It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
Post Tightness around throat

This could just be my imagination, but can your thyroid tighten up in a way that it feels like you're being slightly choked? Because down where my thyroid is, I sometimes feel like I am choking a little bit like someone had their hands around my neck. One time I was sleeping and I woke up in a panic, choking and gasping for air and I was shaking all over. This was also during the time my body was trying to adjust to the meds. And now sometimes I feel like I'm being choked a little bit and sometimes it makes me cough, especially when I'm laying down. Anybody else feel like this?

Old 10-23-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
(female)

BonBe HB User
yes cowgirl, I have felt this way. (choking at night)unable to breath and panic sets in (and coughing as well) turns out it is a goiter and I am dealing with it slow but sure. Prop your pillow up, or if you can raise your head somehow, I found that helped me with the choking feeling. It does cause panic doesnt it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 06:49 AM   #3
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
That one time it really did. Where are goiters located and is it something you can feel on the outside? I really don't want to have a goiter.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

BonBe HB User
Hello Cowgirl

From what I have learned from this board, goiter is what an enlarged thyroid is. In my case it is not so visible from the outside but is def there down under stuff. It was caught on routine spine X-rays on the cervical portion.

It feels like a lump in my throat, food and even water sometimes goes down horribly and painfully slow like I was swallowing a ton of sharp nails and in my mind I felt like what a snake looks like when it is 'consuming its dinner! LOL

When laying down, (on my side) I feel like I am being smothered. (thought it was something else) but turns out it is the trachea that is not in the straight line? Along with the inability to breathe (but not all the time)

My heart would pound and if I put my fingers to the vein on the side of the neck it was throbbing like some old romantic movie star of long long ago (pulsing vein) quite visible. My ears would also seem sort of hollow and everysound was amplified sort of.

I have found that in the meantime (until something happens and or is done) I raised the head of my bed a tad (putting blocks under the headboard feet. seems a bit better as I cannot seem to lie either on back, or side with any degree of ease. Does this help you?

BonBe

Old 10-23-2003, 07:40 AM   #5

confusedbody HB User
I've had the same experience, except my endo said my thyroid is only slightly enlarged. I can't feel it with my fingers, but my trach definitely feels it.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #6

Devrha32 HB User
Hi,

Wow, I have the same thing - I don't have pain when I swallow, but it is very tight as if something is choking me slightly ( all of the time)...

My scan showed a goiter, so I'm hoping meds can shrink it.... I wish the same for you - are you on meds now?

Old 10-23-2003, 12:31 PM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User
I have been on eltroxin for around 5 years, this is all new to me this thing that seems to have taken over my neck. But after the tests and stuff I guess I will find out more.

How about you cowgirl & Confusedbody and Devrha? what meds are you guys on?

Bonbe

Old 10-24-2003, 12:04 AM   #8
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
BonBe, it seems to feel the worst when I'm trying to sleep on my stomach, but the first time, I was on my right side. It does seem to help when I sleep on my back, but I usually wake up feeling like my back needs popped.

If my thyroid is enlarged, could the medicine have done that? I never felt this before the medication. BTW, I'm on my second month of Levothroid and its .025 mg.

Old 10-24-2003, 03:55 AM   #9
(female)

BonBe HB User
gee, Cowgirl

I have been reading the posts here over and over again, and it seems that yes the meds can cause it, and no they can shrink it,and sometimes it just happens. and sometimes it never happens, and so I cannot tell one way or the other. But you need to take the meds....so tis a catch 22 isn't it?

I was say 5 years without this lump, then suddenly it is here. maybe with in six months. I have never felt perfect, and from what I read, maybe I will never feel one hundred percent.

The breathing or lack thereof, does freak me out. I snore like a trooper now (according to our daughter) tween her dad and I must sound like the roof is being blown off. I wake myself up from the '******d leaving breath (strange snore I say) and know it is due to the 'windpipe' not cooperating with my lungs LOL. But to say that the meds caused it, I cannot tell.

My levels are always ok, and my dose has never increased, but then I did not know that I was not suppose to feel this bad all the time. I thought it was just suppose to be part of what is my life now.

This board and all who use it, have shown me that I should NOT be feeling this way, and try to take a more active part in my own health issues. But of course I was brought up to believe doctors know best, and I have just never complained to mine. Until now.

BonBe

Closed Thread