It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Post sweating?

So I have noticed that I have sweated a lot more since my partial thyroidectomy (aug. 5). Mostly when I am just simply walking from place to place. I go to university, so I have to obviously get around somehow, but its getting ridiculous when I practially should be bringing a towel to dry off every few feet. Could this be from the surgery or my changing TSH levels? I got blood taken last week, so I am still waiting for the results. I have done this for years, and its a noticable change. Whats your experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
So do I ....

With any exertion at all. But also just sitting here, it comes and goes through the day. When that happens, I get very exhausted very quickly. I have a little fan I turn on me, and that helps. It's like my body suddenly gets overheated or something, and needs to be cooled down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2003, 07:07 AM   #3

ANNETTE H HB User
Lightbulb

I had the sweat glands removed from my underarms Like many here my thermostat has been broken for years and years.If everyone else is cold you can bet I am just fine.This is also a good way to meet others w Hypo/Hyper-T, look around for the flushed faced person fanning themself! My parents are both "sweaters",sister,too. Add heat and we boil! Being hot is a Hyper-T thing but I have several cross-over symptoms. Stay cool http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 10-17-2003, 08:04 PM   #4

ECLR98 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by ANNETTE H:
I had the sweat glands removed from my underarms Like many here my thermostat has been broken for years and years.If everyone else is cold you can bet I am just fine.This is also a good way to meet others w Hypo/Hyper-T, look around for the flushed faced person fanning themself! My parents are both "sweaters",sister,too. Add heat and we boil! Being hot is a Hyper-T thing but I have several cross-over symptoms. Stay cool http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 10-17-2003, 09:49 PM   #5

butterfly092303 HB User
Mine is a little different.I freeze all the time and yet in the middle of the night I wake up soaked from a (cold) sweat.I never get hot.I will be shaking and have to change clothes due to being drinched with sweat.What gives? Any advise? This has been going on since before my surgery.

------------------
follicular cancer surgery 9/23/03 no meds,waiting on appt.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:47 PM   #6

genuck HB User
i get really hot and feel like i'm going to pass out, but hardly sweat. but when i get cold i sweat buckets... all my shirts get pit stains and i have to throw them out , fun.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by butterfly092303:
Mine is a little different.I freeze all the time and yet in the middle of the night I wake up soaked from a (cold) sweat.
same here, when i was hypo (think i've been a little hyper for a week now ... but i'll get hypo again in no time and the same thing will happen -- wake up drenched) ... guess it's just one of the unreported (unlisted by anyone) symptoms of hypo and i have no clue what to do about it, since i'm so cold all the time ... since the thyroid controls everything, makes sense that it should control whether we're cold/hot, and cold sweats -- does that just go along with being unwell? don't know the biology or physiolgy of it ...

jb

Old 10-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

Bosmom posted exactly how i feel on 08-26-2003:

'm hypo-t and am heat and cold intolerant. I was just out to the store for groceries. It's 95 outside today. I forgot to bring my water. When I got home, I looked like I had just stepped out of the shower. I was sweating so bad that my clothes were soaked! And my whole body is ENTIRELY DRAINED! My vision is a little more blurry than usual and I just want to go to bed and lie there the rest of the day. But I must press on. Things to do. Family to take care of.
When I'm inside in the AC, I have to keep a blanket close to me and put some socks on because I get cold. If I turn the AC down, everyone else is hot and I'm still cold. Talk about extere-hot to cold and back again. For a while, I thought I was going through early menopause. But since I found out about the hypo-t, I think that's why the heat and cold intolerance. Has anyone tried those gel packs that go around your neck? They're supposed to keep you cooler. I'm just wondering if they do.

======================================== ==============

that's a great description of how i feel: hot/cold senstivity and i'm hypo ...

thanks, bosmom -- i just cruied the board and happened upon this ...

jb

Old 10-19-2003, 12:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Oh you're very welcome, jinglebts. as a matter of fact, I'm sitting here at 1am at the computer next to an open window in October feeling like I'm standing over a hot stove and I've got goosebumps too! Ooops, now cold.
Barb

Old 10-21-2003, 06:16 AM   #10
Inactive

hypodude HB User
Interesting. I always thought sweating buckets during sleep was a normal thing. Just diagnosed Hypo with a 13.02 TSH....wonder how long I've been like this. Yet I notice since being Hypo, I rarely sweat "normally"...I used to sweat all the time as a kid and in my 20's but it was normal. Now, I barely sweat except in my sleep....weird...

Old 10-21-2003, 05:35 PM   #11

idgirl HB User
FYI My dermatologist (amazing guy) can inject Botox into my armpits, stopping the severe sweating. I dumped all of the old clothes I've ruined, and underarm sweat is no longer a concern! I get these shots about twice a year, and use a mild topical anisthetic for about 10 minutes before hand... feelin no pain.
(This is the same Botox used on people for worry lines on the face, etc.)

Old 10-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #12

idgirl HB User
Talking

FYI My dermatologist (amazing guy) can inject Botox into my armpits, stopping the severe sweating. I dumped all of the old clothes I've ruined, and underarm sweat is no longer a concern! I get these shots about twice a year, and use a mild topical anisthetic for about 10 minutes before hand... feelin no pain.
(This is the same Botox used on people for worry lines on the face, etc.)

Old 10-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #13

TRosebud HB User
I know how everyone of y'all feel that have this sweating problem. My problem started maybe a month after having RAI for Graves Disease. I have done alot of reading on line and found that Robinul Forte helps with my sweating. I am glad there are other things to consider also. My sweating affects my head, face, neck and shoulders so I am not sure it your solutions would work for me. I have had this for 13 years now. I have used the Robinul Forte for maybe 2 or 3 and it does help me.

Closed Thread