then two weeks of every other day

TSH 7.437 (0.350-5.5)
Free T4 1.27 (0.89-1.80)
Free T3 3.0 (2.3-4.2)

SO, my TSH went up even more and my FT4 went down and my FT3 didn't budge. My doc's office has not called me back since I called a week ago and faxed them my lab results of a higher TSH. I went back on 75mcg of Levoxyl myself and am going to a new doctor this Friday.

So, I don't know what caused my increased BP. I can only attribute it to the increase in dosage since it correlated around the same time. But if my TSH is up then I need more med but what to do if I can't tolerate it b/c of increased BP?

Sky Eagle on here said my body may not be converting T4 to T3 very well. I am still confused on understanding that given my lab values. I understand about T4 being a storage hormone and T3 being the active but I thought if I had too much T4 then my labs would have been higher.

I just hope we can all get ourselves straightened out. I live every day now worrying if my BP is going to go up again.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
I'm going to respond, but I'm not the most knowledgeable, k? My comments will center around just the TSH, like most Doctors, because I understand that. But others here will probably give you more correct and insightfull answers.

Your 9/15/03 TSH is higher then your 7/31/03 TSH. If you do the math, it support that:

You took three weeks of increased T4:
(88mcg-75mcg)=13mcg difference x 21 days = 273mcg increase
Then skipped the 88 only every other day:
88mcg x 7 days (took it every other day = 616mcg decrease
That all adds up to an overall 343mcg decrease over a total of 35 days, or 9.8mcg per day. It as if, for the past 5 weeks, you've been taking a 65mcg dose each day.

So, yeah, no wonder your TSH went up.

Now, to the high BP... I really don't know. In my case it was eposodic (normal usually, with spikes), and the article I found in possible support of it's relevance to thyroid was only in the case of Thyrotoxicosis, which is Hyperthyroidism, which is where I currently am, due to over medication.

I really don't have any insight there for you, except to wonder, if maybe switching brands of T4??? Hopfully, others, with more knowledge that I, will reply.

For me, I'm stopping the meds for a day or so, so I can at least sleep.... oh, and so I don't wind up with an arythmia.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:41 AM   #13

poizngypsy HB User
Divermon,

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much thought the every other day thing was why the TSH went up. Guess I just was shocked at how much it went up and how quickly. Esp since the doc told me to take it every other day. I even thought then, well that isn't going to be consistent.

The BP increases are in spikes. Comes and goes. I have been on synthroid before and levothroid and am now on levoxyl. I don't know if maybe switching brands would help or not. Just thought it was weird that if it's a brand issue why it hasn't occurred before now with the spikes in BP instead of when I upped the dose.

I never had any problems before when upping my dose. But I did go through a 1- 1 1/2 year period of high stress, high anxiety day in and day out for the most part and am wondering if that increase in cortisol that comes with stress perhaps has somehow caused a conversion problem in my body and I'm not coverting T4 to T3 very well and therefore the increased dose just gave me too much T4 for my body giving me hyper symptoms of increased bp and two episodes of palpitations.

I just had one of the nurses her at work do labs on me for antibodies as I've never had that done before. Maybe that'll enlighten me some.

Good luck to all.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
It seems that it takes such a long time for thryroid meds to get in there and releive symptoms. So it would seem to follow, that a decrease would work just as slowly. I have been really hyper, so I stopped meds for two days. Now I'm so tired, it's an effort just to chew food. I just wanted reduce a bit, then I'll continue.

So your BP spikes too? hmmm. For me, since I'm so hyper right now, and it feels like drinking a few cups of coffee, it would not suprize me if some of this is anxiety. But I'll have to keep that thought to myself, and this board. The Docs would love to have the cop-out to wash their hands of the issue. I am told my tests from the ICU are back now and the Endo will call me this afternoon. I can post here what was tested as the possible causes, if you are interested.

I don't want to hear that it's just anxiety, but if all else is clear, I'll have to explore that possibility.

For you, it doesn't look like you are hyper though? But I don't understand enough about this yet. I do understand TSH. But I do not know about FT3&4, and how to interpret them. Maybe someone here will offer coment on that.

Good that you're testing for antibodies. If positive, that might shed some light there.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:42 PM   #15

poizngypsy HB User
well, I just got my antibodies test back as follows:

thyroid peroxidase (TPO) 16 (0-34)
thyroid antithyroglobulin <20 (0-40)

so I guess that blows the theory of me thinking I might have hashimotos. Who knows. I am going to a new doctor this Friday who does alternative med so hopefully, he will be more open minded and have insight. I talked to the doctor here where I work and he was thinking I had too much T4 and that caused the Bp spikes and palpitations. I don't feel "hyper" I am still tired and the only symptoms I've noticed since increasing to 88mcg from 75 mcg was the bp spikes, palpitations and headaches. So maybe it was just too much for my system and I am not converting to T3 very well.

Let us know how your test results came back. Hopefully all will be well.

Closed Thread